OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: More of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The initial terrible call by Joe West that they just showed looms pretty large. Was only one out, so we were pretty likely going to get another run out of that, and maybe bust the game open.

Taillon could have been better, but this has been a piss poor offensive effort made worse by West's utterly abysmal umpiring. Dickerson, Marte, Polanco have all looked bad tonight, and it looks like we're in for yet another bad loss to a mediocre team.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Without exaggeration, Joe West has gifted the Twins 10 calls tonight. Hurdle needs to get himself tossed.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hope they tank the season now...maybe that will get hurdle fired. NH is all in with those trades...he has to do something or its his job too.

But we have an owner who doesnt care so prob wont happen.

Cards fire Matheny and are about to be in a WC spot.

Guarantee if we fire hurdle tomm this team makes the playoffs. The guy is a mess(not only do Diaz and Frazier sit tonight when theres a DH...they dont even PH when there two of our hottest hitters).

Our top 4 starters havent let up more than 3 runs in idk how long...and we lost most of those games. This team scores a bunch of runs for holmes, nova, and kingham tho(all losses as well). Nothing going right.

There needs to be some talk in the media about Hurdle. a player(s) need to speak up...something

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Really unfortunate that Dickerson got hurt. He was on a tear and hasn't been the same since he came back from the DL.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, between that and Marte and Polanco, who are officially in putrid slumps (especially Greg), we pretty much don't have a chance right now. Freese can only do so much. Maybe a bonus to Mercer having some kind of minor injury is that we'll see Newman, but it seems unlikely.

On its own, tonight wasn't any more devastating than any of the other bad losses we've suffered. Taillon probably should have been better, but it's not exactly fair to need a shutout to win, something that goes for Musgrove in his past couple of starts as well. The performance against teams like the Mets, Giants, now Twins, and maybe to an extent the Cardinals really speaks for itself.

Can we turn it around on a dime against probably the three best teams in the NL? Can't rule it out, but can't say I have any confidence at all. There's just too much of a deficit that's formed - we'll have to play around .700 to have a chance, especially if we don't do something like rattle off a bunch of wins immediately and get some luck with shaving off games in short order.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Headed to the west coast for a week, so I'll miss most of the Cubs series which is undoubtedly make or break. In terms of the mathematics, we're lucky to still be just 5 games out, and probably doubly lucky that we have so many games left against our direct competitors. I assume Washington also has some games left against Atlanta, but at least in this sense we are in a better position than them and San Francisco: they need us to beat the teams ahead of all of us in the race, but if we do that, it helps us at least as much as it helps them, and probably more.

Those teams both probably need to get involved in their divisional races to have a chance. San Francisco is in a much better spot, whereas Washington is pretty much in our boat. For both us and the Nats, we have to be scorching hot in the remainder of the season, enough to at least be somewhat involved in divisional races that we are extremely far behind in, simply because the bottom line becomes the number of wins from the 4th and 5th best teams.

Bracketing the mathematics, it was likely always going to take something like another winning streak or seriously dramatic winning stretch (like a 4 game sweep, almost all series wins, maybe a 3 game sweep or two). We're dangerously close to really collapsing back down into the dregs of how we've played this year, and experience should tell us that it's foolish to expect a rapid turnaround. The one hope is that even during this mediocrity, the starting pitching has remained very good, which is what makes several of these losses so annoying. I think it pretty much comes down to a captain obvious observation: either these pitchers keep it up, and the offense wakes the f*** back up, and, combined with a little luck, we still climb back into this for September, or else the pitchers will mostly regress, and the wheels will pretty much come off. I don't think there's any real likelihood of something that could lead to Hurdle's firing, and while a big slump probably leaves us with another pick at #8 or #9, I am hopeful that we can at least extend the stress and frustration of following the 2018 Pirates into mid-September.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
not even gonna get into little details about what needs to happen each series.

at this point its gonna take another 10+ win streak.

Basically what the Cards are doing.

Worst thing about these losses(other than losing by one) is they were preventable.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hurdle - “guys Freese is playing too good. We should sit him and keep Harrison in the lineup.”

And Diaz out for the second straight game when he could be a perfect DH in this series. Hurdle outdoes himself every time. Diaz has been one of our hottest hitters. And obviously need his bat since our OF fell off. Harrison provides nothing to this team.

I cant wait til 2019 when Mercer/Harrison are replaced.

If we would have done what I said and added a rental IF(Dozier, Escobar, Cabrera) we may be a few games back right now. They were all had for cheap. Makes no sense for NH to make those trades but not improve the IF

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Jesus f***ing Christ, if the Twins get one more bloop single in this series, we should just pack it in. What in the god damn f***? This f***ing sucks.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Really need a crooked number here - Berrios labored last inning, we need to get some guys on base and do damage. Hoping that Dickerson or Frazier can be set up for it. Polanco is totally lost.

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
And Diaz out for the second straight game when he could be a perfect DH in this series. Hurdle outdoes himself every time. Diaz has been one of our hottest hitters. And obviously need his bat since our OF fell off. Harrison provides nothing to this team.

I cant wait til 2019 when Mercer/Harrison are replaced.

If we would have done what I said and added a rental IF(Dozier, Escobar, Cabrera) we may be a few games back right now. They were all had for cheap. Makes no sense for NH to make those trades but not improve the IF
I really wanted Cabrera. Bad.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Wonder what happens if Hurdle plays Frazier(over Harrison) and Diaz at DH last night. We dont lose by 1..

Hes been doing shit like this all year.

Diaz hits a HR today to tie it and get the team going. Shocker. We got lucky Marte got sick. lol f***ing joke.

He is having a breakout season...build off this for next season..become our franchise catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad