OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: More of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hurdle is bad and almost nothing he does is even ok, but the reason we lost yesterday is because the offense is ice cold. Polanco's hit today is probably his first decent at-bat in four or five games, and Dickerson and Marte were garbage yesterday too. The offense runs through them, and if they are going hitless, it's almost a foregone conclusion that we'll lose.

Freese has been one of the most important secondary players all year, but it's pretty clear now that he needs regular rest, including the day after a night game. There's just as good of an argument for him to be the DH, but it makes sense that he's not going to play back-t0-back when it's a get away game.

Archer is really cruising, and has been dominant today. He got mostly unlucky by giving up all those hits in a row, though the Twins deserve credit for hitting some very tough pitches. Archer's changeup is looking really good, which is a massively good sign.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
(4-5, 4.36) for 3 possible/plausible? studs............

This trade could possibly go down as the worst in franchise history. At this point, it's an extreme overpay.

Edit.........just saw, tally one more bomb for Meadows tonight.

The Loriano sapped my lifelong passion for the club, this trade may have buried it. I know we hate constant negativity on this board, so I will try avoiding this topic for a long while.

But YEESH...... BN x NH +CH = EPIC FAILURE

very last EDIT: just saw this on the Rays page, first few comments regarding trade:

Nice job with the extremely quick writeup

Exciting haul for Archer
Posted by lightning_gator on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:40 PM
It's like the Celebrity Obituaries, they've had this one in the can for a while

Posted by td32 on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:48 PM
what a fleecing

Posted by Noles95' on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:44 PM
Nice get! Easy to why they had to make this trade.

Posted by kapaafire on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:44 PM
Oh hell yeah!

Many predicted it would be Baz, but now confirmed it feels like one hell of a coup by the FO. Credit to our front office and the guys evaluating talent both at the major and minor league levels. Future’s bright…..
Posted by Longorious on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:47 PM

I actually feel bad for Pittsburgh

Posted by npolackw on Aug 14, 2018 | 3:57 PM
The Pirates gave up a lot for a pitcher that goes 10-10 with a 4.00 ERA. In other words, they got a slightly higher than average pitcher and gave up the farm, pun intented, to get him. Really lousy for them. But I'm laughing.

Posted by thespiritof1976 on Aug 14, 2018 | 4:11 PM

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
There are definitely some questions to raise about Archer, but for the last time, I think it's probably a good idea to not do too much judgment until next May or June. It's baseball. Twice in Archer's starts, he's had some very bad defense behind him before thing went awry, and then only even went somewhat awry. We can't have too many of these 5 IP starts, but for anyone that saw him yesterday, he was completely dominating.

This team has other problems in the meantime, anyways. I think the season is absolute toast, even if we come out and rattle off 4 wins against the Cubs. The offense is simply not consistent enough to sustain the kind of record we need over the final weeks to make up the ground. Maybe if Bell or someone else gets really hot, but right now we have health and performance questions about all three of the outfielders. It doesn't seem too farfetched to assume that this homestand/this homestand and the road trip following it will be effectively the nails in the coffin.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
There are definitely some questions to raise about Archer, but for the last time, I think it's probably a good idea to not do too much judgment until next May or June. It's baseball. Twice in Archer's starts, he's had some very bad defense behind him before thing went awry, and then only even went somewhat awry. We can't have too many of these 5 IP starts, but for anyone that saw him yesterday, he was completely dominating.

This team has other problems in the meantime, anyways. I think the season is absolute toast, even if we come out and rattle off 4 wins against the Cubs. The offense is simply not consistent enough to sustain the kind of record we need over the final weeks to make up the ground. Maybe if Bell or someone else gets really hot, but right now we have health and performance questions about all three of the outfielders. It doesn't seem too farfetched to assume that this homestand/this homestand and the road trip following it will be effectively the nails in the coffin.

We get over 10 hits just about every game yet keep stranding guys on base. Not improving the IF with rentals is why this season is over. Guys like Escobar, Dozier, Cabrera could have made a huge difference and were all had for cheap.

We are 4th in MLB in BA but 24th in HRs. Lack of power is killing them. We could still win without it, but having guys like Harrison, Mercer, Hech,(and all of the others throughout the year) led to not getting more runs in. Those guys have no prob hitting with nobody on base with 2 outs...but as soon as we need a clutch hit..not even close. Those holes in the lineup could have been fixed without giving up much.

That along with Hurdle...and here we are. Another ruined season.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
We get over 10 hits just about every game yet keep stranding guys on base. Not improving the IF with rentals is why this season is over. Guys like Escobar, Dozier, Cabrera could have made a huge difference and were all had for cheap.

We are 4th in MLB in BA but 24th in HRs. Lack of power is killing them. We could still win without it, but having guys like Harrison, Mercer, Hech,(and all of the others throughout the year) led to not getting more runs in. Those guys have no prob hitting with nobody on base with 2 outs...but as soon as we need a clutch hit..not even close. Those holes in the lineup could have been fixed without giving up much.

That along with Hurdle...and here we are. Another ruined season.
You know, it's funny I expected to see them at the bottom for RISP(runners left in scoring position), but not so. Not even on runs/game. Middle of the pack on both. Little worse on RISP.

HR/game they are 21st. Still not awesome..
MLB Stats - MLB Team Home Runs per Game on TeamRankings.com

Predictably, they are about what their record indicates. A .500 club right now. The next 10 games tells what the rest of the season is going to be. Hopefully, not a complete shit show.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Mercer to the DL. Newman and Luplow brought up. Sadler DFA’d.

It’ll be fun watching Hurdle give Newman the least possible chance to show his stuff up here.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Prediction:

Newman leads the team to a 10 game win streak.

Only happens due to injury.

Hurdle's level of genius shows again.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Here's something to lighten the room:

Waiter: Would you like some pepper, Mr. West?
Joe West: Please.
Waiter: [grinds pepper]
Joe West: Hey! You’re getting pepper all over my napkin!
Waiter: My apologies. It was my understanding you considered low and away over the plate.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Mercer to the DL. Newman and Luplow brought up. Sadler DFA’d.

It’ll be fun watching Hurdle give Newman the least possible chance to show his stuff up here.
I'm kinda rooting for them to lose a bunch of games now. Get to the point where there is no shot and maybe, just maybe, Hurdle will give Newman a bunch of games at SS. I'd really like to get an idea if he's ready to step into the starting SS role next year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Interesting new offensive strategy to hit into a double play every inning. Hurdle never rests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad