OT: Raise the Jolly Roger | (Not Gerrit) Cole's Loser Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I was looking at some of the lifetime numbers for Volquez against the Giants hitters, they aren't very good.

Belt is 8 for 18
Posey is 5 for 9
Sandoval is 6 for 13

Volquez has done a good job against Pence 7 for 36, but Pence has 3 homers.

Against Bumgarner we got a few guys with some decent numbers

Harrison 4 for 5
Martin and Mercer 3 for 7
Gaby and Walker 3 for 9

My lineup would be
Harrison
Mercer
Cutch
Martin
Marte
Walker
Gaby
Snider

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I was looking at some of the lifetime numbers for Volquez against the Giants hitters, they aren't very good.

Belt is 8 for 18
Posey is 5 for 9
Sandoval is 6 for 13

Harrison 4 for 5
Gaby and Walker 3 for 9

My lineup would be
Harrison
Mercer
Cutch
Martin
Marte
Walker
Gaby
Snider

My guess at the lineup is:

Harrison
Mercer
Cutch
Walker
Martin
Marte
Snider
Gaby

But there are def a couple things that could move around in there...

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
For one, there is no way Walker is batting cleanup against a leftie.

Probably right, I have in my head taht they have played him more there this year than in the past, but would make sense to drop him a cuople spots. He has def improved a lot vs lefties this year which is good. The power isn't there, but he actually has a higher average/OBP vs lefties this year than vs righties oddly.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Belt is 8 for 18
Posey is 5 for 9
Sandoval is 6 for 13

Harrison 4 for 5
Gaby and Walker 3 for 9

My lineup would be
Harrison
Mercer
Cutch
Martin
Marte
Walker
Gaby
Snider

Marte is tearing the cover off the ball. Plus his speed is needed up top. Mercer doesn't run well enough IMO to put him at 2 in a game like this. If Cutch or Martin gap one, you can bet Marte is scoring from 1st base. Mercer, not so much in most cases. Otherwise like the setup.

Harrison
Marte
Cutch
Martin
Mercer
Walker
Gaby
Snider

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
While I certainly want our best pitcher on the mound for the only do or die game of the season, I'm okay with Volquez starting considering we had a shot at the division on the last day of the season. Look at Volquez's numbers this month ... 1.08 ERA, 2nd best in MLB. The dude is absolutely on fire right now

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Probably right, I have in my head taht they have played him more there this year than in the past, but would make sense to drop him a cuople spots. He has def improved a lot vs lefties this year which is good. The power isn't there, but he actually has a higher average/OBP vs lefties this year than vs righties oddly.

Yeah obp is one thing but his ops is about 100 points higher as a left handed hitter. In addition he has had about 4 times as many ab's as a lefty so his righty average would be likely to regress to the mean considering he has never been a very good right handed hitter. With the depth of our lineup you want Walker as a 7 or 8 hitter as a righty. Tbh I still wish he would just hit leftie all the time.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Volquez has been outperforming his peripherals and his FIP/xFIP. I think the Hurdle is putting too much stock in his low ERA recently.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Anyone mention the fact that the Giants have to fly cross country for the game and how that could be a nice advantage for the Buccos in a one-off?

Not to mention we can recruit some fans to go and pull some fire alarms and what not at their team hotel....

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Anyone mention the fact that the Giants have to fly cross country for the game and how that could be a nice advantage for the Buccos in a one-off?

Not to mention we can recruit some fans to go and pull some fire alarms and what not at their team hotel....

That actually happened Friday night in Cincinnati at the Westin where the Pirates were staying. :nod:

No Quarter*

I think the Souza catch to save Zimmermans no no the other night for The Nationals is one of the greatest catches I've ever seen!!!!
Ranks with the infamous Edmonds diving catch years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad