OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Welcome to the Jung-ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I liked Snider as the fourth OF. I liked when the Bucs traded for him. I was hoping he would be a poor man's Brian Giles but it didn't happen. I'm surprised they traded him. He did well in the second half of the season. I don't know how much faith I have in Lambo but I'm okay with the deal. I don't know anything about Tarpley but hopefully it will be a nice addition along with whoever the PBTL is.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Short piece on Kang from Baseball America

He also isn't concerned about his skill set adjusting to the big leagues. He attributes the extreme hitting environment in Korea not so much to size of the ballparks, but more to the lack of depth of pitching on most teams as well as the weight work done by the players in the KBO.

While Kang prefers playing shortstop, he said that he’s handled other positions in the past, including third base for South Korea’s national team, and feels that he can be versatile.

“Being a utility man is always an advantage,” Kang said, “but if I can settle into one position it might be a better option.

“But it’s baseball,” he said. “Baseball is baseball. I’m prepared!”

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I can't believe anybody who has watched Lambo could argue that his bat isn't slow. I can't recall him once turning on a fastball at the major league level. He is one year younger then Snider and hasn't been able to get out of the minors yet. People expecting him to replace Snider as a solid contributer off the bench will be sorely disappointed. 13 home runs in a little over 300 ab's off the bench is a very big thing to replace.

I liked Snider as the fourth OF. I liked when the Bucs traded for him. I was hoping he would be a poor man's Brian Giles but it didn't happen. I'm surprised they traded him. He did well in the second half of the season. I don't know how much faith I have in Lambo but I'm okay with the deal. I don't know anything about Tarpley but hopefully it will be a nice addition along with whoever the PBTL is.

One could argue last year coming off the bench that Snider did indeed look like a poor man's Giles albeit not quite as disciplined at the plate (although there are few players in history as disciplined as Giles was at the plate).

If he can continue his improvement from last year I could see him hitting 25+ homers in that launching pad in Baltimore. Not a fan of this trade.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'll miss Lunchbox. Guy was a solid bat and I liked him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him blossom over in Baltimore. Wish we could've gotten some MLB talent in return but I won't be that upset. I trust NH.

Adding Kang to the infield mix should be good for the bench, whether it's him, Jordy, Neil, or Pedro who sits. Unless the guy busts.

I don't have it in me to get that worked up over it since the guy clearly wouldn't make it over a prospect of Polanco's caliber.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I wouldn't get your hopes up there. Worley had a couple solid seasons in the Majors before one truly bad year with the Twins. Volstad has been on a steady downward trajectory since his rookie year. Last year he had a 6.18 ERA in AAA before going to Korea where his number slid to 6.21. Volstad is 5 years removed from looking like even a fringe Major League starter.

It doesn't hurt to take a chance on a minor league deal, but holy hell did his game ever fall off a cliff.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't get your hopes up there. Worley had multiple solid seasons in the Majors and one truly bad year with the Twins. Volstad has been on a steady downward trajectory since his rookie year. Last year he had a 6.18 ERA in AAA before going to Korea where his number slid to 6.21. Volstad is 5 years removed from looking like even a fringe Major League starter.

It doesn't hurt to take a chance, but holy hell did his game ever fall off a cliff.

Don't underestimate the magic of Ray Searage ;)

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I wouldn't get your hopes up there. Worley had a couple solid seasons in the Majors before one truly bad year with the Twins. Volstad has been on a steady downward trajectory since his rookie year. Last year he had a 6.18 ERA in AAA before going to Korea where his number slid to 6.21. Volstad is 5 years removed from looking like even a fringe Major League starter.

It doesn't hurt to take a chance on a minor league deal, but holy hell did his game ever fall off a cliff.

I guess what I really wanted to say was "a poor man's Worley"

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, this is next level even for Ray Searage, but I like the move as AAA depth, because he's definitely the type of guy who might be able to throw together some spot starts if needed. I guess you can pretty much make the argument that all pitching depth is good, so long as the top end is pretty good to begin with.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Absolute consensus. Even without the TJS, Glasnow's ceiling is higher than Taillon's ever was...and the stats he put up at his age in high A ball are pretty damn mind-blowing. He's a potential ace; Taillon a potential #2. Glasnow has consistently been the 3rd rated pitching prospect behind Gioito (Glasnow's upside, a year behind in development, but with a 1st round pedigree) and Syndergaard (long-standing top prospect...he's somewhat like Cole in the stuff is much more impressive than the stats).

I've seen Taillon list as low as 4th amongst Pirates prospects...I disagree with that, but the grouping is pretty close with him, Meadows, and Bell.

I started work on my own Top 20 list due to your requests...no clue when I'll finish it. It may be tonight, it may be in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Absolute consensus. Even without the TJS, Glasnow's ceiling is higher than Taillon's ever was...and the stats he put up at his age in high A ball are pretty damn mind-blowing. He's a potential ace; Taillon a potential #2. Glasnow has consistently been the 3rd rated pitching prospect behind Gioito (Glasnow's upside, a year behind in development, but with a 1st round pedigree) and Syndergaard (long-standing top prospect...he's somewhat like Cole in the stuff is much more impressive than the stats).

I've seen Taillon list as low as 4th amongst Pirates prospects...I disagree with that, but the grouping is pretty close with him, Meadows, and Bell.

I started work on my own Top 20 list due to your requests...no clue when I'll finish it. It may be tonight, it may be in a couple weeks.

Where does Kingham project Big? (or anyone else).

potential #2? back end guy?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
In 2 years the Pirates rotation has a chance to be great with Cole Glassnow and Taillon at the top of the rotation, all 3 of those guys have a chance to be an ace.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Where does Kingham project Big? (or anyone else).

potential #2? back end guy?

#3/4. Doesn't have the stuff to be at the top of the rotation guy, but his game is lacking holes. 3 Major League caliber pitches, good control, deceptive delivery, profiles to be an innings eater.
He does have good stuff, don't get me wrong there, but that's not his strength. Glasnow is the kind of pitcher that puts butts in seats, Kingham is the kind of pitcher who gives his team a chance to win every time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad