OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Play On, Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think he is, and he's probably who we will go with, which hopefully will be fine. But I have more confidence in Burdi in terms of swing and miss.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get why they even bother using Moran as a pinch hitter. You know they'll just switch to a lefty reliever and Moran is terrible against lefties.

Hopefully Marte throwing his bat has the same impact that Bell throwing his bat has.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sorry for saying this, but Jose Iglesias HR feels like it's predestined. Hopefully Rodriguez's slider is sharp.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
tenor.gif

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Solid stuff from RichRod. Not how I'd draw it up, but that was true for basically the entire game. Got the job done, and hopefully banished some spectres arising from the Cardinals series. Would be nice if the Padres can come back late and give the Cards another loss.

Either way, time for a tough series vs. the Cubs. A series win pretty much sets a tone that we're the early team on the heels of the Brewers. No other player I'd want getting the ball than Jamo for Game 1.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Hahaha.....Bell is awesome.

Rob I. "Look above the batter's eye, between the two umbrellas. Troy has your homerun ball, we can retrieve it for you if you want?'

Bell *starts laughing* "Troy can have it."

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Trying to be a bit more circumscribed here, and stick to a single overall narrative, rather than draw up a balance sheet on every single game.

After we won the first two games of the series and were .500, I somewhat arbitrarily posed that we treat the next ten games as a sort of first 10 game stretch, with some of the flukiness and weather mostly behind us. This would take us up through the now-beginning medium-length road trip, and start to give us some sense for how this team really stands.

Hard to do much better than pick up the first two games, and head to Chicago on the heels of a 4 game sweep. More good news: Bell's power has woken up in a big way, Martin looks like he might have what I saw someone refer to aptly as "unheralded rookie upside," and Frazier continues to hit everything and field adequately. The starting pitching remains the biggest strength, even if these "first" two games of the 10 game stretch were powered by an offense that suddenly doesn't look so overmatched, albeit mostly against mediocre and bad pitching.

Luckily for us, it's a stretch to even lump the Cubs pitching together with mediocre, because they've just been bad. The Cubs are never going to be pushovers with their roster, but we're hitting them at a good time, and a lot feels tied up in the Taillon-Lester battle to start the series tomorrow. If Taillon can best Lester, we'll have picked up a key win vs a team that's also struggling, and might be able to dream on a winning streak that extends for a little bit, which would be unthinkable given the Dickerson injury on top of everything else. If we lose, it looks like a difficult series to pull off, but the name of the game during the whole thing will be to make the Cubs pitchers work and get into the already stretched bullpen.

I won't look further down the stretch of games, because there's enough to mull over just with the Cubs matchup. 5-3 does seem very possible over this stretch, making it a 7-3 period, and giving us a just fine 10-6 record. I think the conservative move is to assume we will drop one of the two three game series. Maybe 4-4 is a safer conservative prediction, which would still be fine even if it's not as sexy. We certainly have momentum to dream on something better, such as perhaps 6-2/8-2/11-5, but for starters I'll be thrilled if we can take this series vs. the Cubs, fully cementing ourselves towards the top of the division in the early going.

Two final notes: I've seen it a few times, but not here – we have have the lead in the 7th inning in every game so far. Obviously you can say we should have at least another win or two, and we should, but that's the kind of thing that will lead to a healthy number of wins, and the chance to bank several in a row, which is what we might be in the midst of now, if things go well on this road trip. The other is that Melky Cabrera has been absolutely crucial to the success of this offense. He is just running a clinic at the plate, and hitting for some power as well, with at least passable speed to be able to score runs on the basepaths. I kind of like him where he is, though I could see an argument to move him up in the order. It would be nice to see him hit a couple of HRs this week, and for Kang and Marte to handle the lefties well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Now isn't the time to play it on the safer side hoping we just stay a little above .500. With the schedule we've had(in division) and us already losing two games to the Cards that we shouldn't have, I want them to keep rolling into Chicago.

Our pitching was solid against them during August last year yet we couldnt score a run during that 4 game series we ended up splitting. If we get that pitching again, go for the knockout. Put them at 2-10. While we head to 8-3. That's another reason Im still pissed about those 2 Cards losses..not only should we be sitting on 1 loss still but the Cards would be 2-7 right now as well like the Cubs.

The bats need to stay hot this series(and against Nats) since they both have good offenses and we havent shored up our pen yet. It'll get there. But already cost us twice and almost another.

This schedule is tough this month. To come out of it looking like a contender would go a long way. Ive been higher on this team competing than most. So I want 20-7 but I'll settle for 17-10 lol.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They've had success against Lester in the past. I'm hopeful they can get Jamo some support.

Road trips are always tough. If they get through these three series still 2 games over, I think I'd consider that a decent outcome.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Of course just noticed Cubs haven't even played at home yet. Lol wtf. 9 games on the road to start the season? And we had to be the team to go there first while they are desperate for a good series?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Have we faced a lefty starter yet this year?

Best lineup today vs the lefty:
2b Frazier
CF Marte
C Cervelli
3b Kang
RF Melky
1b Bell
LF Martin
ss Gonzo

It would have been nice if Diaz was up at this point. Bell is red-hot but I don't know how transferable it is to the right side of the plate; I'd rather play Diaz at C and Cervelli at 1B.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I still don't get why everyone wants to elevate Kang to the cleanup spot. He not a 3/4 hitter. He's a 5/6 hitter who does his best work when someone productive is in front of him getting on base.

It's not a giant gap, but it's noticeable, especially in this lineup. Ideally he has some combo of Cervelli, Marte, Polanco, Dickerson in front of him getting on base and have pitcher work around those guys, letting Kang see more fastballs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I still don't get why everyone wants to elevate Kang to the cleanup spot. He not a 3/4 hitter. He's a 5/6 hitter who does his best work when someone productive is in front of him getting on base.

It's not a giant gap, but it's noticeable, especially in this lineup. Ideally he has some combo of Cervelli, Marte, Polanco, Dickerson in front of him getting on base and have pitcher work around those guys, letting Kang see more fastballs.

Yeah, this is against lefties though? This isn't our best lineup when Polanco and Dickerson are healthy against righties. This is a depleted lineup against a lefty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad