Random Car Chat

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't totally understand how that's possible, but google tells me it is. If you felt it made the difference then that's worth much more than my uneducated ass saying it isn't possible, as I sit at my desk hundreds of miles away lol
I agree it doesnt make sense really. I just feel so in sync with my vehicles, that i notice the little things. Id be curious to see your google result

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
What I found...

The serpentine belt plays a crucial role in the smooth operation of your vehicle's engine. If it's worn out or loose, the engine needs to work harder to compensate, which can result in a noticeable decrease in fuel efficiency.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
What I found...

The serpentine belt plays a crucial role in the smooth operation of your vehicle's engine. If it's worn out or loose, the engine needs to work harder to compensate, which can result in a noticeable decrease in fuel efficiency.
I forget the exact quote cuz it was on another device at the time. It said something about stress on the alternator and water pump, which i guess might not immediately hurt output but give it a little time and it most certainly could.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I forget the exact quote cuz it was on another device at the time. It said something about stress on the alternator and water pump, which i guess might not immediately hurt output but give it a little time and it most certainly could.
Still doesnt make sense lol. Maybe its just me with the new car smell feelings

Reactions: TheAngryHank

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Lol i was hoping for the $100 job. Just picked it up and sitting in the driveway with a beer. The price on heat cant be measured.. this is awesome!

Also is it weird that with the new belt I felt like things were "tighter". Motor just seemed a bit more crisp, in a good way, if that makes sense
Took the sweet Nissan for a spin in the snow for some play time.. no heat..turned out it was low on fluid.. I did swap the alternator...Jesus what a pain.. I've never taken a vehicle to a shop.. but that little Nissan can be a prick.

I don't totally understand how that's possible, but google tells me it is. If you felt it made the difference then that's worth much more than my uneducated ass saying it isn't possible, as I sit at my desk hundreds of miles away lol
Baring in the pump could drag while now spinning freely.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When it was coming time to park the Shelby for the season, the passenger side rear started getting a slow leak. Had them check it out when I got the season ending oil change and detail, and it turned out there was a screw in the corner where the tread meets the sidewall... so they couldn't repair it.

Unfortunately, my tire size is not readily available until spring! I jumped up to 295's when I made the change to the Michelin PS4S tires - they only had 285's. I do not want to go back down to 285's, so I have to wait until spring to replace. The problem is, I wasn't making it more than a few days before tripping the pressure sensor and needing to add air, sometimes as much as 10-15lbs before I could get to it. Obvious concern is a flat tire before spring arrives and damaging the rim getting it out of the garage to deal with it (when the car is in the garage, I have it parked with literally an inch or 2 from the passenger side mirror to the wall).

Since I parked it... I've been looking at that tire daily to see if it was getting low, or if I needed to get air into it at some point... probably having to pull it out into the driveway to do so... but I must have had fate on my side when I parked it this time, and it's sitting just right for that screw not to cause issues, because here we are over a month later and STILL the tire is full, and the pressure sensor wasn't even tripped when I gave it it's first full heat-cycle of the winter yesterday!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
When it was coming time to park the Shelby for the season, the passenger side rear started getting a slow leak. Had them check it out when I got the season ending oil change and detail, and it turned out there was a screw in the corner where the tread meets the sidewall... so they couldn't repair it.

Unfortunately, my tire size is not readily available until spring! I jumped up to 295's when I made the change to the Michelin PS4S tires - they only had 285's. I do not want to go back down to 285's, so I have to wait until spring to replace. The problem is, I wasn't making it more than a few days before tripping the pressure sensor and needing to add air, sometimes as much as 10-15lbs before I could get to it. Obvious concern is a flat tire before spring arrives and damaging the rim getting it out of the garage to deal with it (when the car is in the garage, I have it parked with literally an inch or 2 from the passenger side mirror to the wall).

Since I parked it... I've been looking at that tire daily to see if it was getting low, or if I needed to get air into it at some point... probably having to pull it out into the driveway to do so... but I must have had fate on my side when I parked it this time, and it's sitting just right for that screw not to cause issues, because here we are over a month later and STILL the tire is full, and the pressure sensor wasn't even tripped when I gave it it's first full heat-cycle of the winter yesterday!
Go to Walmart buy a plug kit , if it's sidewall they won't fix it so just DIY..put the reemer in and out a few times.. put the juice on the sticky rope ,almost sink it.. good to go.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Go to Walmart buy a plug kit , if it's sidewall they won't fix it so just DIY..put the reemer in and out a few times.. put the juice on the sticky rope ,almost sink it.. good to go.
Literally where the tread meets the sidewall... I'm not going to trust that tire with that much HP going to it with a plug, I'll get a new pair for the rear. That's where all the tension goes with the tire in a corner. Rather not leave it with a weak spot in the long run.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Literally where the tread meets the sidewall... I'm not going to trust that tire with that much HP going to it with a plug, I'll get a new pair for the rear. That's where all the tension goes with the tire in a corner. Rather not leave it with a weak spot in the long run.
I get it , that tire probably has carbon cords..that rim will break before those sidewalls .plug that pig and take it out and let all the smoke out of those tires..and video it.

• Haha
Reactions: TaLoN

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
20231225_102946.jpg

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
You guys think its worth upgrading headlight bulbs? My boy went blind in one eye today. He already wears headlight sunglasses and at a disadvantage.

Thank god its passenger side. Quick fix if i just get a standard bulb. But if if the color is even slighty off from the drivers side, thats gonna bug me. And that means pulling the battery. Which is fine in the summer...but its brrr now

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You guys think its worth upgrading headlight bulbs? My boy went blind in one eye today. He already wears headlight sunglasses and at a disadvantage.

Thank god its passenger side. Quick fix if i just get a standard bulb. But if if the color is even slighty off from the drivers side, thats gonna bug me. And that means pulling the battery. Which is fine in the summer...but its brrr now
Can you just buy a pair of Sylvania bulbs at Walmart and call it a day? I haven't had to replace headlights in over 20 years, but I don't recall it being that bad. Just an access panel behind the housing.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Can you just buy a pair of Sylvania bulbs at Walmart and call it a day? I haven't had to replace headlights in over 20 years, but I don't recall it being that bad. Just an access panel behind the housing.
Im just trying to avoid replacing both bulbs in the dead of winter. Again if the color is off its gonna bug me. I suppose I could deal with it till spring. Or just drive with my high beams on, nobody would notice lol

Ill just replace the one bulb for now with the cheapo factory bulb and reevaluate after

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Im just trying to avoid replacing both bulbs in the dead of winter. Again if the color is off its gonna bug me. I suppose I could deal with it till spring. Or just drive with my high beams on, nobody would notice lol

Ill just replace the one bulb for now with the cheapo factory bulb and reevaluate after
Are they that bad to replace? I seem to remember this being a very easy job on older, not TOO old, vehicles. I figured you were in the sweet spot of easy to replace headlamps

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Are they that bad to replace? I seem to remember this being a very easy job on older, not TOO old, vehicles. I figured you were in the sweet spot of easy to replace headlamps
Like i said already... the passenger side is easy. Drivers side I have to remove the battery

In my original post about this topic I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on buying the fancy $50 bulbs or just the cheapos

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Like i said already... the passenger side is easy. Drivers side I have to remove the battery

In my original post about this topic I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on buying the fancy $50 bulbs or just the cheapos
oh.

cheapooooo. every time

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
oh.

cheapooooo. every time
Pardon me. I was way wrong about taking the battery out. I just youtubed it and theres 2 pins that hold the assembly in place and then you can pull it all out the front.

Solves my issue. I might just splurge on LEDS cause of the convenience now lol

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

I got LED for my liberty when one went out. Did both figuring if one died the other might not be far behind , had 1 go out this summer in big white and swapped all 4..Hate LED guy but now I'm him.

My jeep ones look like that , easy swap but I could fetch in and do both..I remember the new ones being a little sloppy fitting ,not quite snug like original but they stayed put.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I got LED for my liberty when one went out. Did both figuring if one died the other might not be far behind , had 1 go out this summer in big white and swapped all 4..Hate LED guy but now I'm him.

My jeep ones look like that , easy swap but I could fetch in and do both..I remember the new ones being a little sloppy fitting ,not quite snug like original but they stayed put.
So you hate the LED?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I hate when others use them ,they bright as F.. but I avoid driving at night but sometimes ya gotta.
Otherwise there fine . I'll say there is less difference between HI and Low beam
I guess in my case I could use the extra light with the headlight covers. I dont think it would bother anyone. I know what you mean though.

I was gonna go today but its snowing and super greasy out. Made it to the beer store and decided best to just turn around. Fuel light is on and i need the bulbs and can do both at canadian tire, but im not risking some idiot in summer tires making a mistake. Tomorrow is another day!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I guess in my case I could use the extra light with the headlight covers. I dont think it would bother anyone. I know what you mean though.

I was gonna go today but its snowing and super greasy out. Made it to the beer store and decided best to just turn around. Fuel light is on and i need the bulbs and can do both at canadian tire, but im not risking some idiot in summer tires making a mistake. Tomorrow is another day!
You made it to the beer store.. safe and sound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad