OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Fire Sale Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
My favorite thing is when Brault pitches and the commentators marvel that he gets outs by living high in the zone with the fastball.

Only the entire league has caught on to this for a few years now. Along the line, some smart individuals realized that most hitters hit the ball better low in the zone, especially on fastballs.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
High fastballs are only worrisome when you have a guy that can only touch 91 or 92 and/or only a couple ticks between his pitches doing that. When you have good zip, mix your pitches, and have good speed separation in your arsenal, the high fastball is a devastating weapon.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What are the chances Nutting moves the Pirates when PNC park is deemed too old in 10-15 years?

The lease is up sooner than most think. 2030.

Lots of variables between now and then.

For one, baseball may finally wake up and join the rest of major sports in the country with a cap and floor of some sort. Another is that Pittsburgh is growing rapidly as a young vibrant city. Most would be surprised to know that only 20 percent of the city is age 60 or older currently. Sixty percent are under 40 years old, and it is becoming a go to city for millennials. Maybe the city will be too vibrant and upcoming a market for baseball to allow movement.

But it is a scary prospect of the possibility of blackmail or moving of a team who will be just shy of a century and a half of baseball in Pittsburgh.

I would love to hope that baseball would step in because of that history but I am not optimistic given the leagues focus and priorities currently.

The Pirates have been in Pittsburgh for over 130 years, placing them among the most historic continuous professional sports franchises in the world. To imagine that run won’t extend beyond 150 years is a little depressing. I don’t foresee the relationship between fans and owners improving nor do I expect the current ownership group to sell. Pittsburgh’s not getting any bigger while a number of other cities continue to grow and grow rapidly. While I expect Major League Baseball to say publicly they’ll do everything they can to keep baseball in Pittsburgh, I could see them discussing how much better the organization could do in a number of other places if push comes to shove. We’re a long way off from any changes happening, and the Pirates will play here for at least another eleven years. A lot can change, but if current trends continue, I just don’t feel great about the Buccos future in the Pittsburgh.

Imagining A Pittsburgh Without The Pirates - The Point of Pittsburgh

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The lease is up sooner than most think. 2030.

Lots of variables between now and then.

For one, baseball may finally wake up and join the rest of major sports in the country with a cap and floor of some sort. Another is that Pittsburgh is growing rapidly as a young vibrant city. Most would be surprised to know that only 20 percent of the city is age 60 or older currently. Sixty percent are under 40 years old, and it is becoming a go to city for millennials. Maybe the city will be too vibrant and upcoming a market for baseball to allow movement.

But it is a scary prospect of the possibility of blackmail or moving of a team who will be just shy of a century and a half of baseball in Pittsburgh.

I would love to hope that baseball would step in because of that history but I am not optimistic given the leagues focus and priorities currently.

Imagining A Pittsburgh Without The Pirates - The Point of Pittsburgh
If this is true then perhaps Pirates leaving isn't so far-fetched. Younger generations aren't really watching baseball.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If this is true then perhaps Pirates leaving isn't so far-fetched. Younger generations aren't really watching baseball.

Google Pittsburgh's demographics. Only around 14 percent are 65 or older. I was surprised by the numbers as well.

The Mayor deserves some credit for handling the city in the right way.

Some was dumb luck. The AI and robotics got its seed money from the Three Mile Island disaster believe it or not. One of the top robotics people in the world was a CMU professor and they needed robots to go into the reactor core. So they had him form a team and paid for it and it grew from there.

But handling that to make the city attractive deserves credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad