GDT: Rangers 2019 Training Camp Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What do you guys think the PPs will look like?
I want Fox and DeAngelo out there but I do love Trouba's bomb from the point.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I just hope Fast is not part of any PP setup - he is a good pkèr and grinder, but u never know after last pre season game and what the plan is concerning Quinn.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
for the final roster spots I don't think anyone made the decision easy...and that can be taken both in a good way and a bad way for most guys.

but IMO this is still about the long term, not the short term. so if I'm the staff making the decisions on the forwards, my focus is what is best for the development of andersson, chytil, howden, kravtsov and lemieux (all 5 I expect/hope to be part of the long term plans) and then fill in the rest of the lineup around those guys. there is a lot of flexibility with the vets...

and 'whats best for their development' might be starting the year in the AHL but I want that decision made based on what they truly is best for those individual players...not as the result of being the odd man out or whatever

Reactions: haveandare

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just hope Fast is not part of any PP setup - he is a good pkèr and grinder, but u never know after last pre season game and what the plan is concerning Quinn.

oh yeah quinn definitely is planning on using fast on the pp and he wasn't there last night cause we didn't dress 1/2 our lineup

Reactions: Entrancemperium

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
After sleeping on it I’d send 21 72 and 74 to Hartford. So young, need mins in offensive situations I trust the new staff down there. I think we rushed Lias and Chytil to an extent to launch this rebuild.

Lias is a little older and it shows in the work he put in over the summer. I still worry that as the nhl games start he’ll have trouble keeping up. He’s going his hardest god love him while nhlers are going at about 75 percent. Will he be able to keep up when the game pace takes off? We’ll see but it won’t be for lack of effort. But he’s looked far more like WJC Lias than NYR Lias of the past few years.

Chytil just has so much ability skating and carrying the puck but the battle level is inconsistent and he’s not producing. I’d expect it to be short lived but some time in Hartford centering the top line for 20 mins a night will only help him. The wing experiment needs to end.

Howden is going to be a bottom 6 center and that’s great we need that from him. So I’m less concerned about his upside. But he just looks a bit raw to me and frankly it’s more that I want to see a 4th line of Smith McKegg Fast. We’ll have 4 rookies in the lineup (includes andersson) and that’s a lot already.

Kravtsov has to learn the game at this level and get prepared to get his nose dirty.

Fast Namestnikov Strome even Kreider all may be gone at some point this year. Maybe Buchnevich if not Kreider. These kids will be back very soon. Just need to cook a little longer under a good ahl staff.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Panarin Captainejad Buchnevich
Kreider Strome Kakko
Lemieux Andersson Namestnikov
Smith McKegg Fast
Haley(I know I know)

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Fox
Morrow (awful but I don’t want lindgren sitting in the press box)

This is how I start and kids will start taking jobs from vets as the season progresses and Gorton makes some moves. Both morrow and Haley on two way deals, we can waive them without cap issues

Reactions: Ori

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I’ve been pretty harsh on Kravtsov for his play but I think I’d keep him in the NHL. He looks like more a factor than any of the other dudes in that grouping honestly, I think he’ll start slowly this year and take off next year. Chytil I can see in Hartford. Howden, probably the 4C.

Panarin-Mika-Buch
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Andersson-Kravtsov
Namestnikov-Howden-Fast
McKegg

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-Deangelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

If it were me I’d move Hajek up and put Lindgren in for Staal but we all know whatll happen there

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Kravtsov doesn't look NHL ready, but he'll be fine mid-way or next year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I really like them as drivers on different lines besides they both are righties.
No offense, but this is sheer fantasy. The Rangers have a legit top line, mayhaps elite, center. They just signed an elite left wing. There is simply no chance that either of them plays on the second line. They would have to completely bomb together for them not to skate together.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's not part of the long term picture. If they're going to put someone in a spot where they are a bit out of their depth, better it be the guy who won't likely be here in a year or two anyway. He's basically the sacrificial lamb that allows them to properly develop Lias and Chytil.
You do not know that. Strome got comfort last year in a franchise, built confidence and took steps forward. If he continues to take some steps forward, he may well work himself into the conversation. I doubt that Gorton is so set in his vision, that he does not recognize that there may be times to take the plan on a secondary route if that route opens up.

If Strome goes out and has a strong season AND is willing to take a contract that is team friendly, don't be surprised if he becomes a part of the family picture.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider Strome Kakko
Smith McKegg Fast
Haley(I know I know)

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Fox

This is how I start and kids will start taking jobs from vets as the season progresses and Gorton makes some moves. Both morrow and Haley on two way deals, we can waive them without cap issues

Same, minus Haley and Morrow to bank cap space in the first two weeks. The games are so spread out that there’d be plenty of time for a call up if needed.

And I won’t be surprised if Panarin and Zibanejad are split mid game to give give more support to Strome and Kakko on the second line.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think I’d be more inclined to send down Howden, Chytil and Kravtsov myself.

Panarin-Zib-Buch
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Andersson-Namestnikov
McKegg-Nieves-Fast

I’d also send Hajek down and keep Lindgren. He looks more physically ready.

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-ADA
Lindgren-Fox

Smith as the spare for both forward and defense

Sign Haley and demote him. He’d be a good guy to have around the young guys in the AHL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kreider Strome Kakko
Smith McKegg Fast
Haley(I know I know)

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Fox

Two-way deals for Haley and Morrow don't matter unless the NHL portion is over 925K, which seems unlikely. And the two-way component has no impact on the waiver process.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My lineup prediction:

Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Kreider - Andersson - Kakko
Lemieux - Strome - Chytil
Namestnikov - Howden - Fast
McKegg

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fox
Lindgren

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I’ve been pretty harsh on Kravtsov for his play but I think I’d keep him in the NHL. He looks like more a factor than any of the other dudes in that grouping honestly, I think he’ll start slowly this year and take off next year. Chytil I can see in Hartford. Howden, probably the 4C.

Panarin-Mika-Buch
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Andersson-Kravtsov
Namestnikov-Howden-Fast
McKegg

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-Deangelo
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren

If it were me I’d move Hajek up and put Lindgren in for Staal but we all know whatll happen there

I don’t know if you saw the game last night, but Sam and Joe implicitly made the point, based on their conversations with the coaching staff, that comparative play isn’t the overriding factor. Essentially, even if Kravtsov looked the best of the guys he’s competing with, if they feel like he has the most to learn from AHL time, as well as having the right character traits to do so, they’ll send him to the AHL.

I think it’s a pretty good reflection of the focus of the organization. It’s not about putting the best possible Rangers roster out there every game. It’s about properly developing young players. And that has to include doing what’s right for the individual, no matter what other players are doing.

Kravtsov might be more of a factor, but that’s not what they’re evaluating.

Last edited:
Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
My lineup prediction:

Panarin - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Kreider - Andersson - Kakko
Lemieux - Strome - Chytil
Namestnikov - Howden - Fast
McKegg

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo
Hajek - Fast
Lindgren

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Fast is the new Smith? Can play both F and D?

Reactions: QJL

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone want to venture what the team bonding exercise this year will be?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
We held out the entire top 6 and two of our top D. Fast was definitely going to be playing over his head. I wouldn’t worry so much about that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don’t mind DQ mixing it up a bit longer. But sooner rather than later I would like to see something like this:

Kreider-Ziba-Kakko
Panarin-Lias-Buch
Lemieux-Howden-Kravy
Names-Strome-Fast

I think Chytil should start in the AHL, or Lias. But I think it’s too much to develop both at the same time in the NHL given our structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad