OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Welcome to the Jung-ho

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like this deal from the Padres perspective. Shields is an absolute workhorse who has a ****** reputation because of a few bad big games. With the way GMs are wantonly throwing money at SPs like Masterson, or hell, Volquez, Shields for that money in his mid-30s range might end up looking very good by as early as this summer.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
9 more days til pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

This is the most excited i'v been about a Pirates team going into spring training in a long time.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
This year could be one of the most decided rosters I've seen from this organization going into Spring Training in a long, long time.

Basically a bench spot and a bullpen spot up for grabs, maybe two? It's nice to finally get this kind of continuity from the team.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
For someone that's been pretty much out of the loop regarding Pirates transactions/offseason news, how are we looking?

What's Neil's arbitration status?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think the division will come down to St Louis and the Pirates again.

I'm not expecting much out of Cincy or Milwaukee this year.

And the Cubs are a hard team for me to predict, i really don't know how good the Cubs are going to be.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
For someone that's been pretty much out of the loop regarding Pirates transactions/offseason news, how are we looking?

What's Neil's arbitration status?

Walker lost his case on Friday, playing for only $8mil this season- he asked for $9mil.

Pedro still has to have his hearing, and one more guy (I think) but it's escaping me who it is.

Roster is shaping up to be-

C: Cervelli/Stewart
1B: Pedro
2B: Walker
3B: Harrison
SS: Mercer
LF: Marte
CF: Cutch
RF: Polonco

Bench:
Kang (SS, 3B, 2B?)
Hart (1B, RF)
Rodriguez (INF)
Lambo/Sellers/Sanchez/Decker

Rotation:
Liriano
Cole
Worley
Burnett
Locke/Morton

Bullpen:
Melancon
Watson
Bastardo
Liz
Hughes
Holdzkom/rotation loser/Stolmy

Did I miss anyone in the pen? I always have trouble remembering the guys in the mix there outside the top 3.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Via Rotoworld and SJ Mercury -

Ike Davis said a physical exam last year showed that he still had traces of valley fever.
Davis was originally diagnosed in 2012, but the Mets said at the time that he wasn't showing any symptoms. However, he clearly felt the effects and the condition has lingered. "Valley fever is a nightmare," said Davis. "You have no energy, no nothing. It was definitely a weird one. It's supposed to go away on its own, but when I had an X-ray last year, it showed I still had it. I'm hoping that's over and done with."

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Pirates are going to arbitration with all these players with the difference in money being so small.

It seems petty, just split the difference with the player and move on without arbitration.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Pirates are going to arbitration with all these players with the difference in money being so small.

It seems petty, just split the difference with the player and move on without arbitration.

All 30 teams do this. Most of the time the difference is split, but there has to be an agreement between both sides to make it happen. That and if they just always split the difference then what's to prevent the sides from offering unrealistic numbers?

The Nationals are going to arbitration with Jerry Blevins over $200k despite a $150+ million payroll.

No Quarter*

What about Corey Hart???
I hear no talk of this signing.
In my opinion has been a much more consistent hitter than Pedro and I think I'd be more comfortable with him playing as our everyday firstbaseman

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Health issues are a major concern with Hart, he has two bum knees. It's hard to imagine him being able to handle a starting job.

He was also putrid last year in Seattle...which doesn't mean a ton as it's a.) Seattle and b.) his first season back after missing a year with back-to-back knee surgeries.

Hart is a total wildcard. He'll either be great depth off the bench or out of baseball by July.

No Quarter*

Health issues are a major concern with Hart, he has two bum knees. It's hard to imagine him being able to handle a starting job.

He was also putrid last year in Seattle...which doesn't mean a ton as it's a.) Seattle and b.) his first season back after missing a year with back-to-back knee surgeries.

Hart is a total wildcard. He'll either be great depth off the bench or out of baseball by July.

Still a much more disciplined hitter than Alverez knees or no knees.
But let's hope Corey gets it together so we don't have to witness all them whiffs on way low and way outside pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad