Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide Pt. 2

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

New chicken options...I like Canes better than the usual fare.

In Asheville..Huey Magoo's is my new fave "the filet mignon of chicken".. super fresh..great homemade chips.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some of you may know im a church youth leader. Our mission trip to New Orleans in 2021 we took them to Raisin Canes, oh man you'd think they'd never had chicken tenders before. One night they pulled all their money together and ordered a 60-piece tailgate tray.

The next year we went to Baltimore but we stopped at the one in Charlottesville, VA. Same deal.

It isn't terrible by any means but aside from the sauce (the kids thought that was the shit) I'm not sure what makes it different than Zaxbys

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Some of you may know im a church youth leader. Our mission trip to New Orleans in 2021 we took them to Raisin Canes, oh man you'd think they'd never had chicken tenders before. One night they pulled all their money together and ordered a 60-piece tailgate tray.

The next year we went to Baltimore but we stopped at the one in Charlottesville, VA. Same deal.

It isn't terrible by any means but aside from the sauce (the kids thought that was the shit) I'm not sure what makes it different than Zaxbys
This is gonna sound crazy, but the best fried chicken I've had in years came from a convenience store in the hood in Richmond.

If you ever see some buster-ass gas station with a Krispy Krunchy chicken sign hanging in the window, you run right into that place and you buy that chicken. Also, take all the napkins you can put your hands on.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is gonna sound crazy, but the best fried chicken I've had in years came from a convenience store in the hood in Richmond.

If you ever see some buster-ass gas station with a Krispy Krunchy chicken sign hanging in the window, you run right into that place and you buy that chicken. Also, take all the napkins you can put your hands on.
haven't hit that place, but similar story of heading up to Roanoke VA for a show I stopped at a gas station in BFE to hit the restroom and grab a drink. Saw they had some fried chicken there and I hadn't had lunch yet that day so I said "f*** it" and bought a two piece. My only regret is that I didn't get a four piece, because gas station chicken has no business being that f***ing good.

Edit: looked it up, it's a Krispy Krunchy location

Last edited:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Not Krispy Krunchy but I know of them, had something similar at a Shell station I used to live near about 10 years. Was really good but the next time I went they had changed management and it wasn't anywhere near as good.

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So, AEW has a pay-per-view event the first week of next March.

Of all teams, the day before the Canes happening to be playing the Jets so chances are I'm going to be making this trip.

Any insight on best travel methods from Raleigh to Greensboro or is it just Uber/Lyft? And other things to check out around March 2-3 in the area?

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So, AEW has a pay-per-view event the first week of next March.

Of all teams, the day before the Canes happening to be playing the Jets so chances are I'm going to be making this trip.

Any insight on best travel methods from Raleigh to Greensboro or is it just Uber/Lyft? And other things to check out around March 2-3 in the area?

Amtrak has service via two routes (Piedmont and Carolinian) between the two. Piedmont I believe is slightly cheaper but typically less crowded anyway.

When you say things to do is that for Raleigh or Greensboro? I'm not sure what's going on in Raleigh those days but Greensboro hosts the ACC women's tournament. ACC women's hoops is very underrated and a great watch.

Reactions: DaveG and C Plus

C Plus

Jun 6, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the reply. I'd say Raleigh Saturday, Greensboro Sunday morning/afternoon as far as what to do in the areas.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Thanks for the reply. I'd say Raleigh Saturday, Greensboro Sunday morning/afternoon as far as what to do in the areas.

If you feel like getting your fill of sports in the Raleigh area, Duke men's basketball is hosting Virginia that night (2nd) at 7pm, the Canes game is at 12:30pm. Even if you aren't really a college hoops fan or can't snag tickets, Dukes campus on gamedays is fun.

Aside from that, there will probably be live music events and comedy shows in the area, especially on a Saturday. The Triangle isn't quite Austin or Nashville but it's underrated for live music shows and festivals.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
If you both are feeling adventurous you could try Eastern Wake County (same County as Raleigh).

I don't think there's much between Rocky Mount and Wilson but YMMV.
thankfully Rocky Mount is fairly close to Wilson so living in Wilson and her commuting to Rocky Mount is a realistic possibility. Closer to the two relative to Raleigh as well.

So, since we’re pretty much on course for this…

I’m going to be likely moving into the house we bought the middle of Feb. Settlement is this week, but I have to take a class early Feb before moving down.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Alright I'm going to ask because I'm curious, why?
They support Carolina's primary revenue generating programs &

DD at 38 years old is not a modern stadium, was built on the cheap, is a dump with very narrow concourses (arguably unsafe in an emergency), limited suites, too many seats, small scoreboards, etc. Seat upholstery looks like they should have been replaced a decade ago

Kenan is well, Kenan. 38th oldest stadium in America & almost 100 years old. New seats aside, it has a terrible scoreboard, no wifi, still probably needs a reduction in capacity, etc. Even English Premier League teams change their stadiums every 100 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
They support Carolina's primary revenue generating programs &

DD at 38 years old is not a modern stadium, was built on the cheap, is a dump with very narrow concourses (arguably unsafe in an emergency), limited suites, too many seats, small scoreboards, etc. Seat upholstery looks like they should have been replaced a decade ago

Kenan is well, Kenan 38th oldest stadium in America & almost 100 years old. New seats aside, it has a terrible scoreboard, no wifi, still probably needs a reduction in capacity, etc. Even English Premier League teams change their stadiums every 100 years.

Fair enough, I've only been a handful of times and it was 20-25 years ago for both the most recent. I remember the urinal troughs in the Dean Dome lol.

I'll be honest I don't hate the place but Cameron Indoor Stadium isn't a great place to watch a game in my opinion, the history and the lore and the students are what make it. It's hot, the seats that aren't at center court you have to turn your head to see the action, the concourses are narrow too. Reynolds Coliseum was the same way. I get the history and whatnot but if you take that away, I get the feeling Duke would have upgraded or built from scratch by now.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fair enough, I've only been a handful of times and it was 20-25 years ago for both the most recent. I remember the urinal troughs in the Dean Dome lol.

I'll be honest I don't hate the place but Cameron Indoor Stadium isn't a great place to watch a game in my opinion, the history and the lore and the students are what make it. It's hot, the seats that aren't at center court you have to turn your head to see the action, the concourses are narrow too. Reynolds Coliseum was the same way. I get the history and whatnot but if you take that away, I get the feeling Duke would have upgraded or built from scratch by now.
Agreed. Of the 3 primary Triangle schools, State has the nicest BB Stadium but with the disadvantage that is off campus. Duke has the money but prefers the “ambiance”.

Btw: PNC’s bathrooms are not sufficient either

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

having been to my share of games there (the benefits of being a musician that was in a top pep band that was employed by Duke) and talked to some major money people at the University, they very much prefer the ambience of the current situation. They have no doubt that they could renovate and make it a 10K stadium and still sell out every game, but they have major concerns about what it would do to the atmosphere at the games if they did that. I mean it's Duke, they prefer things to be exclusive.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
having been to my share of games there (the benefits of being a musician that was in a top pep band that was employed by Duke) and talked to some major money people at the University, they very much prefer the ambience of the current situation. They have no doubt that they could renovate and make it a 10K stadium and still sell out every game, but they have major concerns about what it would do to the atmosphere at the games if they did that. I mean it's Duke, they prefer things to be exclusive.

I went to Syracuse basketball games when they played in the 9,500 capacity Manley Field House and the atmosphere there was so much more enjoyable than the 34k capacity Carrier Dome. As a fan, I definitely wish they'd stayed in Manley. But when the university weighed ticket revenue from 9,500 fans vs. up to 30k+, I'm sure it didn't take them long to make the decision. The fact that Duke still plays at Cameron is a pretty good indicator of how deep the university's pockets are.

I also went to an NCAA tourney game in the Palestra once and that was a really great atmosphere.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad