Votes: 16 69.6%
  • If we score more

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Damn staal with 5. oof.

does a giveaway count being stripped of the puck or doing something dumb with it tho?
Doing something dumb with it? yes, if it results in an unforced error turning the puck over. Being stripped? No. That will be a takeaway from the other team, but not a giveaway.

A giveaway is generally when a player makes an unforced error that gives the puck up to the other team.

NJ had 10 takeaways last night (Jack Hughes had 4 of them). Necas had very little TOI against Jack Hughes last night.

His most common opponents:
he had 9:25 against Meier (who had 1 takeaway)
9:19 against Lazar (who had 0 takeaways)
7:49 against Mercer (who had 0 takeaways)
6:01 against Marino (who had 0 takeaways)
5:48 against Luke Hughes (who had 2 takeaways)
5:01 against Nemec (0 takeaways)
5:12 against Hatakka (0 takeaways)

Carolina had 12 takeaways lat night. Here's the take-aways:

TT: 3
Orlov: 2
Jarvis, Aho, Drury, Bunting, Slavin, Martinook, and Burns each with 1

Listening to Rod's interview and a few players interviews, sounds like the ice was shit last night. I guess the 74 degree day was the cause?

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Doing something dumb with it? yes, it it results in an unforced error turning the puck over. Being stripped? No. That will be a takeaway from the other team, but not a giveaway.

A giveaway is generally when a player makes an unforced error that gives the puck up to the other team.

NJ had 10 takeaways last night (Jack Hughes had 4 of them). Necas had very little TOI against Jack Hughes last night.

I’ve never really thought about it, but if you did a man on the street interview with me before this post and asked me how takeaways/giveaways work, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you whether it worked like this or whether takeaways were merely the opposing team’s side of giveaways and it was 1-to-1.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I’ve never really thought about it, but if you did a man on the street interview with me before this post and asked me how takeaways/giveaways work, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you whether it worked like this or whether takeaways were merely the opposing team’s side of giveaways and it was 1-to-1.
Same. To me a take away is physically taking the puck from someone.

A giveaway is passing it to the other team, doing something dumb like a spin o rama and losing it, or whatever causes you to lose possesion without an offensive attempt being made or whaetver

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As a follow-on, the most GVA/60 on the team for the entire season:

Bunting: 2.83
KK: 2.58
Svech: 2.09
Aho: 2.03
Chatfield: 1.93
Burns: 1.89
TT: 1.86
TDA: 1.83
Necas: 1.70
Lemieux: 1.69

It's a bit misleading though. Guys who play a simple game of dump and chase (Staal, Martinook, Fast, etc..) will typically have less giveaways than players who possess the puck more while on the ice, who are more skilled and try to make offensive plays with the puck.

Dumping it deep and forechecking aren't going to be categorized as a giveaway, even though you are technically giving away the puck. Holding the puck, skating it into the zone, and trying a more difficult cross ice pass to create a scoring chance, where the puck ends up going to the other team is likely going to result in a giveaway.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Burns seemed brutal last night. But only had 2 GA.
Since he's arrived here, I notice that Burns seems to bobble the puck, particularly while on the blue-line, more than any defensemen we've had in a while. I think if the ice is bad, it makes it even worse for a guy like him. He also handles the puck much more trying to make offensive plays, so is more prone to having a giveaway than a guy like Pesce for instance.

Staal was the real anomaly last night given that he typically plays a simple game. Get it out, dump it deep, chase and forecheck. That typically doesn't end up with a lot of giveaways.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

in good company...

This play shows why many might view Necas as a "turnover" machine. He can make plays at speed so he often attempts them. Look at that move he made at about the 4-5 second mark to get by the defender and get into a prime shooting spot. That move was crucial for this play and Aho's goal to be successful. Because it was successful, we don't think anything of it.

If that Devil's player had gotten his stick on the puck with Aho and Slavin both heading toward the net, it could have easily been a 2-0 in the opposite direction for NJ and people would be calling for his head.

He's a skilled guy that can make plays at speed and when he's confident, he tries to make those plays. Really only he and Aho have that speed and ability. TT slows the game down. Svech uses his power. Jarvis shields the puck from defenders. etc..

If we don't have Necas on this team, I think we'd miss this element of his game a lot, even with the warts.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah I've been trying to debate what jersey I want next

This kind of stuff solidifies whose name and number I will get
Me too. Got Aho shortly after his extension. Now been trying to decide between Slavin, Burns, Jarvis, Necas and now Koochie entering the debate. Prefer to get jerseys of guys I know will be here a very long time so will likely wait for some upcoming contracts to decide. If (once) we give Slavin 7 or 8 years I’ll surely get his jersey.

Win a cup this year and the longevity factor becomes irrelevant. Pyotr as starting goalie would be an instant buy, Burns too

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If that Devil's player had gotten his stick on the puck with Aho and Slavin both heading toward the net, it could have easily been a 2-0 in the opposite direction for NJ and people would be calling for his head.
Once again I long after the lost internet meme picture of success and failure juxtaposing some Amazonas hunters carrying an anaconda back to the village and the Ferrari pit crew carrying the loose fuel hose that was dragged to the pit lane exit on Felipe Massa's car...

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Doing something dumb with it? yes, if it results in an unforced error turning the puck over. Being stripped? No. That will be a takeaway from the other team, but not a giveaway.

Listening to Rod's interview and a few players interviews, sounds like the ice was shit last night. I guess the 74 degree day was the cause?
agreed on ice conditions. players skating faster than puck was moving (never a problem for me unfortunately)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad