OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Down The Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
High fastballs are only worrisome when you have a guy that can only touch 91 or 92 and/or only a couple ticks between his pitches doing that. When you have good zip, mix your pitches, and have good speed separation in your arsenal, the high fastball is a devastating weapon.

Good riddance.

I guarantee you Mario or Cuban would have a ballclub back in Pittsburgh within a few years max.

The lease is up sooner than most think. 2030.

Lots of variables between now and then.

For one, baseball may finally wake up and join the rest of major sports in the country with a cap and floor of some sort. Another is that Pittsburgh is growing rapidly as a young vibrant city. Most would be surprised to know that only 20 percent of the city is age 60 or older currently. Sixty percent are under 40 years old, and it is becoming a go to city for millennials. Maybe the city will be too vibrant and upcoming a market for baseball to allow movement.

But it is a scary prospect of the possibility of blackmail or moving of a team who will be just shy of a century and a half of baseball in Pittsburgh.

I would love to hope that baseball would step in because of that history but I am not optimistic given the leagues focus and priorities currently.

Imagining A Pittsburgh Without The Pirates - The Point of Pittsburgh

If this is true then perhaps Pirates leaving isn't so far-fetched. Younger generations aren't really watching baseball.

Google Pittsburgh's demographics. Only around 14 percent are 65 or older. I was surprised by the numbers as well.

The Mayor deserves some credit for handling the city in the right way.

Some was dumb luck. The AI and robotics got its seed money from the Three Mile Island disaster believe it or not. One of the top robotics people in the world was a CMU professor and they needed robots to go into the reactor core. So they had him form a team and paid for it and it grew from there.

But handling that to make the city attractive deserves credit.

[insert random bike lane complaint here]

Continue!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Great outing by Keller, they desperately need him to be legit as soon as possible.

So many missed opportunities on offense though. At least two lead-off doubles.

I mean, when we get good pitching qe cannot hit and when we hit, pitching is awful. Oh and sometimes, both suck and we get the Nats series.

I guess I got their last good series whe I went in early July.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Keller with his first great start. Good to see.

Hayes on a tear this month(two 4 hit games this month....3 for 4 a day before...avg up to .260 now with 28 Doubles, 3 triples, 10 HRs) looking for his call up in September. We Will get a look at our Franchise 3B. Not worried as much about his bat at first i just want to see him making gold glove type plays at 3B.

Looking forward to Tucker's second time around. We saw Newman improve, Im expecting Tucker too as well. Actually think Cole has more raw power and is still 3 Years younger than him.

Mason Martin, 2 more HRs last night for 34 (and 32 doubles, 4 triples) on the year to go with minors leading 123 RBIs. .950 OPS in A and High A combined. At 20 years old that's what is impressive about it. We now have him, Mitchell, Castro all 20 years old in High A. While Cruz is 20 at AA. We rarely had that in the past.

Swaggerty on a tear as well(.450 avg past month), and finally putting it all together. Yeah hes 21 but didnt have much experience in pro's. Also doesnt just rely on his bat. He has 22 steals and a great defender in CF.

Then guys like Oliva(.290 with 35 XBH and 35 steals), Jonah Davis with 18 HRs now in 50 games this year. We look stacked at CF throughout the system. Remember the name Jasiah Dixon who we surprisingly got to sign in the 23rd round this year. Thought for sure he would go to college and end up a 2-4th round pick. Hes batting .375 with 6 2B and 6 SB in 16 games for GCL. Sammy Siani as well at CF. So Id say we are fine there and could trade Marte for a great return. Sell high.

Catcher is the problem. And while it's too late to move guys like Will Craig or Mason Martin there(basically guys who have great power and a good arm but not really any other tools) I wonder if theyd give 16 year old 3B Alexander Mojica a change. If anyone remembers hes setting records in DSL and getting comparisons to some all time greats. Hes played 3B/1B/DH for DSL. Hed be the perfect candidate to try at Catcher. Thats what happened with Contreras and look how great hes been. If it doesnt work(ends up messing with his bat) then fine. But with no catchers in the system they need to start trying other guys. We are stacked at alot of other positions.

Even SS Ji- Bae. Putting up crazy numbers.....320/412/426 with 850 OPS while having no HRs. Has 28 doubles and 3 triples. Always on base...with 28 steals. Seems like we have a ton of guys in our system who can swipe bases(Tucker had 40 last year and led the league...Oliva 30+, Lolo Sanchez 30+ , Bae, Swaggerty with 22, and so on). Guys who can play solid D in Hayes, Tucker, Swag, etc. Hit for power in Craig, Martin, Jonah Davis, Jack Herman, Rodolfo Castro, and so on.

We've got a mix of everything finally instead of the usual swing for contact types who "will grow into more power". Today's game you need pure power bats. Theres a reason we are stranding so many yet one of the best lineups in league with BA. Because we are 25th in HRs. Then teams like Cubs, Brewers, Rays, etc all with avg in 20s(league wide) but filled with HR hitters and drive in runs. We need to add a few HR types (even if avg is .250 or lower) to go with the Reynolds and Newman's. For example Melky hit over .300 for most of season but how much did that help us? Moran .290 but king of singles. That doesn't cut it today. Polanco will help with that..can see him getting 30+. Have Bell. Marte hits enough. Need at least one more, and the one position thats open next year is Catcher. So Grandal would be the perfect sign.

Anyway Ill end this long post(DJ has been gone so somebody had to do it), with there is still ton to look forward to if youve paid attention to our system. Not just the top guys but ones like Mason Martin who came out of nowhere. And we had alot of pitchers do well. Cody Bolton emerged along with Aaron Shortridge having a breakout season. In his 2nd year. Will both start in AA next season. We had SPs from Greensboro light it up all season(the reason they are 74-54, since they dont have a great offense with a handful already getting called up to Bradenton(Brad Case, Bido, Economos, etc) and then the ones who took over for them doing great. We need to see that continue along with the ones lower....like Priester, Tahnaj Thomas, Braxton Ashcraft and whoever comes out of the rookie class this year(alot did well) along with the group in DSL Pirates 2. The whole damn team could have a bunch of players advance thru our system. Curious to see what they do over here next year.

As for Alexander Mojica , heres his numbers...

Alexander Mojica Minor Leagues Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Real impressive for 16 year old. I say try him at Catcher because he doesnt stand out at any position (being a DH in alot of games).

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Cervelli signs with ATL.

He deserves it. I hope they beat the Dodgers(Cervelli with 9th inning walk offs against any of their closers that arent named Vazquez, because Gavin Lux is their future and will help them get to exactly where....they have been)

Braves vs Astros

Two young lineups. Further proving we need to move prospects up quicker(if deserving). Which I feel we started to finally do this year. Cruz jumping to AA we wouldn't have seen in the past. And Martin, Castro, Mitchell, Sanchez are all in High A at 20 years old. On pace to be in AAA at 21 or 22. No more with the usual 24-25 like we did forever(until Hayes and Tucker) with our top prospects

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Most teams have been moving prospects at an accelerated pace for the past 5-10 years, depending on the franchise.

I've lamented forever at how far behind the times we were in that regard.

Is it really surprising were late to another party?

We need pitching and catching.

Period.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Another great night throughout the minors. Cruz with his first AA HR and another double. Indy winning 8-0 and Bradenton 9-3 with our top prospects alll doing well. Hayes and Swaggerty have really heated up this month.

Just get Sept here and call ups. I want to see Hayes get at least 15-20 starts at 3B. Curious to see how good his D is. And get him some experience at the plate like we did with Newman and Kramer last year. Along with Craig and Tucker.

We should have seen the last of the SRod, Chisenhall, (insert any 35 year old vet) type additions form here on out. For The big club and even Indy(who had Elmore and 35 year old Trayon Robinson all season for example). We have enough to stack each of the teams with top tier prospects to above avg.

AA should see the group from Bradenton called up in Swaggerty, Cal Mitchell, Castro, Mason Martin, etc. SPs like Aaron Shortridge, Max Kranick, and so on. So Altoona should be much better than they were this year. 65-66 while Bradenton is 69-59 for example(last year being the opposite when Hayes, Craig, Tucker , etc were in Altoona). So it has shown how our top guys do improve each season, with the results in the standings. Of course with their individual numbers as well but the way our system is set up right now there are 2 waves of top guys. Ones in Indy right now who are ready (4 or 5 guys) and then the group in Bradenton(5 or so as well) . Theyll prob slow things down with some of them so they all arent FAs at once. Which is prob what happened with Kramer, spending two full seasons in AAA and is now 26. .310 avg with 15 HRs and 35 doubles last year while only .250 avg with 10 HRs and 29 doubles this year. He got complacent...only so much you can do down there to remain at a high level all season.

They might have Hayes and Tucker repeat AAA for same reason. Not wanting to burn a year of Tucker when we have Newman and Frazier. And Giving Moran Another chance at breaking out before letting Hayes take over. Certainly wont just have him up and burn a year and have him platoon. Even tho that would be a good idea to ease him in if he needs it.

Last thing they should be worried about is who to re-sign 6 or 7 years from now. You have Bell and Marte playing at a high level with Reynolds and Newman. Polanco will be healthy and with this new ball should hit 30+ HRs(had 6 in 30 games this year with one shoulder). So its time to call up whoever is ready to play at a high level. And surround those guys. Even if it means coming off the bench or platoon. Gain experience now and get adjusted to big league pitchers. They either breakout like Newman and Reynolds did or get closer to reaching their potential.

We were off track back in 2013-15 for example. Great rotation but our top bats were still prospects. Polanco only playing half the year and was 0-4 with 2Ks in the WC game shutout in 2015. Bell came up in 2016 with Glasnow and Taillon. Imagine having this version of Bell at 1B during those years(instead of the Gaby Jones and Justin Morneau types) and an experienced Polanco in RF instead of The Travis Snider and Jose Tabata types. Those 2 added to Cutch, Marte, Pedro, Neil Walker and Russell Martin/Cervelli could have got it done.

Anyway like Importer mentioned...its about time they learned and started fast tracking some of these guys.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA

I think it's more important to find out if Gonzalez can play third base.:sarcasm:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ok Pirates can stop winning now. Dont mess up getting 5th-7th overall pick.

But it is nice to see Newman and Reynolds continue to have good season's. Newman now qualified and is 11th in the league in BA While Reynolds is 5th...as rookies. His 13 steals are a nice addition to our offense since Marte has been our only threat for years. Newman, Tucker, Hayes, Swaggerty all 20+ SB potential. Will be nice to have. Since we dont have a line up with alot of power and is filled with higher BA types( now have 5 guys who are qualified..in top 50 in avg) it will help to have multiple players who can swipe 2nd after getting on base. Cutting down on DPs, driving in more runs. More singles leading to runs.

We "should" lose the Philly series but then there's 4 games against the Rockies who are a mess and 3 against Marlins. Have a feeling we snapped out of our long slump and will get back to beating teams that are bad . Can see going 5-2 against them. Pitching has improved lately and our top 4 guys heating up again.

Currently at 6th pick...just dont mess this up and end up getting 10th-12th as usual.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
The smart thing to do is tank and pick 1st or 2nd. What type of record do you think gives them the 1st pick??

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Also why do we NEVER get those guys who are prodigy's who get in the bigs at 19 or 20 ( Heyward, Trout, ) Why do our guys take 4 and 5 years to get here?? Fix the f'n system

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Generational talent kind of transcends whatever system it’s in. The Pirates, like most other teams, haven’t landed one in recent times. It’s not what I’d use to knock the development system, which I think is fine. A bigger problem seems to be how slowly the Pirates have moved players through, big league coaching/management, and the prioritization of contract control above all.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bucs' Hayes headlines Players of the Week

Hayes playing his besr right before call ups.

Also, about generational talents... Since we dont finish 1st overall anymore to land 1 (and that's even if there is one available that year). But international signings is how teams get alot of those. And its usually the Yanks, Dodgers, etc landing them top prospects each year. Which allows them to make so many trades.

Acuna, Eloy Jimenez, Yordan Alvarez, Vlad JR, Luis Robert(#4th ranked prospect overall) , Wander Franco(1st ranked overal, and list goes on came from that route and all made the MLB at younger age.

So Im hoping with how good the DSL Pirates 2 team did this year(55-15) finishing best in league and getting a first round bye...will create some buzz and get some of the kids to choose Pitt for once. Hopefully they win the title. Speaking of that team...its loaded with potential talent. I usually dont pay attention to DSL league but what they did is on another level.

DSL Pirates2

Alexander Mojica(16) is someone to really look forward to. Dominated that league this year. Not just with avg like alot of the kids did on that team but enough power to hit 8 HRs and 40 XBH in those 70 games. Hes someone we can move up quickly since his bat is his best tool. Being a 3B/1B/DH on that team this year. Like I was talking about before tho it would be great if the Pirates tried him out at Catcher just to see if he can stick there. Its what Will Contreras did and that worked out great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->