OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Welcome to the Jung-ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Durbano

Mar 27, 2011
Burbs of Bmore
#3/4. Doesn't have the stuff to be at the top of the rotation guy, but his game is lacking holes. 3 Major League caliber pitches, good control, deceptive delivery, profiles to be an innings eater.
He does have good stuff, don't get me wrong there, but that's not his strength. Glasnow is the kind of pitcher that puts butts in seats, Kingham is the kind of pitcher who gives his team a chance to win every time out.

Thanks for all the hard work and informative posts Big. I really like your insight.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
[tweet ]Tweet # (similar to YT tags)[/tweet ]
minus the spaces, of course.

Steve's father worked for the Pirates in 2010. Solid AAA depth with MLB experience...I was somewhat surprised he wasn't claimed after being waived back in November. Because he cleared and was outrighted to AAA he's not on the 40-man roster. Like so many Pirates depth players he can play numerous positions - 2B, LF, RF, & 3B.

penguins2946*

Pirates traded for 2nd baseman Steve Lombardozzi today. Lombardozzi played only 20 games in the MLB last year (played most in AAA) with a .288 batting average, but played 126 games in 2012 and 118 games in 2013 with the Nationals, where he had a .273 and a .259 batting average respectively.

Idk why he only spent 20 games in the majors last year, he seems to have a pretty good bat. He only has 6 errors in 122 games at 2nd base over his career with a .989 fielding% there. For comparison, Walker has the same .989 fielding% over his career at 2nd base. He's just a depth player for us, but I find it odd that he wasn't even in the majors last year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Lombardozzi's OBP is barely higher than his batting average, that's why he hasn't found a way to stick. In 829 MLB plate appearances he's walked 28 times and only has 43 extra base hits, so his slugging percentage sucks too (.638 career).

Starling Marte has a significantly better walk ratio, which is astounding. He's be able to fill-in in a pinch if injuries force him into duty, but he's certainly not an everyday player.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Was listening to Greg Brown and Bob Walk interview.

Of course they were going to say all things pro management, but hard to disagree with anything they said.

On any angst people have with trading Travis Snider.

GB: "really?...really...? I mean, I like Travis Snider, he's a good guy, but what did he have, one good month? That's about it."

On Russell Martin: "if people think that he is going to put up those numbers again, I think they are crazy. He had a career year last year."

On Kang Ho.

BW: "I don't know how good he will be. No one does. But if you look at his numbers, I think that will translate into him being at least a "good" player. The question is how good. You never know. Heck, with all the praise and hype that Gregory Polanco got, I thought that when he came up he was going to be the NL MVP (starts laughing). And we saw that wasn't case. You just never know."

On return of Burnett:

BW: "it's a cliche, but you can truly never have enough starting pitching. I know the fans are excited, from what I have heard, about his return. And he has made no secret of how much he likes playing here."

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Lombardozzi is Italian for Mackowiak

I was an early screening for Jupiter Ascending last night (recommend if you're a sci-fi/fantasy fan) and right before the movie was starting my friend shot me a text about getting Lombardozzi from the O's and all I could think about was how upset I was going to be if this was the PTBNL in the Snider deal. Thankfully it's a seperate deal.

I like him in a AAA utility depth role. Better than having to depend on a player like John MacDonald or Brent Morel.

Last edited:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
If nothing else it will be cool to see a long-ass name on a jersey.

Good to hear about Jupiter Ascending, I don't always love the Wachowskis' movies but they're at least interesting usually.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If nothing else it will be cool to see a long-ass name on a jersey.

Good to hear about Jupiter Ascending, I don't always love the Wachowskis' movies but they're at least interesting usually.

They made a really rich and interesting universe. It has an interesting "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" meets "Star Wars" with a nice fantasy element to it. I doubt a lot of people are going to like it, but I really like the world they created in it and hope (if there aren't any sequels made) that someone picks up the story and writes some good books with it. There are a ton of storylines possible from the movie.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Hello, guys.

Lombardozzi wasn't included among the September call-ups, and the Orioles - unhappy with his defense - outrighted him during the Winter Meetings.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Pirates have acquired infield prospect Edward Salcedo from the Braves in exchange for pitching prospect Bryton Trepagnier.

Salcedo is a 23 year old 3B/SS (6'3", 210lbs) that was, if I remember correctly, a mildly big international signing a couple years ago. Judging by his stats, he doesn't look like much of anything special (.212/.294/.357 last season in AAA). HAs hit double digit homers in most of his minor league seasons and strikes out a good bit while walking some.

His career minor league triple slash is horrid- .230/.297/.375

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Salcedo was a blue-chipper at one point...signing for $1.6 million out of the Dominican Republic 5 years ago.

Trepagnier was drafted in a round that doesn't even exist anymore...so it's a bust for non-prospect trade. Tepagnier had a solid season in Bradenton last year, but it took him 3 years to get out of rookie ball and he profiles to be nothing but organizational relief depth.

No Quarter*

Does anyone think Lincoln could win a spot in the rotation this year or at least be a great middle reliever like he was when we traded him????

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Does anyone think Lincoln could win a spot in the rotation this year or at least be a great middle reliever like he was when we traded him????

Wow, I was unaware that he was back in the fold. I see that signed a minor league contract back in November with us. Worth a flyer.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Probably a reliever, just like he was at the end of his last stint with the Pirates.

Hopefully he can become a good setup guy.

No Quarter*

Probably a reliever, just like he was at the end of his last stint with the Pirates.

Hopefully he can become a good setup guy.

I thought he was a fantastic middle reliever when he was traded and was actually surprised when they made the swap for Snider

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

He's a reliever through and through...and his awful results from being pushed back into a starting role in Philadelphia's inept system showed that again last year. Apparently he had more injuries in Toronto and he never was able to grab the spot he was expected to...and then was just sort of forgotten about.

I'm rather stunned that he didn't latch on. He really has no chance of making the Opening Day roster (way too many other options that are out of options), but he could be nice depth to have in AAA.

The stars just wouldn't allow for those two to play for the same team. At least it's safe to say we won that one :P

Pirates won their arbitration case with Neil Walker. He'll make $8 million instead of his $9 million figure (was projected for $8.6 million).

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He's a reliever through and through...and his awful results from being pushed back into a starting role in Philadelphia's inept system showed that again last year. Apparently he had more injuries in Toronto and he never was able to grab the spot he was expected to...and then was just sort of forgotten about.

I'm rather stunned that he didn't latch on. He really has no chance of making the Opening Day roster (way too many other options that are out of options), but he could be nice depth to have in AAA.

The stars just wouldn't allow for those two to play for the same team. At least it's safe to say we won that one :P

Pirates won their arbitration case with Neil Walker. He'll make $8 million instead of his $9 million figure (was projected for $8.6 million).

Walker is getting closer and closer to that price range where the Pirates will be out of the running soon. If they haven't signed him long term by now I would think he's time in Pittsburgh is running out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad