Post-Game Talk: Rangers 3, Penguins 1 - One Word for This Powerplay

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Special teams are the whole story this year.

5v5, we are more than okay. Both the PK and the PP are trash.

They didn't exactly set the world pn fire 5-on-5 either.

Overall lazy uninterested effort from our top paid players. Pathetic.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Can’t wait for the excuses and “positives” that some will attempt to sling out here...

This team is damn lucky to be where they are in the standing right now, DAMN lucky. They are a flaming pile of dog shit in a dumpster fire, floating down shit creek.

It’s the same shot over and over again and nothing ever changes. It’s beyond maddening but par for the course...

Sir, you are one of (very) few reasonable people in the Pens fanbase.

Hats off to you.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Sid & Geno really need to be benched from all PPs.

Put scrubs out there. I don't care. Go 5-10 games without their "reward" of PP time.

They'd have to do it.

But if they did it - they would've antagonize these self absorbed primadonnas completely, and they would go into a full tank mode and wold've started tanking HC, assistant coaches, the whole front office and a parking lot janitor too. Not gonna happen.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Who gives a shit about players producing on a PP that sucked and led to us getting swept and winning 1 game?

Anyone who cares about correctly identifying problems on the team, probably.

The PP failed in the post season both those seasons as did the team.

Also your example doesn't really work given what Boston is doing after losing their PP QB.

Plenty of teams lose major pieces to their power play and still have success. The issue is Crosby and Malkin blow on the power play and our coach is just dandily throwing them out there every night with no method.

You're misrepresenting my argument. I never said teams couldn't lose major pieces to their powerplay and still succeed. Of course they can.

I said that this team needed a skilled RH shot to open up the ice for LH shot stars and a good net front presence, and our clear and immediate decline after each of these losses is proof of that.

Just don't pretend to be shocked and look everywhere except right in front of you if they make no personnel changes and still stink up the joint with the man advantage. This shit hasn't gotten better in a year, and only got worse after Hornqvist left. It's not getting better without reinforcements to address their patently obvious shortcomings.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
This was the first game where they looked fluid skating wise and effort from all. Even in a loss, that's the most promising thing I can take away. One hiccup by Ruhwedel DOG-OTG penalty. Not taking the man in front is the issue on the PK. Kreider had nobody to detract him. It was a great tip by him. The Pens were on a real down swing at that point. The PP obviously was bad, and the turnovers are more a problem than the actual PP itself. *GENO*

Maybe the loss is just a giant leap forward since they looked like they cared? I hope so....

Reactions: Giskard

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
This coaching staff is out of ideas. Nothing ever changes regardless of the issues. The team looks the same game after game.
Ya Know I don't think there are any ways to reinvent the wheel, same way about hockey & when your best players are tanking, there is NOTHING a coaching staff can do

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Rangers fan here, I come in peace, I just wanted to share this, did anyone notice Sid and Adam Fox laughing together during the Howden - Kapanen fight? Are they friends in real life?

Capture333.JPG

Fox probably said, hey sid, ya wanna go, eh?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
This team has a goal differential of +3 in 62:30 minutes of powerplay time. They scored 4 goals in 61:27 minutes of 5 vs 4.
In 52:08 minutes of shorthanded time, they are -8 with 9GA in total.

With how close those games have been, that just kills any team. 5vs5 we are fine in my opinion. We give up too many high danger scoring chances, but even if we get to average level there we should be more than fine 5 on 5. But with those special teams, especially given the fact that the PP does not only not score, they are actually creating 0 momentum for us, it will be pretty hard to get into playoffs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know I've beaten the Sullivan thing to a dead horse, but I really feel it's needed to emphasize that the Penguins are only "the powerplay and PK stop sucking" or "Crosby and Malkin start producing" away from being right on the level of Washington and Boston.

Are there problems with the team? Of course. But this team is better than what their record and goal differential indicates. Right now, they're a decently good analytical team (probably a low seed playoff team, in the 10-15 range in the NHL) with terrible special teams, bad goaltending (on the overall, DeSmith was very good last night) and bad top-6 production. It looks like the goaltending is rounding back into form after that horrid Flyers series, but this team really just needs to fix its special teams and top-6 for it to be a contender. And to me, that falls on the big guys (Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel and Letang mainly) more than the coaches.

If the defense ever gets healthy, it looks really good with the addition of POJ and the improvement of Pettersson. That's even with Dumoulin's early season struggles. The 3rd line of McCann-Blueger-Tanev is an absolutely great defensive 3rd line, and Blueger has been very productive on the year overall. The 4th line is kinda bland, especially with Jankowski cooling off, but you have a bunch of options that can make it work. The goaltending is rounding back into at least fine form. It falls on the big guys to hold up their end of the bargain now.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This power play is absolutely embarrassing, it's one thing not to score but to not even generate any momentum? Why do we even play POJ and Marino there, we need them in defense and since we ain't gonna score, might as well put Weber or some other scrub. Geno on the point was a dumb idea when he was younger and faster but it worked from time to time because PP1 has too much talent not to. It can't get away with pure talent any more especially if nobody f***ing moves. If you are not going to move, put O'Connor/Zucker in front of the goalie and shoot from everywhere, can't be any worse than this abomination.
Also, line 1 is doing the usual thing it does when Rust is with Sid - they look great for a game or two then they go ice cold. Still 5 on 5, we were fine all things considered. Such a dumb way to lose, especially when the next games are postponed. If this hasn't happened many times in the past few years, I would say the postponed games would be a chance to learn from our mistakes but with Sully being Sully, I really wouldn't count on it.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@Empoleon8771 Absolutely. This team is going to have it's moments when the entire taxi squad is in the lineup. So you have to be prepared for that. Sid has to be better, though. He still looks way too casual out there.

The team - collectively - played well enough, but didn't get the knock out punch from their leader. Because if it's a normal regular season, I think you're satisfied if they manage to score on the PP while playing a road game like that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'll try to take the positives outta this one.

- Very, very solid game from CDS. Shame we wasted it, but a good sign for the future. Dat glove.
- Marino and POJ taking on the big minutes like thoroughbreds
- 2nd line gelling. Zuck 3 goals in 4 games
- Despite missing 5 defensemen (and maybe BECAUSE we are), we limited their shots and high dangers chances drastically compared to previous games. Our tightest game of the season.
- Can't really be angry with winning 3 out of 4 against them.

Sucks to sit on a loss for a while, but this break couldn't have come at a better time. Specials teams lost them the game and they'll be able to get like 3 practices in and work on it. Some free days for our hurt guys to recuperate without penalty. If we played tomorrow there'd be several guys who would be too exhausted to perform IMO, especially with the snowstorm complicating travel.

Not thrilled with our record, but at least they're starting to play smarter.

counterpoint negative take: we played about as well as we could 5 on 5, we actually played our best game defensively, we drew a lot of penalties and had good opportunities to score, we got really solid goal tending for once, and we played one of the weaker teams in our division—and we still f**king lost! Not a good sign...

Reactions: ncm7772 and vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
With all the grief we give the PP, and every single bit of it is deserved (deserves more, actually!), I'm surprised we're not losing our minds more about the PK. Statistically, it worse (25th) than the PP (23rd). How are there EIGHT teams with a worse powerplay? I don't get it.

we got a couple fluky goals (like goalie mistake) that were on the PP but it was nothing our players did...the PP is actually worse than the numbers would suggest

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'll try to take the positives outta this one.

- Very, very solid game from CDS. Shame we wasted it, but a good sign for the future. Dat glove.
- Marino and POJ taking on the big minutes like thoroughbreds
- 2nd line gelling. Zuck 3 goals in 4 games
- Despite missing 5 defensemen (and maybe BECAUSE we are), we limited their shots and high dangers chances drastically compared to previous games. Our tightest game of the season.
- Can't really be angry with winning 3 out of 4 against them.

Sucks to sit on a loss for a while, but this break couldn't have come at a better time. Specials teams lost them the game and they'll be able to get like 3 practices in and work on it. Some free days for our hurt guys to recuperate without penalty. If we played tomorrow there'd be several guys who would be too exhausted to perform IMO, especially with the snowstorm complicating travel.

Not thrilled with our record, but at least they're starting to play smarter.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the bolded aren't coincidences. It's almost like when you play better defensively, your goalie looks better. Whodathunkit?

Reactions: ncm7772

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The fact that we have an unprotected 1st should make their decision much more important.

I guess they can just make JR fall on that sword though.
True. The situation with the pick is really a game changer. Hopefully it pushes them to quicker action.

Plus, we're coming up on Disco Dan levels of post-cup latitude for Sullivan. Bylsma got five freaking seasons after the 2009 cup, and in that time the best years of our core players were lost playing with waiver fodder "keeping the band together" despite the clear flaws the team had. If Mario and ownership have learned anything from that, they should be even quicker to make a change now that Sid and G are 33+ and not 25 anymore.

Sully's had 3 years to replicate the form of those cup winning teams. Only in the first season did we look like a real post season contender. Things are on a clear trajectory, just as they were with Shero/Bylsma IMO

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
counterpoint negative take: we played about as well as we could 5 on 5, we actually played our best game defensively, we drew a lot of penalties and had good opportunities to score, we got really solid goal tending for once, and we played one of the weaker teams in our division—and we still f**king lost! Not a good sign...

It’s kind of obvious that their PP is the key to their season.

If it doesn’t get fixed, I see zero chance they make the playoffs and then give the Wild a high pick... and we all get angry.

Or they fix the PP and just make the playoffs.

If this PP stays this putrid for the entire season, it’s going to cost them a swing of at least 15-20 points in the standings and that will be their death kneel.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad