OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Baseballin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I wasn't really comparing him to Harper. I was just saying that Harper is just now reaching his potential in his 4th full season.

I really don't know why you think I was comparing him to Harper.

But Harper was stretching long bunches of elite talent in his rookie year, at 19. His only real down year was last season. Polanco had a full wealth of minor league ball and was 22 when called up. He was real good his first few weeks and then people got scouting reports on him and adjusted. I have not seen him re-adjust back to the MLB level pitching yet. In fact he might have even regressed a bit. But that's splitting hairs.

His problem right now, is the swing is just not conducive to make CONSISTENT hard contact. He's got so much upper body movement going on, and then the swing itself is long and generally wide and upper cut. And because he's a long athlete, it only magnifies the holes. That's just what i see. But hell, i was wrong on Melancon back in April due to velocity loss and that's gotten back to normal. It's apples to oranges, but as a fan, we know less than the professionals. I trust the Pirates to get GP to a better place.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
But Harper was stretching long bunches of elite talent in his rookie year, at 19. His only real down year was last season. Polanco had a full wealth of minor league ball and was 22 when called up. He was real good his first few weeks and then people got scouting reports on him and adjusted. I have not seen him re-adjust back to the MLB level pitching yet. In fact he might have even regressed a bit. But that's splitting hairs.

His problem right now, is the swing is just not conducive to make CONSISTENT hard contact. He's got so much upper body movement going on, and then the swing itself is long and generally wide and upper cut. And because he's a long athlete, it only magnifies the holes. That's just what i see. But hell, i was wrong on Melancon back in April due to velocity loss and that's gotten back to normal. It's apples to oranges, but as a fan, we know less than the professionals. I trust the Pirates to get GP to a better place.

Yeah the bolded is my overall feeling. I agree that Polanco has some holes in his game and I think myself he is unpolished as a pro ball player. That being said, I have faith in the organization to push him in the right direction.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Kang knocks in Marte on a weak grounder, 1-0 Bucs.

The best part was how hard Kang busted his ass down the line to beat it out. I love everything about the way he plays the game.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Mercer just totally whiffed on a tag.

He's so horrible. This might cost the Bucs a run.

Cole works out of it although he had to throw many extra pitches because Mercer is an idiot.

Can't hit
Can't field.
He's useless, I'd rather have Barmes back. At least Clint could field.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
It's not just Mercer. He is the worst of the bunch though. This team really has no idea how to properly sweep tag a runner going into either 2nd or 3rd. You have Mercer missing the tag all together, Walker tagging too high, or Harrison trying to make the cover of SI with his whirlwind move. Another basic rule of applying a tag, keep the tag on the runner until he or someone else call TO. How many times have they missed getting the out after the runner slid off the bag? Kang is the only one doing it correctly and look at his results. Twice he got runners out at third because he kept the tag on in the past week.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
White Sox have made some really boneheaded plays this game. Samal jazeera trying to field that come backer when he should have let the 2nd baseman turn an easy double play. Led directly to a run...That miscue in the outfield as well.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
When you throw a meatball 3-2 you had better damn well expect it to get launched Cole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad