OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Grab Your Winter Coat, It's Baseball Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
Now, Hurdle had to have known they weren't going to give Bell anything to hit in that situation. Why not just pinch hit Hanson from the start instead of completely wasting Bell?

You really think Hurdle knew that? Uehara has been one of the best relievers in baseball for a few years. I don't think it matters who's up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The run was unearned because of the error.

Can't blow this opportunity... come on.

Boom... didn't exactly crush it but I"ll take it! Let's get this lead now and some insurance.

It's showing up on mlb.com as an earned run

Edit: oh nevermind, it was showing up as an earned run when I posted that but it's not anymore.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
You really think Hurdle knew that? Uehara has been one of the best relievers in baseball for a few years. I don't think it matters who's up.

Yes. It doesn't matter who is on the mound, the situation - an open first base - dictated that the guy at the plate be given nothing.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'll take it but that is a really bad call. His foot was clearly on the plate when he caught it.

Bad play by Contreras! Thank you very much!

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think it was the right call on Contreras. Cubs with some mental blunders in that inning, and we'll take it. Big ups to Jaso for being a tough at-bat and working the count to draw a walk.

Curious what the backend will look like today. Watson may not be available, and that would probably be the right call. Hoping for Nicasio and then Rivero.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't think it can be overstated how much it would mean to the psyche of this team to sweep the Cubs here. Winning a series like this could lead to bigger and better things this season.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It would certainly give them momentum heading into a series with the Cards. The pitching should be in the Buccos' favor with Nova, Kuhl, and Cole going.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think it was the right call on Contreras. Cubs with some mental blunders in that inning, and we'll take it. Big ups to Jaso for being a tough at-bat and working the count to draw a walk.

Curious what the backend will look like today. Watson may not be available, and that would probably be the right call. Hoping for Nicasio and then Rivero.

I was in the car when it happened so I never saw it, but on the radio, Walkie was looking at the replay, and said he was clearly off the plate.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't think it can be overstated how much it would mean to the psyche of this team to sweep the Cubs here. Winning a series like this could lead to bigger and better things this season.

If Taillon and Kuhl can be consistent and Glasnow can continue to make steps this team will compete for the division. If they did it with solid pitching in 2015 they can do it this year.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

Definitely.

Not to mention what it would do for the fans confidence in the team. Don't want to lose people so quick out of the gate.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Maybe the Dexter Fowler-less Cubs are just a .500 team, just like last year.

I say that more in hope and jest than a definitive proclamation, but you never know.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm starting to like Fraiser more and more. And it's awesome that the Pirates managed to get Rivero for Melancon last year, great asset management there.

Why is Kuhl pinch hitting lmao

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If Taillon and Kuhl can be consistent and Glasnow can continue to make steps this team will compete for the division. If they did it with solid pitching in 2015 they can do it this year.

Agreed - Glasnow is really what will determine the ceiling in my view. Not that Kuhl is a sure thing, but if Glasnow actually does settle in and then starts to improve, a division run is well within the capability of the team. One thing I'd really like to see some more of is using Williams aggressively as part of a bridge to the backend of the bullpen. He's earned the chance to be kind of in the Nicasio role of coming into close games in the sixth inning.

Pirates definitely need to add on here. No sense in wasting this opportunity. A sweep is right in our grasp. Wow, Frazier!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad