Post-Game Talk: Rangers 3, Penguins 1 - One Word for This Powerplay

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd rather have a high event PP that can actually score some goals.

But it's kind of moot, because now we can't score and we're bleeding GA.

It’s funny how you’ve been mum for a couple days and then we have a bad night on the PP and you immediately pop up.

I don’t see Kessel or Hornqvist adding anything to what this PP needs right now. Kessel would be ghosting just as hard and Horny would probably be on PP2 as he was last year for large stretches because Malkin and Crosby refused to shoot and Jake is just there to float around and look like an ass.

Reactions: Angrrus

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Horny wouldn’t have been used right here... but it’s irrelevant... Hornqvist isnt a big dude... he isn’t really skilled... he is all heart and soul with a good hockey IQ

there are tons of guys who can fill that role physically... but few who want to...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I find it funny that the mods haven't done anything about the incessant Hornqvist bitching in every thread. But I guess that makes sense given who one of them roots for.

He's gone. The power play was still a disaster when it mattered with him last year.

Anyways, the most frustrating part about this game is we have no regulation wins in nearly 15% of the season and the organization is just going to allow a 4 game break pass without firing the coach and expect a bunch of "video" to suddenly solve the problems Saturday.

Isles while completely dissect this time apart. And the Pens could actually fire their coach and hope for a rallying around it versus sitting around and expecting things to change when they've been awful for 10 games straight and somehow are still firmly in the playoffs.

They will fire Sullivan, but I guarantee they do it way too late and we miss out on a lottery 1st.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The thing about this team is that they have Sidney Crosby on the top line, and he's one of the greatest to ever do it. They also have Jake Guentzel who has been a really good player and currently Bryan Rust who was a great player on the other side of the top line. Therefore they have a great top line and this team is great. On the second line they have Evgeni Malkin who is one of the best to ever do it and Jason Zucker who looks good and Kasperi Kapanen who also looks good, has wheels and can be fan. They are a matchup nightmare for any line that faces them and this team is great.

On the third line you have Teddy Bleuger who is a beast and Jared McCann who is just brimming with potential. I like the combination of them together not to mention Brandon Tanev is also really good. A heart and soul guy with tons of wheels and speed to boot. They are really good. Then you have gritty guys on the fourth line like the great find Jankowski to go with O'Conner who looks like he could really be something. They are loaded with depth too once they get back Rodrigues and ZAR. Quality.

The entire blueline is injured right now but when healthy I'll list them out okay and starting off they will have Kris Letang. A dynamic presence who dominates most shift, paired with Brian Dumoulin who doesn't get enough love from the national guys but is quietly one of the best dmen in the game. Beyond them you have Mike Matheson who came over in a steal of a trade from one of the finest dudes in the game JR. After that you have the young stud Marino, another great find by JR. Then after that you've got Petts who is quietly becoming a great one and replaced Sprong who...lol, fans like Sprong? After that you've got POJ who is another just studly find by JR coming over for Phil who definitely wasn't traded a year too late.

In summation, we have at least 18 NHL players and so this team is good.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
tenor.gif

We need a new head coach now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s funny how you’ve been mum for a couple days and then we have a bad night on the PP and you immediately pop up.

I don’t see Kessel or Hornqvist adding anything to what this PP needs right now. Kessel would be ghosting just as hard and Horny would probably be on PP2 as he was last year for large stretches because Malkin and Crosby refused to shoot and Jake is just there to float around and look like an ass.

The PP's been shit for some time. I skipped the game after the Boston debacle...I'll be taking a few breaks this year for my sanity.

If you're watching Rust and Kapanen handle the puck on the LH side and our non-presence in front of the net and don't see what Kessel and Hornqvist would add to this PP, or look at our reduced effectiveness quantitatively and still can't figure it out, then I don't know what to tell you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The PP's been shit for some time. I skipped the game after the Boston debacle...I'll be taking a few breaks this year for my sanity.

If you're watching Rust and Kapanen handle the puck on the LH side and our non-presence in front of the net and don't see what Kessel and Hornqvist would add to this PP, or look at our reduced effectiveness quantitatively and still can't figure it out, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don’t really think about my ex’s or the decisions I could’ve made much.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t really think about my ex’s or the decisions I could’ve made much.

Those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it.

Our PP production taking a giant nosedive as soon as the 2nd best PP producer of the previous 3 years left, and then struggling even worse as soon as one of the best net-front players in the league was dealt, were about the most obvious and predictable consequences imaginable.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Those who don't understand history are condemned to repeat it.

Our PP production taking a giant nosedive as soon as the 2nd best PP producer of the previous 3 years left, and then struggling even worse as soon as one of the best net-front players in the league was dealt, were about the most obvious and predictable consequences imaginable.

The PP failed in the post season both those seasons as did the team.

Also your example doesn't really work given what Boston is doing after losing their PP QB.

Plenty of teams lose major pieces to their power play and still have success. The issue is Crosby and Malkin blow on the power play and our coach is just dandily throwing them out there every night with no method.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At least DeSmith didn’t play awful, so there is that.

Reirden is really killing it with the power play. It’s time to hire a full staff in the front office AND the coaching staff. Hire a power play coach, ffs.

If the team is too cheap and has to keep Sully strictly because of his contract, at least hire an assistant to handle the PP.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The PP failed in the post season both those seasons as did the team.

Kessel tied for the team high in PP points in the '18-'19 playoffs, and Hornqvist tied for the team high in PP points in the '19-'20 playoffs.

If we failed, it wasn't because of them. Even using unrepresentative micro-sample sizes.

But more importantly, if the brass can't see that the present team needs to add the elements those 2 brought in order to get their shit together, then we're doomed to have a godawful powerplay for the rest of the Crosby/Malkin era.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Kessel tied for the team high in PP points in the '18-'19 playoffs, and Hornqvist tied for the team high in PP points in the '19-'20 playoffs.

If we failed, it wasn't because of them. Even using unrepresentative micro-sample sizes.

But more importantly, if the brass can't see that the present team needs to add the elements those 2 brought in order to get their shit together, then we're doomed to have a godawful powerplay for the rest of the Crosby/Malkin era.

Who gives a shit about players producing on a PP that sucked and led to us getting swept and winning 1 game?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
To say the power play's issues are about effort is a cop out and some of you are better than that. I don't think we are watching the same team. Effort is the last thing this team lacks. It's about using your brain, working together, and having a plan on the PP. Shoot the puck aggressively. Shit happens when you shoot, lanes open up and all the sudden there's more space to move. They're a step behind on the PP because they are stationary, and they are stationary because there's no where to go and no space, and there is no space because they are not shooting and not forcing the other team to react. You can do the chicken before the egg thing if you'd like. Just shoot for f***'s sake.

That mindset extends to Malkin's 5v5 game, he is so passive and defers to his wingers. It drives me crazy. He is most dangerous when he has a shooter's mindset and also has wingers who can score. I did see him skating with purpose tonight and I'm seeing him become more confident. I think he'll have a breakout game soon. I've been waiting for some nastiness and there was a little tonight.

I was very happy with the game and the team is starting to come together. Some of you will never be happy with this team and you enjoy complaining.

Reactions: vodeni and hskey

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
To say the power play's issues are about effort is a cop out and some of you are better than that. I don't think we are watching the same team. Effort is the last thing this team lacks. It's about using your brain, working together, and having a plan on the PP. Shoot the puck aggressively. Shit happens when you shoot, lanes open up and all the sudden there's more space to move. They're a step behind on the PP because they are stationary, and they are stationary because there's no where to go and no space, and there is no space because they are not shooting and not forcing the other team to react. You can do the chicken before the egg thing if you'd like. Just shoot for f***'s sake.

That mindset extends to Malkin's 5v5 game, he is so passive and defers to his wingers. It drives me crazy. He is most dangerous when he has a shooter's mindset and also has wingers who can score. I did see him skating with purpose tonight and I'm seeing him become more confident. I think he'll have a breakout game soon. I've been waiting for some nastiness and there was a little tonight.

I was very happy with the game and the team is starting to come together. Some of you will never be happy with this team and you enjoy complaining.

We just got dunked by one of the worst teams in the league. Being happy about tonight would be insanity.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
We just got dunked by one of the worst teams in the league. Being happy about tonight would be insanity.
Rangers are far from being one of the worst. They are a talented but vulnerable bubble team. We also suck on the road and miss some super-important players on our defense. There are more problems, but it´s not like we were favorites coming into this game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, I know. And what? I was talking about the Rangers.

The Rangers f***ing suck.

We did jack shit for two periods when we got multiple power plays and then let them make simple as hell plays into the back of the net. Tonight was an absolute joke.

If this organization had any aspirations to ACTUALLY be a contender they'd fire Sullivan's ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2