Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire Patrick Kane, Cooper Zech for 2023 2nd (Becomes 1st in 2024 or 2025 if NYR Make ECF), 2025 4th, A. Welinski; Condt'l 2025 3rd to AZ

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Fair. I guess you can claim the "mortgaging the future" portion on the opportunity cost of investing in those players versus building an organization from the ground up. Good points either way though.
Totally agreed. A bit of a pedantic argument on my side. My main point is, I totally understand why some folks (myself included) are worried about injecting Kane into the lineup even though we got him for very little. Metrics show that the last three years, he's been a FAR cry from the player he was in his prime. Plus, it's always hard to quantify what effect this might have on other players who get pushed down the lineup.

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about this.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One of my favorite players of all time. So excited to watch him.

Situation well played by Drury. Got a good deal.

Hate the ECF conditions mostly for fan/emotional reasons (giving up so many extra picks over the years and still not having Cups) but it’s obviously fair and not surprising. 2024/25 will give them the chance to recoup picks in other ways.

Let’s go to battle. Pressure is on.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I hate that Drury blinked. No reason to give into the conditional 1st....especially if not expressly for winning the Cup.

C’mon man give it a break already. You’re not going to completely bend them over the barrel. You may need to deal with this team in the future, you need to make the deal have some semblance of fairness to it.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Good job Drury!

giphy (9).gif

giphy (8).gif

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I hope this is not the old we look awesome on paper then it does not translate on the ice like in years past. We have an overaged Tarasenko and Kane and Tarasenko has been less than stellar so far.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I hate to tell you all this but, this is it. This is the year to win. The Rangers will not ice a better team than this for years, perhaps even decades.

The clock started ticking when we signed Panarin and Fox walked on water at the NHL level. The clock started ticking much faster when Laf and Kakko disappointed and every other pick besides Chytil and Miller busted. The clock is ticking alarmingly fast as Igor's deal is 2 years from expiry.

This is our shot whether you like it or not, suggest getting with the program because you're in for a long and miserable next few years if this don't work out. The difference is that we're in for that long and miserable next few years whether we traded for Tara/Kane or not.

And I say all this as someone who adamantly didn't want him before.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
condition is doo doo but were still getting him for pennies on the dollar.

we also still have a good pipeline.

This is like a way better version of the MSL deal in 2014

Reactions: DanishRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I look at it like this. For years we chased this idea that "well if we finally get high picks, we'll finally have stars."

We got the high picks and we got two decent players who might be really good down the road. That's what we always had. It's not worth the hassle, it turns out, imo.

I just want to have enough draft capital to sustain ourselves. Beyond that, our elite players (besides Kane now) are a 6OA sort of reach that we didn't pick, a 66OA that didn't we didn't pick, a 118OA, and an undrafted free agent that we didn't sign. If you count Tarasenko as elite, a 16OA that we passed up on. Pretty diverse crew.

We should build our team with the best tools available and forget blueprints. Need be, we'll just buy stars. We're the f***ing Rangers.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Already? I said one thing....I'm entitled to an opinion.

Maybe I was confusing you with the other guy that was incessantly bitching but the point still stands, you aren’t going to get a player for nothing, you need to give up a least something of value. A 2024 or 2025 is about as low value as you can get in this situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad