OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Spring [training] is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We should probably reinsert Moran and even Fowler immediately now.

Moran for Newman, Evans to 3B Gonzales to ss Moran to 1st.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The idea of pinch hitting for Kuhl last inning looks even smarter now.

Moved a guy up to 2nd on a wild pick-off throw and now just let that guy score on a wild pitch.

Kuhl is a mess but Stallings has to catch that pitch.

I agree but Kuhl also missed his spot by a good 2 feet there. Stallings was set up down and away and that pitch made Machado jump back because of how inside it was

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If I were betting, Kuhl is headed to the IL after this game. He just doesn't look like he has it at all this season. Have to wonder if he'll ever make it back from TJS. The command is like 20-30 grade, not even reliever level. We're just throwing him out there on a hope and a prayer to eat a couple more innings.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kuhl is an absolute mess. He has no idea where the ball is going.

Injury or yips. Take your pick.

Going to watch some Youtube videos and pause the game.

Reactions: Gallatin

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm now regretting my fantasy BB pick.

I look at Snell's track record and he just is a F.O.R. guy. That said the stuff is not as impressive as Darvish's yesterday. You could tell that Stallings and even Egon went up there thinking "you know, I can hit this guy."

FWIW I think in our league he's not so bad, because the Ks usually help him and he pitches in a pitcher's park so is likely to give up less HR.

I don't get the patience with Kuhl. At best he's going to eek out a third inning here. If he goes any longer, the game is going to be out of reach. He singlehandedly blew the lead in that inning as a fielder basically, with the error to advance the runner and then the wild pitch. He's just hopeless out there, and it's not going to magically change.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
FWIW I think in our league he's not so bad, because the Ks usually help him and he pitches in a pitcher's park so is likely to give up less HR.

I don't get the patience with Kuhl. At best he's going to eek out a third inning here. If he goes any longer, the game is going to be out of reach. He singlehandedly blew the lead in that inning as a fielder basically, with the error to advance the runner and then the wild pitch. He's just hopeless out there, and it's not going to magically change.

Shelton clearly doesn't manage games to maximize the opportunities to win them. I realize it's a long season and I realize that developing guys for the future are the key objectives for this season, but using Oveido in a tie game last night without backing in the pen and now leaving Kuhl out there with NO ONE THROWING in the pen is inexplicable. Compare that to the Padres, who pulled a Cy Young SP in the 1st inning...right or wrong, Shelton doesn't really seem to care about what's happening in the game.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I mean, there's no reason in the world not to have someone warming in the bullpen. You have a 14-man staff and you are ahead. At some point you have to try to win a freaking game.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Shelton clearly doesn't manage games to maximize the opportunities to win them. I realize it's a long season and I realize that developing guys for the future are the key objectives for this season, but using Oveido in a tie game last night without backing in the pen and now leaving Kuhl out there with NO ONE THROWING in the pen is inexplicable. Compare that to the Padres, who pulled a Cy Young SP in the 1st inning...right or wrong, Shelton doesn't really seem to care about what's happening in the game.

Me and Shelton have an understanding. He's on Team Green...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

why should he

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
giphy.gif

Reactions: NewAgeOutlaw

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What kinda sucks is that I planned on getting tickets for this game initially, but I got my 2nd COVID vaccine today and didn't want to risk having side effects at the game :laugh:

I'm also a Padres fan, so that's a part of the reason I wanted to go.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Difo looks a lot like Curtis Granderson in his stance.

Ok, so through 3 and 1/2 innings, this is looking to be a contender for worst played game of baseball ever, right?

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It has felt like Shelton is trying to lose tonight with keeping Kuhl and Alford in there.

Stallings continues to impress. Reynolds hits the ball hard. EGON hits the ball very hard. All 3 have earned the start tomorrow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think it's part mistakes, part nobody really cares, and part lack of tons of options with Shelton. This has definitely just been a weird game all around. Hopefully we can grind it out here and nail it down with Crick and RichRod.

I would expect some moves after this one. Probably need some fresh bullpen arms. Maybe somebody gets briefly optioned, Kuhl goes on IL, and we get Hartlieb and somebody else. Crowe to eventually replace Kuhl's spot. Probably have to do something with Alford, whether it's just DFA him, or maybe have the HBP generate a phantom IL stint for a little while to get him out of there. Difo I think can safely be DFA'd. With Evans able to play all around, there's no reason to have him on the roster over Frazier at the very least, I think. I guess maybe it's a bit of a trial run to see if he can be a temporary CF option, but he doesn't look great out there to me. Give Fowler a couple of games and/or work Reynolds there for a bit.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm really sick of our pitchers.

I don't care if it's 89 mph up there doing batting practice. Throw a f****g strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad