OT: Raise the Jolly Roger | (Not Gerrit) Cole's Loser Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't care if Volquez throws a no hitter on wed its still a stupid decision to start him.

The reds letting Cueto hit in the 8th inning was a stupid decision.

If the Steelers go for it on 4th and 10 on there own 20 yard line in the 1st quarter and get the first down its still a stupid decision to go for it.

We just gotta hope that Hurdle's stupid decision works out this time.

That is true. That is very true. People need to realize it might work one time, but those CONSTANT decisions will run you into the ground.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Your a big Volquez supporter and I can respect that. He has had a great September no doubt. But this is the post season. When has he last pitched with this kind of pressure? And we absolutely CANNOT afford to give Bumgarner a 2-3 run lead in the first inning. I truly hope your right but you'll excuse me if I don't go into the game all warm and fuzzy.

When is the last time Cole got through the 1st inning without giving up a run? The game isn't decided in 1 inning. At least on extremely rare occurrences.

Volquez hasn't showed us any signs of imploding. What metric makes us believe he's not going to go out and give us a solid to great outing? What concrete science shows us that, other than typical Pittsburgh paranoia.

I'm fine with EV getting the ball. He's been L.I.G.H.T.S O.U.T for well past a month. Trust him. If he loses and pitches poorly, well i'll be here to take a walk of shame. If he pitches well, then who gives a flying ****, lol?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't care if Volquez throws a no hitter on wed its still a stupid decision to start him.

The reds letting Cueto hit in the 8th inning was a stupid decision.

If the Steelers go for it on 4th and 10 on there own 20 yard line in the 1st quarter and get the first down its still a stupid decision to go for it.

We just gotta hope that Hurdle's stupid decision works out this time.

So if a guy throws a no-hitter, it was stupid? Ok, that's brilliant ****ing logic. Forgot that winning was the most important factor.

Guess what? If we win on Wednesday our rotation is set for the divisional round. Do you not know how good the Pirates are at home? We murder LH pitching more often than not. I like our chances.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
When is the last time Cole got through the 1st inning without giving up a run? The game isn't decided in 1 inning. At least on extremely rare occurrences.

Volquez hasn't showed us any signs of imploding. What metric makes us believe he's not going to go out and give us a solid to great outing? What concrete science shows us that, other than typical Pittsburgh paranoia.

I'm fine with EV getting the ball. He's been L.I.G.H.T.S O.U.T for well past a month. Trust him. If he loses and pitches poorly, well i'll be here to take a walk of shame. If he pitches well, then who gives a flying ****, lol?

I would say the last 21 yrs give us all the reason we need for the bolded.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
So if a guy throws a no-hitter, it was stupid? Ok, that's brilliant ****ing logic. Forgot that winning was the most important factor.

Guess what? If we win on Wednesday our rotation is set for the divisional round. Do you not know how good the Pirates are at home? We murder LH pitching more often than not. I like our chances.

This year we haven't been doing that.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Just to be clear, I'm more than happy with the season the Pirates have put together, Hurdle as the manager (to an extent), and Huntington's job as GM overall (though not perfect, he's delivered on his promises and then some).

I'm just pessimistic about a winner-take-all playoff game with a streaky baseball team. After an extended hot streak, are we trending back to cold bats and bad pitching performances? I'm not sure, and it worries me in the WC game. It worries me precisely for the reason that I think the NL is wide open, and I really think the Pirates have a good chance to win the NL if they make the division series. I think this upcoming WC game is their biggest challenge.

I don't think there's much of a point in arguing about decisions already made. They went all-out for the division and didn't make it. I would have saved Cole for Wednesday, and had Volquez as a potential backup. Now we have Worley or Locke as a backup. Let's hope the offense jumps on Bumgarner early and often, and Volquez doesn't get nervous and lose the strike zone.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Yes, its a terrible decision no matter what happens.

Just like if the Giants would start Peavy and he throws a no hitter it would still be a bad decision.

In sports and in life in general you can make good decisions that turn out bad, and you can make bad decisions that turn out great.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Harrison going cold at the wrong time, Walker still unable to hit in the clutch, Martin injured, and even Cutch hasn't been clutch lately. On top of that Volquez starting the WC game against Bumgarner. I do not have a great bit of confidence going in. Hope I'm wrong.

Xavier Laflamme*

So we just wasted arguably our best pitcher for no reason today and are banking on Volquez, who has been very good lately, but is no sure thing for a one game playoff? Makes sense. Do Hurdle and Tomlin get coffee together?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
So we just wasted arguably our best pitcher for no reason today and are banking on Volquez, who has been very good lately, but is no sure thing for a one game playoff? Makes sense. Do Hurdle and Tomlin get coffee together?

Thank god Bylsma is no longer here. He would be pouring.

Xavier Laflamme*

I still maintain that the Pirates will win a WS before the Steelers or Pens ever win a title moving forward. Said it last year and nothing has changed IMO.

Eh, that's bold. The Pirates have been helped by reclamation projects and other teams tanking around them. They've improved significantly however, but with them installing an in house salary cap while other clubs spend freely, it's going to be rediculously difficult to win a world series. There's a gap between them and teams like the Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, Orioles, where year after year, those teams will spend to compete where as we're in an internal battle as to wether we should sign Russel Martin or not.

I think if I'm betting on any Pittsburgh sports team to win a championship first, it's the Pens.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/51940/did-pirates-mess-up-by-starting-cole

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said it was an easy decision to go with Cole. Hurdle said everyone in the organization was on the same page -- general manager Neal Huntington, team president Frank Coonelly and chairman Bob Nutting. "We tried to play the logical game," Hurdle said before the game. "At the end of the day, after every conversation with every player, the coaching staff, Neal, Bob, Frank -- no way we walk away from an opportunity to win our division."

A big part of my argument to no avail around here. You know what i really like about that quote. It shows something the Steelers and Pens clearly lack in ownership/leadership cohesiveness. Those guys made a collective decision and went with it. The Steelers and Pens are a joke compared to how well the Pirates run things right now, which is insanely ironic given the past 2 decades. Anyone arguing otherwise has no business commenting on Pittsburgh sports.

But it's also easy to understand why the Pirates started Cole. "To pitch [Stolmy] Pimentel or [Casey] Sadler after 161 games of grit and fight and battle ... We're trying to make history here," Hurdle said. "There is no guarantee of how to cut this thing up. So you do what you believe in, and we'll attack it this way."

Again, more conviction. And quite frankly the right conviction. What does it tell the players to essentially give up any hope (yes, i know, there was little to begin with) by throwing scrubs out there? Fans are so emotional in their comments and "decisions". Leave emotion at the door. It's easy to sit behind the keyboard and say Hurdle is a moron after some plan didn't work out and then praise him when something goes our way.....

We'll find out soon enough. But we can all agree it's going to be another insane atmosphere and playoff baseball is back for at least 1 more game in Pittsburgh. That in itself is a huge win for the city, especially with the crap we've been watching lately in reference to the other 2 teams.

Xavier Laflamme*

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/51940/did-pirates-mess-up-by-starting-cole

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said it was an easy decision to go with Cole. Hurdle said everyone in the organization was on the same page -- general manager Neal Huntington, team president Frank Coonelly and chairman Bob Nutting. "We tried to play the logical game," Hurdle said before the game. "At the end of the day, after every conversation with every player, the coaching staff, Neal, Bob, Frank -- no way we walk away from an opportunity to win our division."

A big part of my argument to no avail around here. You know what i really like about that quote. It shows something the Steelers and Pens clearly lack in ownership/leadership cohesiveness. Those guys made a collective decision and went with it. The Steelers and Pens are a joke compared to how well the Pirates run things right now, which is insanely ironic given the past 2 decades. Anyone arguing otherwise has no business commenting on Pittsburgh sports.

But it's also easy to understand why the Pirates started Cole. "To pitch [Stolmy] Pimentel or [Casey] Sadler after 161 games of grit and fight and battle ... We're trying to make history here," Hurdle said. "There is no guarantee of how to cut this thing up. So you do what you believe in, and we'll attack it this way."

Again, more conviction. And quite frankly the right conviction. What does it tell the players to essentially give up any hope (yes, i know, there was little to begin with) by throwing scrubs out there? Fans are so emotional in their comments and "decisions". Leave emotion at the door. It's easy to sit behind the keyboard and say Hurdle is a moron after some plan didn't work out and then praise him when something goes our way.....

We'll find out soon enough. But we can all agree it's going to be another insane atmosphere and playoff baseball is back for at least 1 more game in Pittsburgh. That in itself is a huge win for the city, especially with the crap we've been watching lately in reference to the other 2 teams.

Starting Cole tonight and not having him available for the wildcard game was the wrong decision. I don't care how it's justified by the organization. That's my opinion. Some will agree, some won't, but it doesn't mean I "have no business commenting on Pittsburgh sports".

Xavier Laflamme*

Wow, I just watched the highlight of the Nationals left fielder who made the disgusting over the shoulder diving catch with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th to preserve Zimmermans no hitter..man, that was truly awesome.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Wow, I just watched the highlight of the Nationals left fielder who made the disgusting over the shoulder diving catch with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th to preserve Zimmermans no hitter..man, that was truly awesome.

It was not truly awesome, because of that, I lost my fantasy championship :cry:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
http://www.piratesprospects.com/201...ted-as-the-starter-in-the-wild-card-game.html

LOL @ Tim Williams.

You might be able to go back and second guess the decision to go for the division, which made Liriano and Gerrit Cole unavailable for the Wild Card start. I think it was a good move to go for the division. It could have been won with a few key hits by Arizona, and a few key hits by the Pirates.

Way to backtrack and say you think going for the division was a good idea. Wasn't the tune you were signing a few days ago. And did you see Frank the other day? You want that on 3 days rest? No thanks. I'll take a fresh EV and our home crowd with the rotation set up for the Nats series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad