Confirmed with Link: Rangers Acquire Rights to D Nick DeSimone and 4th-Round Pick (2022) for F Brett Howden

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Agreed.

Quinn's biggest fan. But he HAD to be fired after the purge. Replacing him with gallant was a good move. With that said I can wager anything that the very same people here cheering over Quinn's corpse and pumping gallants tires will be posting and moaning about how gallant doesn't play his best players enough mins and gives too much time to bums who shouldn't be out there.

Be prepared...gallant spreads his time out and you're gonna see more 3td and 4th line minutes...that's not always a good thing.
We don’t have a bum 3rd line though. We have a 1OA, a 2OA, and a 21 year old 1st round pick center that Quinn was burying. Some of Kreider, Zib, Blackwell, Strome, Buch, and Panarins minutes should have been distributed more evenly to those kids, especially when Zibanejad was a dead man walking for half the season and when Kreider has his typical cold streaks. Blackwell never should’ve been getting more time than them.

Reactions: 100Eyes

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When Quinn came back after that stretch, he actually was handling things better though. We didn't see the endless line shuffling that we saw prior to his COVID absence. I have said many times, that if Quinn can learn from this and improve, he can be successful. But the damage was done at that point.

I have nothing against Quinn personally. I've spoken to him a few times. He's a nice guy. He just makes decisions behind the bench that make no f***ing sense, and it caused problems. When I talk about the 6-game stretch, I don't care about results. I care about how we played and how players were used. It was night and day.

Put Kris Knoblauch in charge in those late season games against Isles and Boston and you think the way the Rangers looked or the outcome would be any different?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
My biggest issue with quinn, as a Quinn fan, is the teams complete inability to show up for big games. That was an issue his entire tenure. When people point to that, I have no way to answer it because it's totally true

I don't know who it was, maybe @Machinehead, but someone mentioned that under Quinn this team is always slow out of the gate after a break (off-season, bye-week, all-star break etc).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Put Kris Knoblauch in charge in those late season games against Isles and Boston and you think the way the Rangers looked or the outcome would be any different?

That wasn't on Quinn. That was because we were without Kreider, Lindgren and Trouba, our 3 most physical players going up against physical teams.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
My biggest issue with quinn, as a Quinn fan, is the teams complete inability to show up for big games. That was an issue his entire tenure. When people point to that, I have no way to answer it because it's totally true
before the infamous Isles game where Trouba got hurt the rangers went 7-1-2 in April and literally every one of them were a must win.

never understood why that one Isles game is remembered as the must win.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't know who it was, maybe @Machinehead, but someone mentioned that under Quinn this team is always slow out of the gate after a break (off-season, bye-week, all-star break etc).

True for the entire league, not just Quinn. That's why they started syncing up bye weeks. Teams results in games after the bye were universally terrible the first couple of years.

I have also shown numbers months ago that the Rangers are not "slow out of the gate" to start games. Not any more than any other team. They were around average or a bit better. That was measuring goals allowed in the first couple minutes of the game. The Islanders were actually one of the worst.

It's just your classic case of only noticing things about the Rangers because people here watch them closely for every game but don't watch other teams as often or as closely so you don't realize these are things that happen to everyone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
True for the entire league, not just Quinn. That's why they started syncing up bye weeks. Teams results in games after the bye were universally terrible the first couple of years.

I have also shown numbers months ago that the Rangers are not "slow out of the gate" to start games. Not any more than any other team. They were around average or a bit better. That was measuring goals allowed in the first couple minutes of the game. The Islanders were actually one of the worst.

It's just your classic case of only noticing things about the Rangers because people here watch them closely for every game but don't watch other teams as often or as closely so you don't realize these are things that happen to everyone.

I wasn't the one who noticed it, but okay. Just referencing what I read here in response to Inferno.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe The Boar will be the coach who unlocks the secret of Brett Hodwen.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
before the infamous Isles game where Trouba got hurt the rangers went 7-1-2 in April and literally every one of them were a must win.

never understood why that one Isles game is remembered as the must win.
Because we could have caught them if we took those 2 games. They were who we were going to knock out of the playoffs if we actually made it. the fact that they happened to be our biggest rival just added some extra pressure.

In a sense, those games were 4 pt swings

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The line hanging argument is nonsense to me. Iirc correctly, and I'm sure either @SA16 or @Irishguy42 could correct me, but Quinn has always shuffled lines *less* than most coaches, not more. If anything he keeps lines together too long
Me trying to remember what I had said in the past about this

pHwSOd9.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tawnos

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
How tf was he a 1st round pick? How?!?!

And even if Nils is a pretty good top 4 defenseman (no guarantee), this trade is still so nauseating. If I see McDonagh with a 3rd Cup, I’m gonna lose it.

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This is great news for a couple reasons. But most importantly, Drury sees the reality of Howden. Something Gorton, Quinn, and Carp couldn't see. It makes me feel better that Drury not only didn't want to protect him, but decided to trade him.
f***ing this right here. The fact that Gorton loved (or at least liked) Howden should have been a huge red flag. Hajek too.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
DQ jamming him in every night really f***ed this kids development. Ironic, a coach “known” for development ruined this kid no doubt.
Yea there is something odd about the Howden experiment. Something just doesn’t add up. Scouts still love him. He was a 1st round pick (yes I know plenty of them bust but it’s still something to consider). And he was supposed to be good at playmaking, but he just sucked at it (and at nearly everything else).

In any case, something had to be done to address the issue much, much sooner (AHL time or less minutes or something).

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's actually kind of a shame they're not keeping Desimone. He'd be a good add for Hartford since they're losing Loverde, and potentially Raddysh, next year. They need a 1RD for HFD to take some of the minutes and ease Schneider in next year.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's actually kind of a shame they're not keeping Desimone. He'd be a good add for Hartford since they're losing Loverde, and potentially Raddysh, next year. They need a 1RD for HFD to take some of the minutes and ease Schneider in next year.
IIRC it was just kind of a throw-away line in an article by Vince or Carp that the Rangers wouldn't be signing him, and that it was just done to clear a contract from Vegas' books. I guess there's still a chance? He's 26 and has never played an NHL game, and is from Buffalo, so maybe he'd be open to an AHL deal with Hartford with a good salary? We do need another RD.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

IIRC it was just kind of a throw-away line in an article by Vince or Carp that the Rangers wouldn't be signing him, and that it was just done to clear a contract from Vegas' books. I guess there's still a chance? He's 26 and has never played an NHL game, and is from Buffalo, so maybe he'd be open to an AHL deal with Hartford with a good salary? We do need another RD.

yeah the reason he was included does not have to control what happens next
I am not familiar with the player, (ironically he joined Union just after their title run, when my connections to the team weakened)
but given what Vegas paid for him ~15 weeks ago, he must have some value

Nick Desimone (b.1994) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
2021-Apr-12 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks to Vegas Golden Knights for round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and round 3 pick in the 2022 draft

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I am not familiar with the player, (ironically he joined Union just after their title run, when my connections to the team weakened)

2021-Apr-12 Traded from Chicago Blackhawks to Vegas Golden Knights for round 2 pick in the 2021 draft and round 3 pick in the 2022 draft
Wasn't this part of the Janmark deal? IIRC, The 2nd and 3rd were from Chicago to San Jose for Janmark at 50%, and SJ subsequently retained more salary in the deal. SJ then sent Desimone to Vegas in that follow-up deal

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

That was part of a convoluted three-team trade with Chicago, San Jose, and Vegas moving pieces, primarily Janmark. Janmark was traded from CHI to SJ at 50% retained, and then from SJ to LV at another 50% retained along with DeSimone; LV also got Chicago's 5th in 2022. LV sent Buffalo's 5th in 2022 to SJ, this year's 2nd and next year's 3rd to CHI. So that deal was really about Janmark and cap retention with DeSimone essentially being a throw-in.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Wasn't this part of the Janmark deal? IIRC, The 2nd and 3rd were from Chicago to San Jose for Janmark at 50%, and SJ subsequently retained more salary in the deal. SJ then sent Desimone to Vegas in that follow-up deal

That was part of a convoluted three-team trade with Chicago, San Jose, and Vegas moving pieces, primarily Janmark. Janmark was traded from CHI to SJ at 50% retained, and then from SJ to LV at another 50% retained along with DeSimone; LV also got Chicago's 5th in 2022. LV sent Buffalo's 5th in 2022 to SJ, this year's 2nd and next year's 3rd to CHI. So that deal was really about Janmark and cap retention with DeSimone essentially being a throw-in.

thanks guys
wow - HockeyDB really mixed up on that trade's details

Vegas Golden Knights Acquire Mattias Janmark From The Chicago Blackhawks
VEGAS (April 12, 2021) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, April 12, the following roster transactions: the team has acquired forward Mattias Janmark from the Chicago Blackhawks and a fifth-round pick in exchange for a second-round selection in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft and a third-round selection in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft. The Golden Knights are also sending a fifth-round selection in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft (originally belonging to Buffalo) to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for defenseman Nick DeSimone.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Mac n Gs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
f***ing this right here. The fact that Gorton loved (or at least liked) Howden should have been a huge red flag. Hajek too.

Both Howden and Hajek are guys who have/had all the tools to be solid valuable players, but just...didn't develop. Howden has good size, good skating, some skill...just seems to really lack a sense of how to be productive at all on the ice. Not just points but in doing things that positively impact the game. Just trying hard and practicing well isn't enough in the NHL. I see why they wanted to give him chances, but it wasn't happening.

Hajek has good size, mobile and pretty good skater, can handle the puck well, but again just never really took that step for "having the pieces" to "putting them together"

I think Hajek might still be able to do that somewhere but he's being passed by other prospects in the Rangers organization. Maybe down the road we'll see him as a solid 3rd pair guy on some other team

The tools with these guys were there, but it never came together.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know the McDonagh trade sucks, but hopefully we get over it soon. You win some, you lose some. Same year we sent Boston 20 games of a broken Rick Nash for Lindgren, a pick that we used to get K'Andre Miller, and a guy we flipped for Ryan Strome. Again, sometimes the scouting comes through and you target the right guys, other times it doesn't pan out. The McDonagh trade can be partially salvaged by Lundkvist, but otherwise, it was one of those that didn't work out. Literally everyone has them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad