OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Baseballin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Cueto would be a great target if he didn't play for a division rival...too much potential to blow up in our faces there.

Hamels isn't an option because Amaro is a ****ing nutjob who would ask for Glasnow, Taillon, and Bell for him.

I would expect Cincinnati to ask for those very players in some sort of combination for Cueto. He's a great pitcher but no way I'm giving a division rival that kind of firepower for a pitcher that probably wouldn't be re-signed anyways.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
2 out walk off blast haha. Loving the twins right now. Cole Train tonight. Hopefully he can mow em down and were just 4 back before midnight.

Hope your right. Samardzija usually gives the Buc's fits. Only saving grace is Cole is on the hill for us tonight.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Can we talk about how bad Polanco has looked this year? I was forced to listen to the White Sox broadcast last night and they mentioned he was anywhere from the #1-#3 prospect in baseball as recently as last year. While I think that might be a little high, he's still been very underwhelming.

.245/.307/.350 with only 3 home runs on the year. Where's the power?

Polanco and Walker are the only two guys in the starting line-up that aren't pulling their weight.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
2B Josh Harrison (R)
LF Starling Marte (R)
CF A. McCutchen (R)
3B Jung-Ho Kang (R)
1B Pedro Alvarez (L)
RF Gregory Polanco (L)
SS Jordy Mercer (R)
DH Corey Hart (R)
C Chris Stewart (R)

I don't get this lineup at all, Corey Hart is now getting in the lineup against a right handed pitcher.

And why is Walker getting benched over Hart against a righty? I know Walker has struggled, but hes a much better option against right handers then Hart is.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
2B Josh Harrison (R)
LF Starling Marte (R)
CF A. McCutchen (R)
3B Jung-Ho Kang (R)
1B Pedro Alvarez (L)
RF Gregory Polanco (L)
SS Jordy Mercer (R)
DH Corey Hart (R)
C Chris Stewart (R)

I don't get this lineup at all, Corey Hart is now getting in the lineup against a right handed pitcher.

And why is Walker getting benched over Hart against a righty? I know Walker has struggled, but hes a much better option against right handers then Hart is.

I think it has a lot to do with Hurdle/NH's player usage rotation (for lack of better term "The Golden State Experiment"). I have a feeling it calls for some rotation early and once you get into the grind of the season (June/July/August) it probably calls for some longer periods of rest (benching). Also, Mercer, Kang, and Harrison have been hot and Neil has not. Hurdle has shown that he's willing to bench a struggling player a little longer than most coaches to give them an extra day or two to devote to working out of it.

You also have to give Hart some run of playing time at some point. You can't just toss him in for one start every 2 1/2 weeks and then expect him to be game ready all the time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I'd guess it's both taking advantage of the DH spot to try and squeeze some consistent at-bats in for Hart, as well as just trying to get Walker some rest (and maybe he has bad career stats vs Sklhgs;rwjgnw;kbnkjbg;kjw;kbjv;krk, though that shouldn't really be an excuse).

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yeah, I'd guess it's both taking advantage of the DH spot to try and squeeze some consistent at-bats in for Hart, as well as just trying to get Walker some rest (and maybe he has bad career stats vs Sklhgs;rwjgnw;kbnkjbg;kjw;kbjv;krk, though that shouldn't really be an excuse).

I believe you missed a "m" in there

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think it has a lot to do with Hurdle/NH's player usage rotation (for lack of better term "The Golden State Experiment"). I have a feeling it calls for some rotation early and once you get into the grind of the season (June/July/August) it probably calls for some longer periods of rest (benching). Also, Mercer, Kang, and Harrison have been hot and Neil has not. Hurdle has shown that he's willing to bench a struggling player a little longer than most coaches to give them an extra day or two to devote to working out of it.

You also have to give Hart some run of playing time at some point. You can't just toss him in for one start every 2 1/2 weeks and then expect him to be game ready all the time.

Walker has been a platoon player lately, if your a platoon player you don't need extra rest, your going to get enough off days throughout the season sitting against lefty's.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I just don't see Polanco as an everyday player. He looks the part but is absolutely lost against lefties and his loooooong swing is so inconsistent. It's weird because he took walks and generally had strong splits all the way up through the minors iirc. His speed is a plus and he is decent enough vs righties to be a solid player but I just don't see the top 10 prospect in baseball anymore. I hope he figures it out obviously. I just am not as excited as I was a year ago.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Once again the lack of patience in this fanbase is evident. It is still too early to know what kind of player Polanco will eventually turn into.

He's younger than Polanco but look at Bryce Harper. Dude is just now the kind of of player his hype suggested he would become and this is his 4th full season in the majors. Figuring out major league pitching takes time, you can't always expect a top prospect to be a .750 ops player instantly. I think the fact that Polanco hasn't been as good against lefties as he was in the minors suggests that he isn't near his peak.

I really don't know why anybody is trying to forecast Polanco's career based on 2 half seasons. Even this year, something could click and he could end up having a great season. Give it time folks.

Take a look at these numbers:

124 g- 501 pa- 474 ab's- 48 r- 121 h- 23 d- 11 t- 5 hr- 47 rbi's- .255/.284/.382- .666 ops.

That's another Bucs' right fielder's rookie season. You may have heard of him. His name was Roberto Clemente. Thank god none of you were there back then to tell the Pirates he was a bum.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I agree that people need to be more patient about Polanco. Hopefully now that Cutch has fixed himself, Polanco will be able to get back in there against some lefties, even if he struggles. I am still fine with putting him down for a game when we face very good or elite lefties, but otherwise they should just roll with him and drop him in the order.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yes, NAO. Only Buccos fans are to quick to judge. Aka every sports team, every fan base, every sport. :laugh: I think the majority are in a wait and see situation w/ patience. The few end up being the biggest voice that speak for everyone.

As for Hart, they are obviously giving him an opportunity before they call it quits. Hurdle seems to be a guy who gives a chance to rise up to the occasion or fail. He definitely does not lose his **** and make changes out of nowhere. When MM was struggling, he just kept letting him sink or swim and now the guy is money in the 9th inning again. Hart needs at-bats to figure out if he's worth keeping or letting go.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
You've got a point Cole. It does happen with pretty much every fanbase.

Have no earthly idea why that review took so long. It took me 10 seconds to figure out Marte was out.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
All i'm saying regarding Polanco is he just looks lost. I'm not saying he can't become an AS caliber player.

And the Bryce Harper comparison is ridiculous. Harper was a consensus elite #1 pick who btw, never had an OPS season under .768 (last year). His rookie season was at 19 friggin years old and he OPS'd .817. Polanco was a DECENT, Dominican project who didn't even sign for big money. Nobody ever expected him to become a top 10 prospect in baseball. Him getting to where he is now is a bonus.

I don't like Polanco's swing at all. It's a long, classic upper cut style and because it's so long he's behind a lot of hittable baseballs and rolls over a bunch as well. I'm not overly worried about big power numbers because quite frankly it's apparent that the Pirates don't employ that line of thinking with their hitters (whether it's the MLB players, or all the way down through the low minors). I mean it would be nice for a guy Polanco's size to be able to generate 25-30 HR's a year, at a minimum, and that may still come, but right now i don't see it.

Again, we're all Pirates fans. We all want him and everyone else to succeed. All i'm doing is tempering my expectations some.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
All i'm saying regarding Polanco is he just looks lost. I'm not saying he can't become an AS caliber player.

And the Bryce Harper comparison is ridiculous. Harper was a consensus elite #1 pick who btw, never had an OPS season under .768 (last year). His rookie season was at 19 friggin years old and he OPS'd .817. Polanco was a DECENT, Dominican project who didn't even sign for big money. Nobody ever expected him to become a top 10 prospect in baseball. Him getting to where he is now is a bonus.

I don't like Polanco's swing at all. It's a long, classic upper cut style and because it's so long he's behind a lot of hittable baseballs and rolls over a bunch as well. I'm not overly worried about big power numbers because quite frankly it's apparent that the Pirates don't employ that line of thinking with their hitters (whether it's the MLB players, or all the way down through the low minors). I mean it would be nice for a guy Polanco's size to be able to generate 25-30 HR's a year, at a minimum, and that may still come, but right now i don't see it.

Again, we're all Pirates fans. We all want him and everyone else to succeed. All i'm doing is tempering my expectations some.

I wasn't really comparing him to Harper. I was just saying that Harper is just now reaching his potential in his 4th full season.

I really don't know why you think I was comparing him to Harper.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just realized... samardzija went from the Cubs to the White Sox. If you are going to relocate, that ain't too bad.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

I thought I remember the scout who signed Polanco saying he'd never find or sign another player as good as him.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Unfortunately for him he now has to play for the White Sox.

When I was younger and he was just graduating college, I couldn't believe he didn't go pro football. I just didn't understand it. Now that I take in the business aspect of each sport, what they do to your body, etc....

I saw he turned down a 5 year 80+ million dollar contract? Yeah baby. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad