GDT: Rangers 2019 Training Camp Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
similar to the idea of sending down a few of our top young players

These are important times in the development of these 18-21 year olds Chytil and Howden especially. Hope the Rangers management make the right call. Maybe some time in Hartford wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Reactions: egelband and cwede

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
These are important times in the development of these 18-21 year olds Chytil and Howden especially. Hope the Rangers management make the right call. Maybe some time in Hartford wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Appears to be a better foundation of a supporting backup cast up there this year. Which should enhance development of youth, not stifle it. Lots of established AHL vets-borderline NHLers and a new (and hopefully) devoted/creative/competent coaching staff. We will see soon enough...

Reactions: egelband and bl02

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don’t mind DQ mixing it up a bit longer. But sooner rather than later I would like to see something like this:

Kreider-Ziba-Kakko
Panarin-Lias-Buch
Lemieux-Howden-Kravy
Names-Strome-Fast

I think Chytil should start in the AHL, or Lias. But I think it’s too much to develop both at the same time in the NHL given our structure.
Howden is the worst of the 3 by a large margin. Id rather he start down than either

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Chytil turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Something we need to remember. He’s barely 20. He’s really young. He’s going to have his ups and downs. Right now he needs mins at center and to get his confidence back.

I think the more concerning think about Chytil is he is seemingly regressing from the huge splash he made in training camp 2 years ago. He's been pretty bad, and a lot of it has to do with strength.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think the more concerning think about Chytil is he is seemingly regressing from the huge splash he made in training camp 2 years ago. He's been pretty bad, and a lot of it has to do with strength.
The concern I have is he looks slower than in the past. If heads strength will that further diminish his speed (a la Dube). Chytil should have the frame to get stronger, but you just never know.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I can't get over how well our 3rd and 4th liners played last night. Quinn has a lot to choose from. It is really a good thing we have so many players that deserve a spot on the roster. They worked so hard last night they gave us 7 powerplay opportunities. Actually 8 if you count ADA's delayed penalty goal. Can't remember when we had so many opportunities. And if we have had our regular PP units playing, this game would have been a rout.

We were very sound defensively, and that is huge heading into the season.

I'm going to go watch the game again. I was that impressed.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m so happy to see Namestnikov on that 4th line @Ola. Maybe package him with something of value. :)

Reactions: Ola

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Here’s my guess on final cuts...

F:Letteri, Nieves, Kravtsov

D: Rykov, Lindgren, Morrow

G: Sheserkin

McKegg 13thF, Smith 7thD

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Smith should go down the first couple weeks just to bank cap space. He can come back after that. Only 3 games in 14 days or whatever? No reason to keep him and his hit on the books.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Smith should go down the first couple weeks just to bank cap space. He can come back after that. Only 3 games in 14 days or whatever? No reason to keep him and his hit on the books.

It is possible to "demote" players but keep them in NY too right? I seem to recall that we have done it in the past.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can't get over how well our 3rd and 4th liners played last night. Quinn has a lot to choose from. It is really a good thing we have so many players that deserve a spot on the roster. They worked so hard last night they gave us 7 powerplay opportunities. Actually 8 if you count ADA's delayed penalty goal. Can't remember when we had so many opportunities. And if we have had our regular PP units playing, this game would have been a rout.

We were very sound defensively, and that is huge heading into the season.

I'm going to go watch the game again. I was that impressed.

At the same time I am a little worried about in what direction the game is heading. If the ref's let up on the obstruction penalties -- the game will of course in a hurry go back to how it looked around 02-03. A little less trapping since there won't be a redline offside rule. Or whichever team trapps will score less at least.

But I agree with you for sure, those physical lines have been the most effective for us besides the Panarin-Ziba line.

Reactions: ohbaby and egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
But I agree with you for sure, those physical lines have been the most effective for us besides the Panarin-Ziba line.
Most importantly they played well defensively. Played a simple game, with few neutral zone turnovers that could really cost a team. Very impressed with the defensive effort considering those dressed were not close to our regular line up. Gives me hope we turned the corner from our earlier disastrous efforts.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It is possible to "demote" players but keep them in NY too right? I seem to recall that we have done it in the past.
Yeah you can waive a player but not actually send him down. I forget the time frames and I don't know the cap impact, but what you describe is definitely a real thing.

Reactions: Crease
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad