Post-Game Talk: Rangers 3, Penguins 1 - One Word for This Powerplay

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Firing the coach won't do anything if the stars are playing like shit. Look at what is going on with their powerplay, they fired Recchi because their poweprlay sucked and now it still sucks with Rierden. Which is more likely, that they just keep hiring bad PP coaches or the players on the PP are bad at it? The coaching staff can't control guys like Crosby and Malkin every second. You can't just keep firing coaches because your stars aren't getting it done like they're paid to get it done, especially considering they've already lost their GM this year.

I can see Sullivan getting fired after the year, but there's not a chance that they fire him now and firing him now would very likely solve nothing. The problems of this team right now fall squarely on the big guns, and firing the coach won't solve those problems. You can have Scotty Bowman as the coach on this team and it wouldn't matter if the big guns keep playing like this.

Malkin and Crosby have both generally done nothing at 5v5 this year. Guentzel still looks like he's afraid of going into the dirty areas due to his injury last year. Letang has been a no-show offensively this year. The big guns on the powerplay are continuously trying to do the same stuff that worked 5 years ago, despite it not being able to work now due to the age of the big guns and the loss of Hornqvist and Kessel. Those are all problems with a group of about 4-6 players, and if you don't fix those issues, literally no other moves you make matter.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I bet if Letang is traded he lights it up on his new team’s goals pp

Sid and Geno are why this pp is horrible.

agree with bolded but I don’t think Letang is sick on the PP anymore.

Just ur average PP1 QB. Makes more good plays than bad but not elite at the point. (Still a monster at 5v5 tho.)

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
agree with bolded but I don’t think Letang is sick on the PP anymore.

Just ur average PP1 QB. Makes more good plays than bad but not elite at the point. (Still a monster at 5v5 tho.)

I have the opinion that Crosby and Malkin have always been bad powerplay players, but they produce on the powerplay due to the insane amount of talent on the powerplay unit.

Guys like Gonchar, Hornqvist and Kessel are elite powerplay players. Crosby and Malkin are elite players that put up points on the powerplay.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I mean we are missing our #1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 defensemen or something like that lol
I went into this game thinking the same thing, and i didn't think we had much of a chance. but after watching the game and seeing some guys playing their hearts out. only to lose in such a way :madfire:
this is one we should of won.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
What a powerplay!!

Let’s play everybody on-wing so nobody has a one timer option and all passes are longer and cross body. Amazing PP strategy.

I guess we have some really smart powerplay coaching here.

Or amazingly caring and dedicated star players, who heed every word out of PP coach's mouth.

Reactions: OswaldBates

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Pens fans: So glad Rex is gone, next PP coach can’t be any worse.
Todd Reirden: Hold my hair regrowth tonic

How many PP coaches must come and go before the fanbase even starts concidering that the problem lies with performers, not with the overseers?

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
And yeah, Guentzel is as much to blame as the legends. He is doing NOTHING. Sid was doing some little things right in this game, imo. Geno had his good moments but he is a poison on that powerplay. Jake is nothing.

Excep that his cap hit is half as big as Sid's and Geno's. So he is not the primary reason.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
How many PP coaches must come and go before the fanbase even starts concidering that the problem lies with performers, not with the overseers?
when we see them try some deferent things and it continues not to work. as of now we keep trying the same thing expecting deferent results.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I watch the Rangers and after about 25 seconds I see what they are trying to accomplish - Zibenajad on the off angle one timer/Fox with the screen shot from the top of them umbrella/Panarin with the one timer from the right circle (after moving the puck low). These are all basic plays that they will use based on what the PK is giving them. Teams need to have an idea of what they are trying to do once they set up. My Peewee teams have an idea of what they are trying to do (give it to the kid with the huge shot and crash the net).

After watching them the last 2 years since Kessel left, what is the Pens basic plan, what are they trying to set up? I still can't even figure that out.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
when we see them try some deferent things and it continues not to work. as of now we keep trying the same thing expecting deferent results.

We don't know what is being said in video sessions and practises. We only see the excecution on the ice, or lack thereof.

If they sabotage what the coaches are saying, we won't see what is being tried in the first place.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
We don't know what is being said in video sessions and practises. We only see the excecution on the ice, or lack thereof.

If they sabotage what the coaches are saying, we won't see what is being tried in the first place.
then the coach goes to the gm and he fixes it. ether the players go or the coach.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Firing the coach won't do anything if the stars are playing like shit. Look at what is going on with their powerplay, they fired Recchi because their poweprlay sucked and now it still sucks with Rierden. Which is more likely, that they just keep hiring bad PP coaches or the players on the PP are bad at it? The coaching staff can't control guys like Crosby and Malkin every second. You can't just keep firing coaches because your stars aren't getting it done like they're paid to get it done, especially considering they've already lost their GM this year.

I can see Sullivan getting fired after the year, but there's not a chance that they fire him now and firing him now would very likely solve nothing. The problems of this team right now fall squarely on the big guns, and firing the coach won't solve those problems. You can have Scotty Bowman as the coach on this team and it wouldn't matter if the big guns keep playing like this.

Malkin and Crosby have both generally done nothing at 5v5 this year. Guentzel still looks like he's afraid of going into the dirty areas due to his injury last year. Letang has been a no-show offensively this year. The big guns on the powerplay are continuously trying to do the same stuff that worked 5 years ago, despite it not being able to work now due to the age of the big guns and the loss of Hornqvist and Kessel. Those are all problems with a group of about 4-6 players, and if you don't fix those issues, literally no other moves you make matter.

I disagree. The PP and PK are things that the coaching staff is responsible for. They are both in the bottom ten of the league.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Yeah, that was the only one of 6 powerplays where Geno moved his feet and did something right. The other 5, he was a poison. Then again, it´s not just him, even if he plays it right it still sucks because nobody is good there. It´s just that Geno was the most noticeable in these bad powerplays tonight. There are games when it is Letang. There are games where it is Sid. Geno was the biggest poison tonight but they would not have scored anyway. It´s that bad. What´s sad that actually 5vs5 Geno and Sid were doing fine. Maybe more than fine. But that PP is a killer.

Well I feel relieved to find out ther were doing fine at 5 on 5. Can't remember though how many they scored at 5 on 5. Will you assist me?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I disagree. The PP and PK are things that the coaching staff is responsible for. They are both in the bottom ten of the league.

Explicitly so. If Sullivan or Reirden are so deferential to our stars who are assing up the special teams, then they should rightly be fired. How is this even a thing we have to point out?

I may be a simple country lawyer, yer honor, but I've always believed that coaches should bah gawd, coach.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Coaching is why this PP is horrible, you're coach, you got to find the 5 guys that can click at least once in 18 attempts. Scream in someone's ear, bench someone, find someone in two years to command that PP...practice...ask them to move, if dman press have Sid run from behind have your guy inside get open ....its not like there are no tapes on successful PPs, heck Rangers were moving the puck faster...if its sid and geno than don't play sid and geno

He can't not play Sid and Geno. Then he'll have a lot bigger problem on his hands. See: Tortorella, John; Dubois, Pierre-Luc.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Or amazingly caring and dedicated star players, who heed every word out of PP coach's mouth.

I remember distinctly Sullivan talking about the PP last year to move around more, and for Malkin to play roamer.

Sure, maybe the players are idiots but when I see Malkin on the left point 5 feet away from PO, I wonder why.

Stay in your area and move maybe 10-20 feet to create space for yourself or create a lane. You let the 5-4 advantage take care of the rest.

The Pens 6-5 in the last 2 min was actually better executed than their PP.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I watch the Rangers and after about 25 seconds I see what they are trying to accomplish - Zibenajad on the off angle one timer/Fox with the screen shot from the top of them umbrella/Panarin with the one timer from the right circle (after moving the puck low). These are all basic plays that they will use based on what the PK is giving them. Teams need to have an idea of what they are trying to do once they set up. My Peewee teams have an idea of what they are trying to do (give it to the kid with the huge shot and crash the net).

After watching them the last 2 years since Kessel left, what is the Pens basic plan, what are they trying to set up? I still can't even figure that out.
It appears they think it’s beneficial to attempt cross ice passes through 3 opponents or possibly attempt injury by shooting pucks into opponents shins. My best guess.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
He can't not play Sid and Geno. Then he'll have a lot bigger problem on his hands. See: Tortorella, John; Dubois, Pierre-Luc.
How was that such a problem? Torts didn't lose the locker room, and PLD looked like a bit of a dick and even apologized for the quality of his play. CBJ did rather nicely in the trade as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad