Random Car Chat

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
The grid can support EV charging actually, the grid just needs to adapt and create about 30% more energy. However that's as if everyone in the state plugged in at the same time every day, like myself I charge my EV in the morning because I work nights and it charges in the morning, full by afternoon and ready to drive when I leave at night. My wife works opposite but doesn't start charging her EV until 1AM and its always fully charged in the morning for her. Not every owner will charge at the same time every day and most don't need to charge every day which the public misnomer on EVs.

While I do agree range in an EV drops from 10% to 36% percent in temps colder than 40 degrees and it does affect the type of drive you take, it's often forgotten with ICE cars, the range can drop from 10%-33% depending on the type of trip and weather (i.e. air density can dramatically effect range,) it's just less talked about since everyone drove ICE.
I don't know about air density effecting range but at 10k feet you lose 25/30 % HP . ( I live at 10k) more density effects resistance but increases HP and cooling.
Wind is another topic all together and probably effects both vehicles. Side wind and head wind can knock my motorcycle milage in half.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I don't know about air density effecting range but at 10k feet you lose 25/30 % HP . ( I live at 10k) more density effects resistance but increases HP and cooling.
Wind is another topic all together and probably effects both vehicles. Side wind and head wind can knock my motorcycle milage in half.
You reminded me of that episode of Top Gear where they were at around 17,000 ft trying to scale a volcano and their engines were scraping by. One of them had a 1.3L 4-banger and that thing had barely any power.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
You reminded me of that episode of Top Gear where they were at around 17,000 ft trying to scale a volcano and their engines were scraping by. One of them had a 1.3L 4-banger and that thing had barely any power.
I have to use high wastegate tunes here even at our altitude. I'm a bit shy of 6,000ft here.

My old merc is so f***in slow at this altitude. I mean it's slow in general but especially up here.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I have to use high wastegate tunes here even at our altitude. I'm a bit shy of 6,000ft here.

My old merc is so f***in slow at this altitude. I mean it's slow in general but especially up here.
The average altitude of your state is higher than the highest point in mine.

My p***y-ass asthmatic lungs can't handle altitude for shit.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I so lucked out over the winter. I had a screw in the rear passenger side tire that was leaking and needed air every few days. I tried to get new rear tires for the Shelby prior to storage, but couldn't get any in my needed size.

I parked it and crossed my fingers, visually checking the tire every so often. Yet it came time for the monthly heat cycle, and the pressure sensor never tripped all winter. Just pulled the car out for the first time, no pressure trip.

Now sitting in Discount Tire getting replacement tires mounted. :phew:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad