OT: Raise the Jolly Roger | (Not Gerrit) Cole's Loser Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Diamondbacks with a lead off single in the bottom of the 9th.

2 outs, runners on 1st and 2nd.

Stl takes the lead in the 10th.

Last edited:

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Giants lose!

One way or another, we'll have playoff baseball on the North Shore in October.

penguins2946*

Giants lose!

One way or another, we'll have playoff baseball on the North Shore in October.

Did the Bucs clinch home field advantage for the WC? The best the Giants can do is tie the Pirates, but do the Bucs have the tiebreaker?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Did the Bucs clinch home field advantage for the WC? The best the Giants can do is tie the Pirates, but do the Bucs have the tiebreaker?

Yes, we beat them in the season series, so worst-case scenario, there is a WC in Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

One thing now is that the next two games for the Giants mean absolutely nothing, so they can rest their stars and also manage their pitching to be primed for Wednesday. Curious to see the Pirates approach. It seems like they might just have Volquez pitch the WC game.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Yes, we beat them in the season series, so worst-case scenario, there is a WC in Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

One thing now is that the next two games for the Giants mean absolutely nothing, so they can rest their stars and also manage their pitching to be primed for Wednesday. Curious to see the Pirates approach. It seems like they might just have Volquez pitch the WC game.

I'd pitch Cumpton tomorrow and Locke on 4 days rest Sunday.

Then have all three of Frankie, Cole and Volquez ready to go for the WC and NLDS.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What's the tie breaker situation with the Cards?
If they need to lose both remaining games and the P's to win out, it would seem smart to rest up instead.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, it's season series, so it will be in St. Louis.

Today seems like it will determine a lot, but I don't know. If we are tied for first after tonight, I support throwing Cole tomorrow to go for the division. If we are still one game back, and have to face Cueto while Wainwright pitches for St. Louis, I'd say we don't pitch Cole, hope someone else can step up, and then we'd hypothetically be at an advantage for game 163, because Wainwright would be unavailable and we could use Cole then.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd pitch Cumpton tomorrow and Locke on 4 days rest Sunday.

Then have all three of Frankie, Cole and Volquez ready to go for the WC and NLDS.

That is crazy smart. Especially since Russ is going to get rest, too. Both are quality pitchers that should get us a victory and then we roll all three top guys w/ rest.

I really like that idea.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
At this point i'd rather we just take the 1 game WC berth at home vs SF. Bumgarner is a pretty darn pitcher but we usually murder left handed guys and our record at home speaks for itself.

I believe in any of Liriano, Cole and Volquez. You have to at this point. They have earned it and it would be nice to have all 3 available in the WC game if need be. I simply don't think StL will lose the final 2 games and winning vs Simon and Cueto is far from guaranteed on our end. Even if we tie StL we have to go straight there and play a game that is likely a loss and then turn around on no rest and play again the next day in the WC game.

I have little doubt Liriano is pitching tonight. Hurdle has to go for the division from his seat.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
IIRC the Tie breaker would be Monday, and WC game, Wednesday..... am I wrong on that?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Your right, and Locke would be the pitcher pitching that game in St Louis on Monday.

Man i really hope Hurdle isn't going to burn Cole tomorrow if they are still one game back, AZ isn't going to beat Wainwright tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad