OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Good Vibes Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Rough night for Tahnaj Thomas, just didn't have control and got tagged for 3 HRs and several walks. Pulled after 1.2 innings, will be interesting to see how he bounces back next time. Jose Soriano also didn't make it out of the first inning in Bradenton.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Rough night for Tahnaj Thomas, just didn't have control and got tagged for 3 HRs and several walks. Pulled after 1.2 innings, will be interesting to see how he bounces back next time. Jose Soriano also didn't make it out of the first inning in Bradenton.

Big variance in arm talent and ability to pitch. Those guys will likely have some wild swings in the early going.

Speaking of wild, Bradenton is in a tie ball game with Palm Beach. It's 11 to 11 in the top of the 4th. Greensboro has given up 11 runs through 4 innings.

Soriano got nuked. Yikes. Same with Thomas as you mentioned.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Hayes 2-3 with a BB tonight so far. Just ripped a double out to right. Been alternating between 3B and DH now for a few games. Figure he'll get out in the field a few more times before the first week of June.

He looks ready. Please stay healthy sir!!!

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I saw that they are treating it like early spring training essentially, so maybe he'll get a game in the field tomorrow, then a day off, and then play back-to-back in the field, etc. No reason to push anything, though sincerely what is on the line is the MLB team being even watchable at all.

Frazier will be traded soon, but maybe we'll have a few brief weeks of Frazier-Hayes-Reynolds-Moran-Stallings, which is way more competent than anything we've had in weeks.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
RB, with the Mets suggestion

Pittsburgh Pirates: Proposing Adam Frazier to the New York Mets

I had suggested Alvarez earlier but he seems to have hit his way into untouchable land. Would be interesting if we somehow caught a desperate Mets team and got Mauricio (SS), and how that impacts who we'd select in the upcoming draft (provided the trade happens before then).

Other than that, I think the recent shining of the light on Frazier around the league is only helping drive the value narrative. Him hitting among the league leaders is icing on the cake. I'd absolutely want a Baty then as a centerpiece and Frazier, given his age, versatility and plus hit tools, might realistically fetch a Baty.

Mets definitely seem like a good fit for Fraizer/getting a nice return.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Hayes 2-3 with a BB tonight so far. Just ripped a double out to right. Been alternating between 3B and DH now for a few games. Figure he'll get out in the field a few more times before the first week of June.

He looks ready. Please stay healthy sir!!!

I hope he does stay healthy. We have few players who bring entertainment value and he is one of them.

I do not care about wins and losses this year, I just want to have a good time watching baseball... well and be surprised by a few nice wins or individual performances.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
RB, with the Mets suggestion

Pittsburgh Pirates: Proposing Adam Frazier to the New York Mets

I had suggested Alvarez earlier but he seems to have hit his way into untouchable land. Would be interesting if we somehow caught a desperate Mets team and got Mauricio (SS), and how that impacts who we'd select in the upcoming draft (provided the trade happens before then).

Other than that, I think the recent shining of the light on Frazier around the league is only helping drive the value narrative. Him hitting among the league leaders is icing on the cake. I'd absolutely want a Baty then as a centerpiece and Frazier, given his age, versatility and plus hit tools, might realistically fetch a Baty.

Mets definitely seem like a good fit for Fraizer/getting a nice return.

Yeah, I think they are a good fit and would have to be very desperate to start talking about either Alvarez or Mauricio. Still, it's worth saying that we don't have as much of a handle on their decision-making process under the new regime, and I think the existence of Cohen is a genuine wild card. We pretty much know for sure that guys like Friedman, Anthropolous, and Cashman just do not trade their top prospects, and maybe you can toss Preller in there, though I think he's probably better in a class with Dipoto as guys for whom, you just can't rule anything out but it would probably be unexpected.

Vientos and Baty are both interesting guys as potential big sticks who are currently playing a position that you hope we'll have anchored down as long as possible. Hard to turn a nose up at either one.

I don't think the Mets are going to want another SP, but certainly they (and everyone else) can use a reliever. In fact, I think the biggest looming question is whether it's reasonable for Cherington to combine multiple pieces in order to chase a specific prospect or package from a team. It's hard to expect something like that given the nature of how teams do business these days – I think it's more likely that we'll see yet another trade centered around very young players, since that gives you the best chance to have a situation like we might have with Escotto, for instance.

But I guess we'll see. Frazier is going to be a pretty attractive player even though I don't think teams are going to be totally fooled into thinking his season is what you'll get out of him next year. He does have the track record to suggest that he can mostly sustain this play, and I think that could also factor in for teams -- they don't necessarily need to have a great player next year too if Frazier is going to approximate this pace for them throughout this season and into the playoffs.

For my money, the clearest suitor is still going to be the Yankees. They just do not have a lefty bat in that lineup and he'd go a long way inserted at various parts of the order for them.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
In the latest round of mocks from last night/this morning, Callis has us taking Mayer and Law has us taking Davis. Both seem pretty insistent on the fact that Lawler/Mayer/Davis are above Leiter and Rocker for us (and others), though Callis has Leiter going to the Rangers in this one. I think it's still just settling in from the college regular season and not too meaningful until we see what happens in the CWS.

Most relevant comment from Callis for our purposes probably:

Leiter to the Rangers when Lawlar is still on the board would be interesting, since a lot of people seemed to think that Lawlar is a shoo-in for them due to the local connection. My optimistic read is that Cherington's office has seemed to be pretty tight-lipped, but the trend is pretty undeniable at this point.

Given that trend, I've come more and more around on Davis. The power and plate discipline just really stand out, but the floor could be really bad. He seems to be lauded for the intangibles of a catcher, but I do not think his receiving skills are very good and college catchers do not call games except in rare circumstances, so it would definitely take a little bit to get him up to speed.

If you gambled on it all coming together, it could really work out for you, but it reads as a double gamble to me. You'd be gambling on a catcher that's not a slam dunk in the same way Rutschman was and you'd presumably be gambling that the slot money saved would allow you to go over in the comp round. The sense I get is that this should be a viable strategy but it doesn't seem like a lock that someone you want will definitely be there.

Surely going around in circles at this point because I think there's a fair amount of consensus in the thread about who we prefer, so there's not much else to do but have things play out. I think the scenario I like the most is Leiter and then a college bat in the comp round -- doesn't sound like Fabian is going to be there, but maybe Ethan Wilson from South Alabama, who has big power.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't put a lot of stock into these flailing mock drafts. I followed (still do) the NFL draft and college football very closely for years and you see the experts all over the map, unless there is an absolute stud coming out. It's their job to keep content fresh and by mocking 5-6 players to the Pirates at 1, they can always come back and say "see, I told you so". We've seen both Vandy guys, both HS SS, Davis to this point. The bats being more popular the past month.

I don't buy it. You'd think Rocker regressed/completely bombed and Leiter didn't put up a sterling 1st full season in the SEC, with an absolutely dominant fastball profile. I think the smoke and mirrors are in full effect. Rocker in particular put up comparable numbers across the board to Leiter and had much better command. And most mocks have him outside the top 3, a few having him falling below 5. If you're telling me Hancock and Lacy were better prospects capable of being drafted higher, I'd just laugh. But that's what a lot of experts are predicting now.

Unless you're convinced the high risk/high reward arms in the minors now have a couple of near locks for MLB duties, I cannot see how you get off the Vandy pitchers. They're going to help your MLB team much sooner than a HS bat and probably a full year ahead of someone like Davis who will have some work to do behind the dish as he moves up through a system. Rocker/Leiter line up with Hayes timeline. Lawlar/Mayer do not, though maybe you view them as a torch bearer after Hayes is traded/walks in FA down the line. I just can't see a HS bat getting up to the MLB level before 2024 unless they're absolutely murdering the minors.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I agree -- there's no way to rule out the fact that the Pirates scouts end up just liking one guy over all the rest, obviously, but the HS pick would pretty much be a signal to me that the rebuild is not necessarily going to focus around Hayes, which I think is a setup for failure because it's very unlikely that we will be able to get a player as good as him to build around. I suppose there's some far off chance that we'd still sign Hayes and perhaps some others to an extension, but if we're going to be totally out on both Vandy pitchers, it's a move that -- all else being equal -- is only going to look ok if they both bust or the guy you take is a franchise cornerstone.

I think a lot of it is noise with respect to the usual kind of musical chairs and evaluation fickleness. There are always some sneaking questions about top MLB prospects, and I think it was always going to be the case that the CWS performances would matter quite a bit.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I had no issue with them dealing Josh Bell but the return on that one is looking pretty suspect at the moment. Nothing about Crowe sticks out as giving him a ceiling any higher than a long reliever/swing guy and he's already 26. Yean is struggling mightily in Bradenton. It's only been a couple of months, but then again people are applauding the Taillon return on a similar window, so it seems fair to note.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think that's a good point, though in part it reflects the value Bell had/has. Yean is a longer-term developmental project. For me, Crowe is still more of the head scratcher. I was slightly intrigued that he was throwing harder, and wondering if maybe the Pirates saw that they could make some tweaks with him or something, but if he's just a warm body to eat innings, you have to wonder if Bell's value was so bad that we couldn't just get another developmental project.

I do think Crowe can be tweaked to be a little more effective as a middle reliever, but the early results don't look great. With Yean, I'm willing to give it some time, but in the end it really seems like the Taillon deal is leagues apart from the others. I suppose Head is starting to hit for some power but he's had a slow start (Endy Rodriguez seems like the best player in that deal to me, but it's probably not smart to jump to any conclusion yet).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, Moran can't get back soon enough. He has no utility on the bench as a quasi-glove first 1B.

Bottom is really falling out right now for the team. Not when or if a return to some stasis is in the cards.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I just saw that highlight. Incredible. Craig is fully onboard with a tank.

I haven’t watched much of the Pirates lately but what do people think of Shelton? Granted his rosters have been awful but some of his lineup decisions are really questionable.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have been thankfully distracted from this one, but it's truly beyond parody that we haven't been able to hit a HR for like a month straight and today have 3, but they are all solo shots and we are still losing because of the worst play the sport has ever seen.

Regarding Shelton, I increasingly think he's here just as a "good vibes" guy and will be replaced sooner or later. It might be a little unfair to him, but he more than anyone probably needs some big signs of life out of the team in 2022. I know some are skeptical that any window can begin in 2023, but whether or not you think there's a chance of that, it would be pretty easy timing to install new coaching blood just as most of the main talent is reaching and/or settling into the majors. I sort of suspect that has been the plan all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad