OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Play On, Garth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Great job by Archer to get through 6 innings, it looked shaky at first, but he managed to grind through it. 3 runs in 6 innings is a perfectly solid start, you should be able to win most games with that kind of start.

I think he'd benefit by attacking batters more than he does. Maybe being a strikeout kind of pitcher means that he's just going to get into a lot of 2-2 or 3-2 counts, but there were at bats where he finished guys off in 3 pitches and I just thought "why doesn't he do this more often?".

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Bullpen time

m38akcv.gif

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, definitely satisfactory stuff from Archer today. Can't totally blame him for how well the ball is flying today, but to me, the low point was that Schleber at bat. Puig thrown out stealing, ahead in the count, and he dug a bit of a hole for himself for no reason and then lobbed a slider over the heart of the plate. But whatever, this isn't MLB The Show. A step forward with efficiency, and importantly, Archer continues to lock things down when it really counts.

Now we just have to pray we have enough offense for Kingham/Brault. My hope is that Kingham can just settle into a groove and maybe get all 3 innings. Maybe Burdi in the 9th. Another solo shot or something would be nice.

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, definitely satisfactory stuff from Archer today. Can't totally blame him for how well the ball is flying today, but to me, the low point was that Schleber at bat. Puig thrown out stealing, ahead in the count, and he dug a bit of a hole for himself for no reason and then lobbed a slider over the heart of the plate. But whatever, this isn't MLB The Show. A step forward with efficiency, and importantly, Archer continues to lock things down when it really counts.

Now we just have to pray we have enough offense for Kingham/Brault. My hope is that Kingham can just settle into a groove and maybe get all 3 innings. Maybe Burdi in the 9th. Another solo shot or something would be nice.
Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable unless we hit double digits. Lots of game left.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Nice hit by Marte, I hope he builds off of it. He's been on of the more disappointing players for me this year.
Yeah, hopefully he can build off that, like Bell did with his hit the other day.

I still can't track the ball on that Bell homer monster shot. I can't see it on screen, haha.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not a good day at the plate for Kang.

Maybe seeing a couple lefty starters against the Cubs will do him some good. I remember a couple of his spring training homers were against JA Happ.

Lester and Q don't scare me. Darvish will either be amazing or terrible.

*I do want to say this: I feel SO much better about our infield defense with Kang being in there instead of Moran. He is just excellent over there; I imagine our pitchers feel the same way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nice outing by Kingham, keep him in for the 8th and see if he can finish this game.

Maybe seeing a couple lefty starters against the Cubs will do him some good. I remember a couple of his spring training homers were against JA Happ.

Lester and Q don't scare me. Darvish will either be amazing or terrible.

Kang's actually better against righties than lefties I believe.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Nice outing by Kingham, keep him in for the 8th and see if he can finish this game.

Kang's actually better against righties than lefties I believe.

For his career, yes, but he's really struggling against breaking stuff away right now. So it's possible that seeing some lefties will help.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nice to see Kang with the solid defensive play there – defense is magnified in trying to round out games like this. And in a sense, this is a bit of a test for Kingham as a long reliever. In a lot of cases, he's doing mop up duty, but it will be nice to have some confidence that you can count on him to steer a boring late game that is still not a complete laugher over the finish line with no fanfare.

Scoreboard watching: Cubs are getting shutout by the Brewers 4-0 in the 6th, and the Cards lead the Padres 2-1 in the 5th. The Cubs offense has been very good so far, so I'd be fine with them taking another loss, even if it's best that the Brewers don't get so far out in front of everyone.

Don't want to look ahead too much, but that series will be an important one. A very good one from Taillon and a win to start will go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad