Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Milwaukee+Brewers+v+Pittsburgh+Pirates+UOpaKpR2FxVl.jpg

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Wouldn't want AJ to have to be separated from his best bud if they moved Locke to the Pen.

Sadly that probably is a big part of it.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
ub007.jpg

jeff-locke.jpg

Anyone ever notice how Jeff Locke looks like Bob Kipper? Unfortunately he pitches like Kipper too.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Locke isn't going to be removed from the rotation until he strings 3 or 4 performances like last night in a row. He's been bad, but last night was easily his worst game of the season.

It's all because he's a lefty...if he were a righty he'd never have made it past AA. All we can hope for is that Clayton Richard dominates in Indy so we have an internal lefty to push Locke out...not that I'd expect miracles from Richard, but if he's healthy again he'd be a solid back of the rotation option...he just has to prove that he's healthy (4 starts in Indy this year).

I can't see Sampson getting the call without a couple injuries happening. Sadler is on the 40-man (and posting solid numbers) and Richard is a vet.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I HATE the whole "he's a lefty" old school thought process. You can pitch or you can't. Period. Jeff Locke is NOT a viable MLB option 75-80% of the times he starts. His stuff is below average on a good day and he doesn't have the control/command to offset his lack of dominant pitches.

I could give about 1/2 a **** if every pitcher in our rotation was a righty, so long as they are viable options for their roles. Cole is our ace it seems moving forward, Frankie a strong #2 (or #1 when he's really on fire) and AJ is pitching better than he ever has. Morton is the wild card and if he can stay healthy should be one of the best #4's in the game.

Now the bullpen is a different story. There is where you DO need multiple left handed options to match up in the late innings when need be (splits dictate). But i loathe the traditional mantra of the LH starter being some sort of added bonus....

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I agree 100%...but Hurdle is an old fashioned manager, so that's one of the negatives that comes along with him.

At least he's a thousand times better than Jimmy Anderson...how a guy can pitch 575 innings in the Majors with a 1.59 WHIP I'll never know.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, that could have went better. Hopefully the offense can get to Vogelson, because with the way he's been pitching and our inconsistency, this could be lights out already unless Cole is perfect the rest of the way and we get a bounce or two, or some instant offense with a 2-3 run HR.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I used to not mind Robbie Incmikowski, then he referred to finance as a "real job" rather than teaching. Go **** yourself, Root Sports.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cole starting to deal a little bit now, and is also getting some help from the umpire with close calls -- two things that tend to run in tandem, and he's kind of established himself as that type of pitcher this season, which is just great to see. In earlier seasons, he would basically dominate with similar stuff, but would not get a lot of calls, which coupled with a slightly lowered ability to miss bats, led to way less strikeouts.

Now the strikeouts are pouring in and he's at bonafide ace status.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cutch totally locked in but robbed twice by good/great plays and a pitcher's stadium. But good to see the offense overall be effective - 4 runs has to be enough for Cole when he's locked in like this, though he has technically been perfect tonight in that no runs.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yep, Cole's locked in right now. If he keeps it up let him go 100 pitches Hurdle...please.

Could be as much as a 6-0 lead (if not for crap D and a great plays by Giants OF)....

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Pirates catchers hitting .328 this year......gotta think that's near the top of the ML. Pretty awesome that we're getting that kind of production when we figured there would be a decent drop off from Martin (power drop but otherwise we're doing fine).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Before this inning I was going to say that Cole should be left in through 110 pitches or the end of the game, whichever was first, but not a good look so far. Two singles and then he clearly pitched around Posey... going to be hard to get out of this with anything better than a 1-run lead.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't think Cole was pitching around Posey with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

The last thing Cole wants to do in that situation is walk Posey, he was just missing his locations.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
That's probably right - pitching around isn't a good choice of words. More like, not directly challenging and trying to nibble corners and missing.

He got the big K when he needed it vs Belt. Now let's see if he can get a pop up or ground ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad