Ralph Krueger hired to coach the Sabres Part 2

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Not sure I completely agree with Burke's take, but here you go:

What comes through to me is Botterill with his 5 gold medals or whatever for Canada is the golden boy of the old guard. He can do no wrong. Even if Krueger is a bad hire, it's not Bott's fault because he's a good guy who works his tail off. I gather Burke was one of the people who recommended Botterill to the Pegulas.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
What comes through to me is Botterill with his 5 gold medals or whatever for Canada is the golden boy of the old guard. He can do no wrong. Even if Krueger is a bad hire, it's not Bott's fault because he's a good guy who works his tail off. I gather Burke was one of the people who recommended Botterill to the Pegulas.

Burke doesn't know anything about the team (he said the farm system was as good as it gets). He knows Botterill. He doesn't know Krueger. Risk and the unknown is scary and bad. That must be the problem.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
It’s tough for me because Krueger seems to have philosophies and approach I would like to see in a coach. But something is off. We started off so well that it has to come down to lack of adjustments being made. Specifically our special teams have killed us. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember hearing we barely practice now because of “rest” data. It’s one thing to know what you’re going to do on the ice. It’s another to execute. and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the two things you hone through practice the most(the pk and pp) are failing on this team. I mean when is the last time we saw a new zone entry play on the pp? how long did it take to get away from the cross ice passes with Eichel and Olofsson when it stopped working in the beginning of the year? And wtf is going on with our PK? We gave up 3 to Ottawa? f***ing Ottawa....

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It sure would suck if we figured out that Krueger wasn't the answer after A+ options like Lavy & Gallant are off the market.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
It sure would suck if we figured out that Krueger wasn't the answer after A+ options like Lavy & Gallant are off the market.

It's par-for-course of being the Sabres--always missing out on great coaching talent because you just hired a guy shortly before that talent became available, or when it comes time to hire a new coach, none the big names will be available or they'll be picked up by other teams.

Laviolette, Babcock, or Gallant, I'd be fine with any of them. For all the hatred of Babcock's antics and methods, he still turned a last-place Leafs team into a playoff team in one year. Laviolette probably had periods of similar antics to Babcock and I'd welcome him as well. I still remember the clip of Lavy (lightly) punching a Flyers player in the back and telling him to "f***in' hit em!"

And for all the people saying that the game has passed Babcock by because he couldn't win a series with the Leafs, here's Scotty Bowman's playoff record when he was head coach/GM of the Sabres:

1972-7339MTLNHL78521016120.7691st171250.706Stanley Cup Champions
1973-7440MTLNHL784524999.6352nd6240.333
1974-7541MTLNHL80471419113.7061st11650.545
1975-7642MTLNHL80581111127.7941st131210.923Stanley Cup Champions
1976-7743MTLNHL8060812132.8251st141220.857Stanley Cup Champions
1977-7844MTLNHL80591011129.8061st151230.800Stanley Cup Champions
1978-7945MTLNHL80521711115.7191st161240.750Stanley Cup Champions
1979-8046BUFNHL80471716110.6881st14950.643
1981-8248BUFNHL351810743.6143rd4130.250
1982-8349BUFNHL8038291389.5563rd10640.600
1983-8450BUFNHL8048257103.6442nd3030.000
1984-8551BUFNHL8038281490.5633rd5230.400
1985-8652BUFNHL371818137.5005th
1986-8753BUFNHL123728.3335th
1991-9258PITNHL803932987.5443rd211650.762Stanley Cup Champions
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Scotty Bowman won four cups in a row with Montreal immediately before coming to Buffalo. Did well his first season, and barely did anything for the next four seasons as coach. Missed the playoffs his last two seasons as the Sabres coach, and won the cup with Pittsburgh the year after he left Buffalo, and won three more with Detroit after that.

I think Krueger's philosophy of developing mental focus by teaching players to tune out negative thoughts and focus on things they can improve is a good one, but while he may be a great motivational speaker, he doesn't have the head coaching experience to give me confidence that he'll be able to turn a team like the Sabres around--a team that has been bad for so long that overcoming that belief is a monumental challenge in, and of, itself.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It’s time to stop blaming coaching. This is a management issue. You can’t expect a team to win consistently with one player.

Our organization should not be picky about any position for the team. If there’s a chance to upgrade at a position you take it. Ralph is not the root cause of the issues on the team, I agree. But if there’s a chance to bring someone that is more proven and more successful, you do it. I’d say Ralph is on par with Nolan in coaching ability in our carousel of coaches, but way above the others post-Ruff.

Ralph is a middle of the road coach. He has shown to get the absolute average out of a team and no more than that. He’s not the hidden key for this team to bring us back to the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Burke doesn't know anything about the team (he said the farm system was as good as it gets). He knows Botterill. He doesn't know Krueger. Risk and the unknown is scary and bad. That must be the problem.

But Burke was right. There was a lot of unknown with Ralph. Guy was in a completely different sport for years. The game changes so much in 5 years let alone the amount of time he was gone.

And remember, we are “trusting” the guy that we have been placing the blame on for poor judgments for years, for not making this team competitive, that his view on the team and Ralph, that Ralph is the answer to fix our problems when he has done absolutely nothing to fix the roster structure.

At the very least we should be questioning the idea Ralph is the guy based on that alone.

Reactions: Drunkard

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think Krueger's shell shocked. I know they talk about how smart the guy is but the human brain isn't designed to take the kind of stress coaching the Sabres entails. It's like trying to drive a school bus full of 4th graders around the world while teaching nuclear physics at the same time. In clinical terms the man is cracking up. His brain is turning to mush. The Sabres should be the first team to use multiple coaches by design. I would hire 3 and give them 25 game segments. Reward the one with the best record with the rest of the games and, yes the playoffs! Imagine if we had Housley open the season, get in his 10 game streak, follow that up with Krueger's hot start, then Bylsma's conservative playoff style game. Conclusive evidence points to new coaches winning the most. Why not plan it?

Why Fire Your Coach? Because New Coaches Win the Most

Reactions: seagull

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I agree with the sentiments that the team has many things wrong with it outside of Krueger. But I also agree with those wondering “what if...” about guys like Gallant and Laviolette. Hindsight tells us this team should have run Housley over with the Brinks truck on the way to Barry Trotz’s house a year and a half ago. I’d hate to miss out on a clear cut coaching upgrade again because of hesitation or optics or whatever reason.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It’s tough for me because Krueger seems to have philosophies and approach I would like to see in a coach. But something is off. We started off so well that it has to come down to lack of adjustments being made. Specifically our special teams have killed us. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember hearing we barely practice now because of “rest” data. It’s one thing to know what you’re going to do on the ice. It’s another to execute. and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the two things you hone through practice the most(the pk and pp) are failing on this team. I mean when is the last time we saw a new zone entry play on the pp? how long did it take to get away from the cross ice passes with Eichel and Olofsson when it stopped working in the beginning of the year? And wtf is going on with our PK? We gave up 3 to Ottawa? ****ing Ottawa....
They practice, they just dont skate on game days.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It's time to stop changing coaches every 2 seconds. Maybe get some actual talent on the ice for once. Every single coach will have his stupid players he rides for no reason. We need to get rid of these chickenshit players that are afraid to go in front of the net. Just look at the play Sheary made against the CBJ..that's not coaching, that's someone being a pansy and he got benched rightly so. Blaming the coach is the easy way out that won't get us anywhere because its the same group of losers on the ice.

We can re-evaluate this when our lineup doesn't essentially consist of three 4th lines or our true 4th line playing 2nd and 3rd line minutes because the rest of the lineup is trash. Vesey, Sheary, Frolik, Lazar, Erod, Larsson, Sobotka, Dea, Girgensons, and Okposo..oh my! Then we have someone who is probably at best a 3rd line player as our #2c.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's time to stop changing coaches every 2 seconds. Maybe get some actual talent on the ice for once. Every single coach will have his stupid players he rides for no reason. We need to get rid of these chicken**** players that are afraid to go in front of the net. Just look at the play Sheary made against the CBJ..that's not coaching, that's someone being a pansy and he got benched rightly so. Blaming the coach is the easy way out that won't get us anywhere because its the same group of losers on the ice.

We can re-evaluate this when our lineup doesn't essentially consist of three 4th lines or our true 4th line playing 2nd and 3rd line minutes because the rest of the lineup is trash. Vesey, Sheary, Frolik, Lazar, Erod, Larsson, Sobotka, Dea, Girgensons, and Okposo..oh my! Then we have someone who is probably at best a 3rd line player as our #2c.

Krueger's the first coach to get them to play a system since Lindy Ruff.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Buffalo Sabres Digital Press Box
02-05 Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger with Howard and Jeremy

Transcript of Ralph Krueger inteview 2/5/20 9AM

Howard Simon: Ralph, it’s Howard and Jeremy. Good morning, thanks for coming on with us, first of all.
Ralph Krueger: Good morning, Howard and Jeremy.
HS: Ralph, (the score was) 2-1 after one [period] last night, and then the wheels fell off. What happened in the second period?
RK: Well there’s no question that we had 20 of the most disappointing minutes of our season from the 13th minute of the first period right through taking six goals in a 20-minute period is not acceptable. There were individual breakdowns right through it — we’re actually just going through it right now in the coaches room — lots of situations that we can learn from. Our frustration is there and we’re going to work with it and we’re going to do all we can to improve from this disappointment.
Jeremy White: Ralph, at different times of the season you’ve had different things that have hurt you. When it was the power play, you told us that when you’re seeing good things from it, when it’s operating well but it’s not scoring that’s not a major concern. Last night’s game, I think if you’re going back to the tape, the numbers would suggest that chances, high-danger chances, it was not a 6-1 blowout in that department. It was fairly even. Even inside of a 20-minute period where you say it might have been your worst 20 minutes of the season, it seemed to me that chances were even, it’s just that goals were going in on one end.
RK: Yeah, I mean we had a 13-13 shot clock at the halfway mark of the game and it was just every time they went down they were lethal. Colorado’s one of the better teams in the league and (if) you give them any spaces, they use it — and we certainly didn’t. We came out of the starting blocks with a 7-1 shot total and we didn’t have a goal to show for it, so it doesn’t mean anything, doesn’t help you if you don’t take advantage of a good start. Once they got that momentum going, it seems like — the 3-1 goal early in the second period we went way too high risk on our toes. We didn’t stay calm like we have been in the past with only being down two and trying patiently to get ourselves back into the game. We threw the whole house at them and gave up completely on our defensive game, and they punished us for it. It was just not the way we needed to manage the game. But again, the job of coaches is to get up in the morning, look for what we can do to strengthen ourselves. We’ve got no time to feel sorry for ourselves in the NHL. We all know we’re back at it against Detroit tomorrow and that’s what we have to do here.
HS: How much of a set back do you think was last night for Carter Hutton? He had gone through the losing streak and he’s trying to get his confidence back, get a couple wins against Montreal and Columbus and he’s chased last night. Again, I know it’s not all his fault, but at the very least, he just couldn’t bail (the team) out when there were breakdowns in front of him. He couldn’t bail the team out. What was last night in terms of, you think, of affecting his confidence going forward?
RK: Well, you know guys, he’s a very confident player. He’s an experienced player and he’ll just go back to work here today. He takes responsibility when I go by him after we made the goalie change, he’s the most critical of himself. We move him forward again too and need to work with him. He’s, once again, somebody who can put this in the right place and get himself, get his feet back up. He’ll stand up tall again today.
JW: Do you envision (Jonas) Johansson getting a start down the stretch here? You’ve got a bunch of games coming up. You got back-to-backs Thursday, Friday.
RK: We have a lot of bodies out, as you know, right now. Quite a few guys on IR. We’re going through the tapes of last night, we’re going to — you know, we’ve got the back-to-back like you said going up here against Detroit, the Rangers. For sure, Johansson will get a start here somewhere. We’re just going to kind of weed through all the information here before we make our decision. We still need to see who we’ll be getting back. We hope to get one or two guys back, maybe, from the injury list and then we’ll mix the cards. But Johansson will be getting a start here in the next few games.
HS: In the small sample size, when he got in last night, what’d you think from [Johansson]? What’d you see from him, I guess?
RK: We really liked the way he came in. He ended up eating one off the 2-on-1 early; it was an unbelievable shot that he really didn’t have a chance on, on the short side. We thought he settled in nicely and showed a very calm first performance. Made some nice plays with the puck too, which for European goalies coming over to North America is always a skill set they don’t really start learning properly until they’re over here. With and without the puck, his size, his positioning takes away a lot of the net. There weren’t a lot of holes in his game. There were some good scoring chances in the third as we were trying to force some opportunities at the other end to give our fans something to cheer about going home. We thought overall it was a really good performance from him and probably the one positive that we all need to take out of last night would have been his performance.
HS: Ralph, I’m curious, you’re very much positive reinforcement and all that in terms of your attitude as a coach with your players. What do you do — you look at the standings this morning, you’re I think 11 (points) out of third (in the Atlantic Division) and 12 (points) out of the No. 2 wild card. Coming out of the break, it’s now three out of four losses. When you looked at the schedule, thought, “Okay, maybe they can win a whole bunch of home games here.” What do you do as a coach or a coaching staff to keep the players focused, to make sure that the adversity doesn’t lead to the attitudes becoming really bad, and it just snowballs?
RK: That’s a really good question. We understand the reality. Trust me, guys. What you’re saying, all those facts, we know the facts. We look them in the eyes and need to be realistic about our situation. Once we’ve looked at it, we need to move forward again and teach and coach and work with these guys to continue to evolve our game. We are going in and out of it since the break. The Columbus game was an excellent performance right through and all that was missing, really, was a little more offense, possibly. We left that game again last night, especially for that stretch in the second period. I thought in the first (period), like you already said, it was a pretty even game; we deserted our game for about 10 minutes. I was at least pleased with the guys coming up in the third period with a pretty even match, trying to get ourselves ready for Detroit. What we need to do is keep the picture small right now. We have very many young exciting players, and we cannot forget that. There is some real value in the core of our team here, and some elite players who need coaching and need developing, and also with this pain and then this time they need that. That’s our job as coaches, is to keep them in that space without letting them avoid the reality of the situation. We have to let the pain come into our room. We have to look at it, we have to try and understand it, but then again we have to work with it now. Continue to teach these guys, continue to learn to become a team that wins two out of three games in the National Hockey League — that’s what you have to do to be in the race, to be a playoff team. We will continue to do all we can to get back to that pace.
HS: It’s hard to do though, because like you said at the top of the answer you mentioned, you’re all well aware of the standings, and I would think it’s human nature. You can talk about it, Jason Botterill has mentioned to our afternoon guys the whole small picture, two out of three. But it’s human nature as a player to understand the bigger picture, and the bigger picture is not a pretty picture.
JW: And I would just add to that, Ralph, I would feel like it’s important that you’d want them to know where they stand in the big picture within the rest of the league. If you’re not looking out enough, are you looking in too much?

RK: We know that every day. Our key players and I am speaking to the media every day and it’s quite clear that everybody in our environment is reminding us of that, guys. That’s everybody’s job, trust me, that’s fine. We have to be able to take that because when the good times are here, we need to be able to deal with that properly. When the tough times are there, they’re there to test our character, they’re there to test our resolve. Listen guys, everybody in this room knows what’s going on here, we’re not hiding from that. But the other thing we know is that we do have a youthful core, that we do have players with — still — upside potential that’s exciting and that we maybe don’t have everything in line right now to be consistently that two-of-three team, but we’re going to work to be that. I do see growth here. I do see development. I do see character here, and I do see a lot of guys working very, very hard and improving on a daily basis. In the end, that’s all you can do when you have adverse situations is take care of what’s in you control. We’re going to continue to do that, we’re not going to let our guards down there. We’re going to work hard to have our fans proud of the work ethic and the game that we’re playing, which they aren’t right now. Only we, with our work and what we do on the ice beginning with Detroit tomorrow, can get that back.
HS: Jeff Skinner, I want to ask you about him before I let you go, Ralph. No goals now in 15 games. When you have a guy like that, who is an NHL goal-scorer, who’s in a drought like this, do you talk to him? Do you stay away? He’s got enough pressure, let him work it out? What do you do? Obviously your team needs production from a number of veteran players — he’s one of a handful of guys. But what do you do when a guy like him is in a drought like this?
RK: Our secondary scoring definitely needs to ignite and we work with him. Donny Granato, being more in charge of the forwards, and myself, working also primarily in the game with the forwards while Steve Smith’s doing the [defense], we do use video footage. We have one-on-one meetings. We’re permanently communicating with all the players. In a situation like Jeff’s, we’re working together with him to try to find that path back, because we know he’s a streaky scorer and once he gets going here he can really help us to turn the energy here and turn the results. We’re working on that daily together and trying to find the right path for him. He was on the first power play yesterday for those two power plays we had, and there’s other ways — he was double shifting at times yesterday, jumping in with (Rasmus) Asplund and (Jean-Sebastien) Dea and just trying to get that first goal. I’m sure once we get the first one we’ll get more, but it’s a permanent coaching process going on here.
HS: Last thing, because I think you mentioned it earlier: You were talking about maybe getting some guys back, so we’re talking like that’s the [Rasmus] Dahlin, [Curtis] Lazar, [Johan] Larsson group, I assume?
RK: Yeah, those three are all candidates short term. We see (Victor) Olofsson developing in a good way; he’s still a few games away. Excited and looking forward to getting him back. [Kyle] Okposo, who’s just such an important player and person for us in the group, we hope that his injury (status) stays in a couple of weeks versus longer than that. We’re hoping to at least get two of those bodies back by the game tomorrow.
HS: You said a few games for Olofsson, is there a time frame of when he might be back on the practice ice at this point?
RK: Yeah, we’re hoping to see him in practice next week. But again, he is on course for that right now, but let’s see how these next four or five days go. With these lower-body injuries, the type that he has, you’ve just got to listen to the body. But we’re optimistic on him and he’s very hungry to get back into our lineup.
HS: Alright, Ralph. Thanks, as always for your time. Appreciate you coming on with us this morning and good luck tomorrow against the Red Wings.
RK: Thanks, guys, for a fair conversation on a tough morning. For our Sabres fans out there, the only thing I can say is we’re back at work here today and we appreciate the support. There was a lot of people still in the building yesterday right to the end. We can feel that passion and we’re going to do all we can to repay it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I would really like to know who Ralph had beers with when he supposedly came into town. Because whoever he talked to, gave him some bad advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00