OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Down The Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If we really want to know who the prob was...then we go with same Pitching staff to start the season.

Joe Maddon to Angels btw. Can def see them offering Cole a crazy amount...to land him. They have to. Already wasted enough years of Trout. Get Cole to go with Trout, Ohteni, etc.

Would attract alot more FAs as well.

Cole is going to get paid and then some. Unless he wants an absolutely insane amount (and I suspect given the personality and his having been a member of the Pirates, it's not all about the money for him), someone will otherwise give him whatever he wants.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yanks down 4-2 in 9th with 1 out. 2 run HR by LeMahieu(what a FA pick up....the 2% chance type signing to get those types of results all season) and now he just kept Yankees alive

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I still want Jay Bell who hasnt even been mentioned for us. But was considered the 2nd best candidate for Manager before this season started(prob pushing him back due to the success of Astros , Rays, etc and more guys moving up). But hes been in minors for years working his way up thru the Yanks system. Was with us in 2013. And who can forget him lasting in Pitt longer than everyone from those early 90s playoff teams. Biggest reason is how well he relates to young players...and we have a bunch of our top prospects coming up the next few years. Its important whoever the hire is...gets the most out of these guys. I swear if we end up taking a step back due to a hire worse than Hurdle, with the guys like Hayes, Tucker, Cruz, etc not delivering.....just move the team lol

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I can't disagree with that sentiment, especially after the tone deaf way the organization addressed it.

I still kind of want Cole to get the ring and all the other hardware as a giant middle finger to the Pirates, but I guess a ring for Hudson is a lesser eff you.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This one has been pretty surprising – didn't assume the Nats would have much of a chance, and still think it's a bit dicey. The 7th here is certainly looming large. If this rookie can get through it, the Nats might have a chance to steal this one and really shift the tenor of this series.

Juan Soto is insane. Lucky that we aren't in the NL East and locked in to facing him and Acuña for years to come.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
tenor.gif

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Hopefully the new president moves on from Huntington as well. Or Nutting will just promote him or Stark to that position.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't think Huntington is as much of a problem as most people seem to think. I think he's basically about as good of a counter-acting force as you can get with Nutting making the final payroll decisions. And if the payroll won't go back up to at least 90M or so, it's all a moot point anyways – the only interesting/exciting things will be how guys like Keller, Reynolds, eventually Cruz and Hayes do.

But seemingly Coonelly negotiated a TV contract and was then let go, which seems... not ideal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, bringing up whether Hunnington's job would be safe is an interesting thing to think about if they're getting a new president. But that brings up an important question though, who's actually calling the shots here? Is it Nutting or is it the president?

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
I don't think Huntington is as much of a problem as most people seem to think. I think he's basically about as good of a counter-acting force as you can get with Nutting making the final payroll decisions. And if the payroll won't go back up to at least 90M or so, it's all a moot point anyways – the only interesting/exciting things will be how guys like Keller, Reynolds, eventually Cruz and Hayes do.

But seemingly Coonelly negotiated a TV contract and was then let go, which seems... not ideal.
the minor league development is a disaster and that all falls on nh

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Nutting calls all of the shots at the end of the day, though I'm sure that within certain bounds, the president and GM make calls.

This does clearly put Huntington on the hot seat for next year I think, but it's not like he wasn't already. I just hope he has some room to maneuver... this team isn't as bad as the second half said, but they won't be good enough without at least a significant addition at catcher, and multiple pitchers in some fashion.

Edit- I'm not an ardent NH fan, I just think, basically, be careful what you wish for. Development in the organization hasn't been good, but draft-wise overall Huntington comes out as average. I'm not as sure that the problems of the organization are fixed with someone else as GM, though I guess I would say that in today's game, it would be hard to hire a total moron GM who would want to go old school on everything. They basically don't exist anymore, and in that way, maybe replacing NH isn't as big of a deal as I'm suggesting.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, bringing up whether Hunnington's job would be safe is an interesting thing to think about if they're getting a new president. But that brings up an important question though, who's actually calling the shots here? Is it Nutting or is it the president?
Just from things I’ve read over the years, I get the impression that Nutting keeps his nose out of that business to a degree. I think he obviously sets budgets or whatever, but I think he lets management have some freedoms to do their own thing. That’s just what I’ve surmised. Could be totally off base.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I like the cleaning house, but I would also like to say none of these guys deserve the hate that's going to get flung at them. All of these guys were good to great hires at the time. It was a very good and progressive group, again for the time, when the organization as a whole, not just players, needed ripped to the studs and rebuilt. It's a shame that most, maybe all, couldn't or weren't allowed to really grow the team past that milestone marker.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
oof they already have a replacement? on second thought this is gonna be dumb and disappointing?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dejan Kovacevic: Jeff Banister for Pirates manager, because caring counts

I just saw this article, where DK said that Coonelly won't be with the Pirates for much longer, but it's mostly about Banister. What sucks is that I genuinely think he'd be a good hire, because his resume is legitimately strong and he's well liked by the team (according to this). But you know hiring Banister will be such a deflating thing, because it's the exact kind of move you think the Pirates would make. Even if Banister is the best candidate, hiring him as the manager will have a dramatically negative response just because of how predictable it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad