OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Kuhl. Kuhl, Kuhl, Kuhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Why does Jaso being ineffective against lefties even matter? He literally never plays against a lefty.

He was brought here to play first and be the platoon guy against righties. He's done that and he's done a good job at it as well.
After the Pedro debacle last year I can't believe people are not only ripping Jaso, but suggesting that they replace him with a defender who might be nearly as bad as Alvarez.

Yeah, I don't get why him not hitting lefties is a huge deal, let alone a problem. It was WELL known when he signed that he was basically the left-handed part of a first base platoon because he's been one of the best hitters against righties in the league in the past couple seasons.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
Why does Jaso being ineffective against lefties even matter? He literally never plays against a lefty.

He was brought here to play first and be the platoon guy against righties. He's done that and he's done a good job at it as well. After the Pedro debacle last year I can't believe people are not only ripping Jaso, but suggesting that they replace him with a defender who might be nearly as bad as Alvarez.

Why does it matter? Because the guy who could replace him, Bell, is a lot better at hitting lefties. If you think that Bell is going to be as bad as Pedro at first base then you're expecting the kind of defensive ineptitude that has been on display only twice (Dick Stuart being the first) in the last 50+ years of Pirate baseball. Bell may be below average or even poor defensively but there's only the most remote chance he'll be epically bad.

John Jaso has a bat that plays only if he's a slick fielding middle infielder or catcher (OPS .716 and SLG .376) not as a first baseman. He's a weak hitter playing a power position with an average glove (at best), no speed, no versatility, and the ability to barely exceed mediocrity only against left-handed pitching. As I mentioned before in his so-called offensive specialty (OB percentage) he currently ranks in the bottom half of the Pirates' position players. So tell me what there is exactly to like about having John Jaso on the roster, let alone signed for another year?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
like last season wasnt just a few short months ago and the pedro alvarez experience was all a bad dream

It's actually leading me to believe if people actually remember the dilemma the situation the Pirates were in leading up to the WC game. Pedro's bat (read- POWER) and butchers glove vs Serpico's glove and weak bat.

Although, most of the people I heard (radio and in person conversation) basically subscribed to "Damn the defense" as well, so there's that. I guess it's a fantasy sports world.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
It's actually leading me to believe if people actually remember the dilemma the situation the Pirates were in leading up to the WC game. Pedro's bat (read- POWER) and butchers glove vs Serpico's glove and weak bat.

Although, most of the people I heard (radio and in person conversation) basically subscribed to "Damn the defense" as well, so there's that. I guess it's a fantasy sports world.

i think it just seems impossible that someone thats been playing baseball all their lives and seems like at least a superiorly coordinated athlete could be such a miserable failure at 1b. i wouldve subscribed to that line of thought too until last season.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
I absolutely love the argument of "Damn the defense!"

It's been the standard at first base in MLB for at least 100 years. If you believe Bell is going to be as bad as Pedro defensively then you've added new meaning to the term fantasy sports world.

What is not fantasy is that John Jaso has no business playing first base on a team with playoff hopes. His offensive stats provide clear evidence that what he provides is a "Damn the offense" status to that position which is barely tolerable only for shortstops and catchers.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
You're a peach.

More than 10 errors in the pressure free and learning environment of AAA. Now put that in a pennant race. He might not be Pedro level, but I wouldn't bet it'd be too far off.

And what happens when the bat goes cold? Then you shuttle he back to AAA? Welcome to Headcaseville, population 25 (Mayor Ankiel welcomes you! Sheriff Knoblarchive asks you to refrain from littering)

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Joyce with a 3 run shot!!!

Edit: Jaso with a double.

Thanks ump! Cost us a run.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
And the defense gets careless, costing us an extra run. That's the danger of having a player that plays just about every position...Frazier seemed to forget he was the 2B and not the SS there.

edit: We're approaching 1,000 and I'm heading out for the night, so...time for a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad