GDT: Rangers 2019 Training Camp Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'm very surprised with the disparity between teams A and B. If Chytil wasn't on team B, I would have no reason to watch them on Friday. That said, I am overjoyed we have a stacked team A up against these NJ tryouts, in this our first preseason game.

Our first two lines Wednesday should look pretty awesome against these wannabe's. Zibanejad, Panarin and Kakko, might be unstoppable Wednesday.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I find it very interesting how Quinn is deploying Chytil in the preseason. He’s going to be the 1C in the game on Friday. Quinn is not shielding him with Kreider and Kravtsov as linemates, playing behind the big line. He’s also doing this on the road. It feels like Quinn is immediately testing him. Chytil having a successful season as the 2C changes the fortunes of this team this season for the better.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I find it very interesting how Quinn is deploying Chytil in the preseason. He’s going to be the 1C in the game on Friday. Quinn is not shielding him with Kreider and Kravtsov as linemates, playing behind the big line. He’s also doing this on the road. It feels like Quinn is immediately testing him. Chytil having a successful season as the 2C changes the fortunes of this team this season for the better.

It is interesting but the more I reflect on the general theme from Quinn last year, it isn't actually that surprising.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I suspect at this point, with more or less 130 pro games under his belt, the Rangers want to start getting some clearer ideas concerning Chytil. Center vs. wing, whether he can stick on the second line this year, etc. Not that this is a final exam by any stretch, but I think they want to see just how much they can challenge him. As you said, if indeed he can grab that role and run with it, it makes a tremendous difference this season and beyond.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Bottom 6 is going to be interesting. Unless one of Vlad and/or Strome get sent down, good odds that someone like Lias or Kravtsov are going to start in Hartford.

I just hope the office and Quinn have the convictions to not keep up a vet over a young player just for the sake of avoid it looking bad to send down a guy with a big contract.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I suspect at this point, with more or less 130 pro games under his belt, the Rangers want to start getting some clearer ideas concerning Chytil. Center vs. wing, whether he can stick on the second line this year, etc. Not that this is a final exam by any stretch, but I think they want to see just how much they can challenge him. As you said, if indeed he can grab that role and run with it, it makes a tremendous difference this season and beyond.

Posters here keep using Chytil’s quote about how he’s been a center all his life. But I keep going back to Gorton’s own comments when being interviewed at the end of the season on MSG, where he specifically said, ‘the jury is still out as to whether Chytil is a center or wing at the NHL level’. And that has to represent the collective thinking of the organization. I’m not convinced Chytil is better at center than at wing, but I’m hoping he convinces me.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Posters here keep using Chytil’s quote about how he’s been a center all his life. But I keep going back to Gorton’s own comments when being interviewed at the end of the season on MSG, where he specifically said, ‘the jury is still out as to whether Chytil is a center or wing at the NHL level’. And that has to represent the collective thinking of the organization. I’m not convinced Chytil is better at center than at wing, but I’m hoping he convinced me.
FWIW Quinn said they see him as a center in March

Reactions: ohbaby

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
FWIW Quinn said they see him as a center in March

I truly believe the Rangers prefer and hope he can stick at center. Because if he can, that's a hell of a nice piece to have.

I think they're going to push for that result as long as possible; until either he sticks or it becomes obvious that a move to the wings is for the best.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...have the convictions to not keep up a vet over a young player just for the sake of avoid it looking bad to send down a guy with a big contract.

HAA you know better than to say decision making is due to "the sake of avoid it looking bad"

They may send down waiver exempt players, over at-risk assets,
but also the team in October and the team in March will be different beasts.

All this hand-wringing against young guys spending time in AHL seems such wasted anxiety to me...

but to initial point, i don't believe we have ever seen NYR make roster decisions based not "looking bad"

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I see Chytil as a 55-65 point winger, which would be really nice out of a 21st OA.

Haven’t seen anything to suggest otherwise.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Ever? Or just at the NHL level?
Probably just at the NHL level (I wasn’t TOTALLY tuned into the WJC this past year).

I’d say what he’s accomplished in the NHL is impressive for his age for sure, but some of the expectations for him on here have sort of taken on a life of their own (especially w/r/t comparing him to Lias Andersson).

I’d be more than glad to be wrong on it. I just haven’t seen it. Yet.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It took Hertl a long time to hit his full potential, as a Lw/c no reason Chytils shouldn't get the same patience. 40 points would be great from him this year.
This is true. It does seem like he’s been around forever already despite being so young still.

Just funny seeing Lias not afforded the same patience. One is a future 2C while one is not long for the organization. A mere two years after their draft year.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Probably just at the NHL level (I wasn’t TOTALLY tuned into the WJC this past year).

I’d say what he’s accomplished in the NHL is impressive for his age for sure, but some of the expectations for him on here have sort of taken on a life of their own (especially w/r/t comparing him to Lias Andersson).

I’d be more than glad to be wrong one it. I just haven’t seen it. Yet.

You will be. I don’t dispute his talent level or skill. There is no doubt in my mind that he becomes a productive top six forward at the NHL level. I just have my doubts that center is his best position.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Posters here keep using Chytil’s quote about how he’s been a center all his life. But I keep going back to Gorton’s own comments when being interviewed at the end of the season on MSG, where he specifically said, ‘the jury is still out as to whether Chytil is a center or wing at the NHL level’. And that has to represent the collective thinking of the organization. I’m not convinced Chytil is better at center than at wing, but I’m hoping he convinces me.
I am encouraged in how he says he will fight for his natural position. But I do agree, that the jury is still out, until he shows he can handle it. If he succeeds it could be huge for this team. It would turn one of our weaknesses up the middle into one of our strengths.

Reactions: Kendo

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I like that Gorts kinda outed Quinn in a way I feel RE: the 'Jury's out' comment V. Quinn's comments in March.

It shows: reality+balls+passion, pertaining to the direction of the club = to me, the ultimate form of 'giving a f***'.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is true. It does seem like he’s been around forever already despite being so young still.

Just funny seeing Lias not afforded the same patience. One is a future 2C while one is not long for the organization. A mere two years after their draft year.

Yeah someone with connections (Don't remember who, maybe ecos or bobbop) was saying he'd fallen out of favor in the org. and they might trade him.

Still, he's here, and centering an offensive line tonight. So it's far from over.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
You will be. I don’t dispute his talent level or skill. There is no doubt in my mind that he becomes a productive top six forward at the NHL level. I just have my doubts that center is his best position.
We shall see.

We at least agree that he is not long for the center position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad