OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Let the Kids Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

This makes sense, and might be a slight indication that we have soured on Reyes. Don't want to be too harsh on Reyes with small sample size, but Newman learning CF basically puts him in direct competition with Reyes. I think one of the final bench spots is probably more between those two than anything. In the long run, I don't know if both Cabrera and Chisenhall make sense, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. The five bench spots could shake out to be Cervelli/Diaz, Moran/Kang, Cabrera, Chisenhall, and Newman/Reyes. When Gonzalez is healthy, we probably have to make a decision about whether to carry all of those OFs, including whether we might shop somebody like Dickerson as a rental (I don't really think we should).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't think Tucker is guaranteed a roster spot for the long haul.

Tucker has played very little at triple A, its not NH style to bring these players up without having time at triple A.

If Tucker starts to struggle we could see some type of platoon at short with Newman/Reyes til Gonzo gets back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So Newman to the super utility role, Reyes back to AAA and Tucker up as the starting SS until Gonzalez gets back, with the potential of Tucker keeping the job? I'd be all for that.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I think that we'll be cautious with Tucker if it seems like he's becoming overmatched. I think that's why we are dropping him to the #8 spot, which is probably a smart move. The Pirates are very conservative with prospects, but it's been a while since we've seen somebody with Tucker's profile, in terms of having a stock that's really catapulting based on fairly lengthy recent results.

His defense doesn't really need a lot of work, and so if the contact skills basically carry over, I don't think his AAA at-bats really matter all that much. He was basically needing to continue to show the contact skills, and the power is probably going to be about the same either way. If for whatever reason we think the bat still needs some refinement, then I think we'll be conservative, and there's potentially some Super Two retroactive manipulation that we could see. But I think there's a pretty significant chance that he will basically take the reins and run with the job. If the in game power is still there, he's going to look like he has star potential and I don't think we'll mess with it just for the sake of messing with it.

My optimistic hope was always that he'd basically start forcing the issue by the beginning of June or so, and the injury has just given him the opportunity to do so on a quicker timeline. With his profile of a guy with good contact skills who is developing his power stroke, I think we could see something more out of the ordinary, but we're just two games in. Still, the fact that his first two MLB hits were into the CF bushes and into the Northside notch is pretty exciting.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I for one, have long argued against being ultra conservative with prospects. The best teams in the league don't do it. And frankly each prospect/player is unique. You can't treat everyone with the same kid gloves across the board.

Can you imagine Mike Trout coming through our system? What had we drafted Machado over Taillon? Would he have reached the majors in our system so quickly?

Some guys need the time. Others don't. That's why I find it quite refreshing to see a guy like Tucker being given a chance, "ahead of schedule".

I don't care where he and Reynolds hit. Just keep them in the lineup most nights until they play themselves out. I don't want to hear about Super 2 or their age, or inexperience.

Let talent f***ing play.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm a little bit optimistic that Tucker will continue to force the issue based on his specific skillset. The real elephant in the room is that the Pirates have rarely developed position players, or if they did, it has been quite a while. I think Reynolds will almost 100% be sent back when Marte is healthy. If Reynolds really hits out of his mind, then maybe we'll explore what kind of reasonable value we can get for Dickerson, but I think we have to wait and see.

But with Tucker, I'm more concerned about some service time manipulation in the event that he's basically playing pretty well but not tearing it up. I think the contact skills should basically be there, and if the power also keeps showing up, then he's going to make it a lot more difficult for the ultra conservatism to rear its ugly head.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Cards and Brewers are starting a series tonight, we will gain ground on somebody with a win.

I'l probably be rooting for the Brewers, i view the Cards as a bigger threat then Milwaukee.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Pretty impressive transition there from Tucker. That's MLB SS ready defense if I've ever seen it.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, uncharacteristic chase from Moran there. Mostly weak contact from Musgrove but would like to see more swing and miss, especially with him expending a good deal of pitches.

Godley is tricky, because we really need to be patience and work into good counts, but his pitching style can lend itself well to weak contact or overaggression. Might be a frustrating night.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Hopefully that's a wakeup call to the offense. We need a big strike against Godley if he's going to remain this wild with such a weak fastball.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think it's more luck from Godley than the Pirates doing anything poorly. The only real bad thing was Moran swinging at ball four. If they stick with their approach, he's either going to make a mistake that gets crushed, or start walking in runs.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Now we need a shutdown inning from Musgrove, and to keep grinding against Godley. He's really searching on the mound, so another two spot should be doable pretty easily.

Their lineup isn't entirely a pushover, so I really hope Musgrove starts missing more bats the second time through. I don't think we're going to be able to live on BABIP in this series.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It will be interesting to see how Hurdle uses his catchers going forward.

I hope its a situation where he plays the catcher that is playing the best.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
It will be interesting to see how Hurdle uses his catchers going forward.

I hope its a situation where he plays the catcher that is playing the best.

tenor.gif

Reactions: cheesedanish87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I imagine that it will be more or less a platoon going forward, which should hopefully let Cervelli find his game a bit.

We might need another stellar 7-8 IP performance from Musgrove. Not getting at least one run in the first inning stings. Still a lot of game left, but hopefully Musgrove can cruise here and finish strong.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Polanco looks like he hasn't missed a beat from what was, let's not forget, a serious breakout in terms of consistency and ceiling. His pitch recognition and swing both look great. I think it's time to get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad