Random Car Chat

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I have been seriously considering selling my old 07 Silverado 1500 and moving into an even older Diesel.

I'd love to get either a 12v cummins or 7.3 PS with a manual, though a 24v cummins or 6.0 PS would probably be nicer to drive considering the newer years. Sticking with only pre-emisisons (cat is fine).

I dunno. Hard to justify since I tow literally nothing but I love turbos and I love diesels. Might be worth the headaches.

Silverado is approaching 250k and wanted to see how far I could take it, but those sweet manual trucks call my name so hard.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
With all the other Chinese products that are sold over here, I've always wondered how come their cars aren't. I'm guessing there's a reason or law preventing it.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
20240407_155130.jpg

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
@TheGreenTBer I sold the WRX after 10 years of ownership. Sold it over the weekend.

For the first time in 20 years I neither have a manual or a turbo car. Feels so weird.
Almost every car has its day.

Right now we are a 1-car household. I haven't replaced my WRX either because as much as I'd like a car I can't justify the expense now that I WFH all but 10-15 days a year. If I do get one it won't be a new car. The only new cars out right now that I really like are well out of my price range...most of the market is just overpriced, soulless, sterile garbage.

DynastyCentralSports

Oct 14, 2020
California
www.youtube.com
Just because it hasn't happened to him means everyone else who's had a problem is lying
and the hundreds of Tesla owners I also know and talk to that have had flawless ownership experiences. The ones complaining about their cars get amplified over the owners that have successful ownership experience cause nobody talks about how great their cars are, but everyone complains when the smallest problem occurs as if their world is crashing down. Those edge cases get amplified online and in the media over any other company.

Judging the quality of a car off a lease is wild af
I don't lease my cars.

Owned 3 in 6 years lol.. my newest car is 14 years old.
My oldest is 59..
I've owned 3 in 6 years yes, I bought a 2018 Model 3 and then we loved it so much my wife bought a 2019 Model 3, then when we had our third kid, we upgraded my Model 3 to a 2021 Model Y. We own 2, have owned another one.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
"Know and talk to", does that mean a message board or do you actually know hundreds of actual people with Teslas? If it's the former, well, I got a bridge to sell you.

DynastyCentralSports

Oct 14, 2020
California
www.youtube.com
"Know and talk to", does that mean a message board or do you actually know hundreds of actual people with Teslas? If it's the former, well, I got a bridge to sell you.
I know more than a hundred people that own Teslas and have talked to them in person many times. I go to Tesla car meetups, I live in Southern California and there’s at least 25 parents in my kids classes (across two different classrooms) that have Teslas, I’ve been to car shows as well and talk to a lot of people about their experiences. I don’t understand why so many hate a company/type of car so much anyway. Anytime someone even mentions Tesla its immediate negativity, and shocker it’s from people that have never owned one before.

Last edited:

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I know more than a hundred people that own Teslas and have talked to them in person many times. I go to Tesla car meetups, I live in Southern California and there’s at least 25 parents in my kids classes (across two different classrooms) that have Teslas, I’ve been to car shows as well and talk to a lot of people about their experiences. I don’t understand why so many hate a company/type of car so much anyway. Anytime someone even mentions Tesla its immediate negativity, and shocker it’s from people that have never owned one before.
I shit on tesla because the cars are actually boring as shit and they're a cult of personality to so many folks.

My hometown (boulder, co) is full of these pretentious as f*** types who buy a tesla to show their love of their planet while they scoot home to a 7,000sqft house that they renovate every 5-years. They love to let you know about their electric car though, all of its performance, and show off all that cool tech. "HAVE YOU SEEN THE DOORS!?"

Add to that that Elon is a total :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er and it's just ripe for dumping grounds. I'm going to hold off on buying a fully electric car for as along as I can, because everything I've driven or demo'd from a Leaf to a Mach E to an E-Tron to a Tesla has left me wanting a lot more. But all the stuff surrounding tesla at a company level - disregarding even the quality of the cars - would have me never purchase one for any reason, ever.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I shit on tesla because the cars are actually boring as shit and they're a cult of personality to so many folks.

My hometown (boulder, co) is full of these pretentious as f*** types who buy a tesla to show their love of their planet while they scoot home to a 7,000sqft house that they renovate every 5-years. They love to let you know about their electric car though, all of its performance, and show off all that cool tech. "HAVE YOU SEEN THE DOORS!?"

Add to that that Elon is a total :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er and it's just ripe for dumping grounds. I'm going to hold off on buying a fully electric car for as along as I can, because everything I've driven or demo'd from a Leaf to a Mach E to an E-Tron to a Tesla has left me wanting a lot more. But all the stuff surrounding tesla at a company level - disregarding even the quality of the cars - would have me never purchase one for any reason, ever.
PREACH

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I've ridden in an S and it was fast as F .otherwise I don't know much about them except for Cali wanting all electric and th grid can't support it.also the hit the range takes in the cold is nobueno

DynastyCentralSports

Oct 14, 2020
California
www.youtube.com
I've ridden in an S and it was fast as F .otherwise I don't know much about them except for Cali wanting all electric and th grid can't support it.also the hit the range takes in the cold is nobueno
The grid can support EV charging actually, the grid just needs to adapt and create about 30% more energy. However that's as if everyone in the state plugged in at the same time every day, like myself I charge my EV in the morning because I work nights and it charges in the morning, full by afternoon and ready to drive when I leave at night. My wife works opposite but doesn't start charging her EV until 1AM and its always fully charged in the morning for her. Not every owner will charge at the same time every day and most don't need to charge every day which the public misnomer on EVs.

While I do agree range in an EV drops from 10% to 36% percent in temps colder than 40 degrees and it does affect the type of drive you take, it's often forgotten with ICE cars, the range can drop from 10%-33% depending on the type of trip and weather (i.e. air density can dramatically effect range,) it's just less talked about since everyone drove ICE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad