OT: Raise the Jolly Rogers: The Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Cole is having a remarkable game today. aside from the home run, he's been calm, cool, and collected at the mound. this kid is 23 years old and pitching tremendously in the NLDS.

and to think i'm 22 and just sitting at home with my laptop watching all this. lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I would guess that Cole is finished for the day. 86 pitches, would be smart to replace him. If so he gift wrapped a win for the bullpen if they can step up.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If Cole is removed then I think he's the Game 5 starter, if we get to that.

Martin picks up another RBI with a sac fly, 6-1. Hand this game over to the pen and be happy with 6 great, efficient innings from Cole.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Cole showed a lot of poise, something he lacked in 3 months ago.

He's grown up quickly.

I think we can thank A.J. Burnett for a lot of that...especially as Burnett essentially was Cole back when he entered the majors.

edit: After some help from the 1st base umpire Gaby Sanchez pinch hits for Cole.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
If Cole is removed then I think he's the Game 5 starter, if we get to that.

I hope so.

It'll be interesting to see Matheny picks the starters for Game 4 and 5, if that happens. If I was Matheny, I would start Wainwright starts in Game 4. I can't imagine to start Wacha in Pittsburgh especially he already have a rookie, Kelly in Game 3. 2 rookies to start in consecutive road games in playoffs? I dunno.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He's grown up quickly.

I think we can thank A.J. Burnett for a lot of that...especially as Burnett essentially was Cole back when he entered the majors.

edit: After some help from the 1st base umpire Gaby Sanchez pinch hits for Cole.

Well, to be fair, Burnett can still be pretty unpoised. Yesterday and a great deal of his tenure in NYY are a proof of that :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am serious that I do not follow baseball, so take the question with that grain of salt.

But why is it a bad idea to start an ace pitcher a couple days early? Lariano for instance has owned the Cards from what I understand. Why would it be stupid to start him game 3 in Pittsburgh and then game 5 if necessary? I get not starting him every single game, but a few days rest one time for the biggest game of the year? Why not?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I am serious that I do not follow baseball, so take the question with that grain of salt.

But why is it a bad idea to start an ace pitcher a couple days early? Lariano for instance has owned the Cards from what I understand. Why would it be stupid to start him game 3 in Pittsburgh and then game 5 if necessary? I get not starting him every single game, but a few days rest one time for the biggest game of the year? Why not?

Pitching a guy on two-days rest is ludicrous, especially a guy with an history of arm troubles. Pitching guys on three-days rest is a stretch and only the best of the best can really handle it on a consistent basis, pitching a guy on two-days rest never happens.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Shelby Miller is pitching now. At least we know he won't be a starter in this series.

Marte with a solo HR!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I hope so.

It'll be interesting to see Matheny picks the starters for Game 4 and 5, if that happens. If I was Matheny, I would start Wainwright starts in Game 4. I can't imagine to start Wacha in Pittsburgh especially he already have a rookie, Kelly in Game 3. 2 rookies to start in consecutive road games in playoffs? I dunno.

It was already announced that Wacha is starting Game 4. You have to remember that between Games 1 & 4 there's only 3 days of rest, compared to 4 days of rest between Games 2 & 5. Wainwright absolutely could pitch on 3 days rest if needed, but having him in a lock-down role for Game 5 is hardly a bad thing.

Because you'd blow his arm off on two days rest, and you wouldn't be getting the same pitcher anyway...you can argue pitch counts all day long, but you can't argue the need for recovery. The whole concept of a pitching motion is unnatural and requires healing. Even the old-school guys struggled with that. The Pirates won the 1925 World Series largely because the Washington Senators used Walter Johnson too much and he eventually fell apart, even with spotting the Senators a 4-0 lead before the 2nd out of the first inning was recorded.

I get why that would be confusing for someone who doesn't follow (or ever pitched) the sport too much, though. I don't think I learned a true appreciation of that until I started pitching myself. The couple days after throwing ~100 pitches leave your arm largely useless.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
It was already announced that Wacha is starting Game 4. You have to remember that between Games 1 & 4 there's only 3 days of rest, compared to 4 days of rest between Games 2 & 5. Wainwright absolutely could pitch on 3 days rest if needed, but having him in a lock-down role for Game 5 is hardly a bad thing.

2 rookie starters in front of our wild fans? i like it. We have to get them early, rattle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad