OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Baseballin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Cardinals actually lost.

More to the point, let's hope we keep it rolling against an old foe tomorrow. The White Sox are pretty down right now, so no reason not to head to Washington on a great note.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Great night for the Bucs, you get a win with Locke pitching and the Cards lose.

And please get rid of Hart, hes an automatic out, 19 K in 47 at bats.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Morneau signed for 2 years at 12.5 million total, crazy reasonable for his production. And while he didn't star in his month with the Bucs he gave them very deep professional at bats that were in serious contrast to any of the scrubs at 1b they had.

I will stand by my opinion that they should have re-signed him.

He's been battling concussions (again, poor guy) this season. So this season is looking like a lost one for him... just an FYI

penguins2946*

Completely hypothetical situation. Let's say that one of the good starting pitchers starts regressing from where they're at right now. Would it be a good idea for the Pirates to trade for Cueto to make a run this year if one of the 4 good starters slip? Depending on cost of course. I think Cueto's a free agent after this year too, so we wouldn't be locked into a super expensive long term deal.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Completely hypothetical situation. Let's say that one of the good starting pitchers starts regressing from where they're at right now. Would it be a good idea for the Pirates to trade for Cueto to make a run this year if one of the 4 good starters slip? Depending on cost of course. I think Cueto's a free agent after this year too, so we wouldn't be locked into a super expensive long term deal.

I'd rather not risk handing a good prospect or two to a division rival. Just my personal feelings.

penguins2946*

I'd rather not risk handing a good prospect or two to a division rival. Just my personal feelings.

Yeah that's a really good point, but could you imagine just rolling with Cueto, Cole and Liriano in a playoff series? That trio would be incredible.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yeah that's a really good point, but could you imagine just rolling with Cueto, Cole and Liriano in a playoff series? That trio would be incredible.

Oh definitely. That's a 3 man rotation that gives you the edge in a 4 game series.

I'd be hard pressed to go out and make a big deal with a division rival, like Cincy, for their ace. Last year the Cubs basically got Addison Russel and Billy McKinney, both Top 100 prospects for Samardzija. Cueto is probably going to be worth slightly more and I don't want to give Cincy 2 Top 100 guys.

If they go in the division to grab a starter, I'd like for them to try to pry Mike Fiers out of Milwaukee. Good K guy, slight control problems, pretty good movement and stuff for a 3/4 guy. I think Uncle Ray could do a good job ironing out his kinks and getting him to be a more effective pitcher. Not to mention the added benefit of not having some good catchers call his games and work with him.

He may command a decent return, but not in the ace range and I wouldn't worry about dumping a prospect to the Brewers, as I think they're a lot further away than a team like Cincy.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
If the Pirates are going to push for a legit pitching upgrade, they need to be careful to see what their chances are at the division. Don't want to pay up for a #2 or something and then end up out after the WC game and not have the player ever even step on the field in the playoffs.

Not saying they shouldn't go after one, even if they are at high risk of being in the WC game, but I would be much more wary of it if that looks like the most likely situation which seems pretty likely.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If the Pirates are going to push for a legit pitching upgrade, they need to be careful to see what their chances are at the division. Don't want to pay up for a #2 or something and then end up out after the WC game and not have the player ever even step on the field in the playoffs.

Not saying they shouldn't go after one, even if they are at high risk of being in the WC game, but I would be much more wary of it if that looks like the most likely situation which seems pretty likely.

That's another reason I like Fiers as a target. He may be 30, but he's under team control, through arbitration, until 2020.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
That's another reason I like Fiers as a target. He may be 30, but he's under team control, through arbitration, until 2020.

Yup makes sense in that way at least.

Paying up a couple good prospects for Cueto then having Cole lose to Bumgarner in the WC game and Cueto walking would be extremely painful. But given the last 5 years, that feels more like a Pens move than a Buccos move I think so I think it's pretty unlikely.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yes, the WC question mark is an interesting point to consider. It seems like almost a foregone conclusion that we will be one of the WC teams, although acquiring an elite pitcher at the trade deadline would still give us the chance to make an extended run during the season and possibly catch up. I wouldn't rule out the division in terms of the goal at the deadline if we have gotten to within 2-3 games of the Cards by then, but that's a big if.

Cueto would definitely be an interesting target, although I agree that it wouldn't be worth sending good prospects to a division rival and you have to imagine he'll be one of the best available players. I don't know why the Brewers would look to deal Fiers, and I'm not really that high on him, so I wouldn't spend any good assets on him.

One potential rotation boost in August is definitely Taillon. It won't exactly be ideal in terms of the pressure of a playoff race, and it also depends on injuries, etc., but Cole did something similar, and replacing the #5 starter is a lot less pressure if 1-4 are still performing then how they are now.

That boost would be free, and simultaneously allows us to see what we might have as part of a 2016 rotation. I can't imagine Taillon will need that long in AAA, and the upside with him is a lot more than looking for an average #4/5 type to replace Locke.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Cueto would be a great target if he didn't play for a division rival...too much potential to blow up in our faces there.

Hamels isn't an option because Amaro is a ****ing nutjob who would ask for Glasnow, Taillon, and Bell for him.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Amero is that wack job in your fantasy league that wants to give you every single bench player he has, and one "meh" starter for your superstar (and a throw in "that you'd be cutting anyways")... then be insulted that you only want to give him a one for one deal for his 4th OF.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Via Rotoworld-

Pirates prospect 2B/SS Alen Hanson has been placed on the 7-day disabled list at Triple-A Indianapolis with a fractured left pinkie.
The roster move is retroactive to June 16. Hanson, 22, was named Player of the Month in the International League for May thanks to a .362/.403/.595 batting line, 16 extra-base hits (four home runs), 18 RBI and seven steals in 28 games. Overall, the switch-hitting middle infielder has quietly put together a strong season at Indianapolis, batting .285/.329/.426 with four home runs, eight doubles, eight triples, 36 runs scored and 17 stolen bases in 62 games. While it’s unclear how long Hanson will be sidelined, it shouldn’t ruin his chances of reaching the major leagues later this season.

and

Pirates pitching prospect Tyler Glasnow (ankle) is expected to make a rehab start Friday with Low-A West Virginia.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, i've been reading about Hanson starting to slow offensively and that finger injury would explain why. He's been strong and it's a shame that he's going down, but at the same time hopefully it's something he can come back from in a 4-6 weeks. Would be a nice asset to have from Sept 1 onward.....

And of course very good to hear that on Glasnow. He's missed some decent time lately. Had hopes of him going to AAA late in the year, but he'll probably just finish out the year in Altoona and then hopefully begin next season in Indy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Mauer just tied the game in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs....1-1 Cheaters-Twinnies. Would love to see us go into tonight's game with a chance to pick up another full game on the red cheaters.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Joe mauer i love you

I'm going to ask for context... and leave this picture here.

4SsMrmF5.jpg

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Win tonight brings them to 4 games back, seems MILES better than 6 games.

Even if the Pirates don't catch the Cards and end up having to play the WC game, it would be pretty cool to host the first 3 WC games.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
being inside 4 is great, 6 not horrible. it was when it looked like it was going to be 10+ when i was really worried. still have 13 games with the cards left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad