OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Bang the Kong | Now Hiring: Closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
So which young gun do they tag tomorrow for the McCutchen beaning? Bryant or Soler?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That one hurts.

Melancon...you gotta think a trip to the DL is coming up. He's not effective whatsoever right now. Guys don't just lose velocity like that for no reason.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Its not just Melancon that's a problem either.

Watson is the only guy in the bullpen i feel good about, and even Watson hasn't been that great to start the season.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
One last post.....God damnit i'm ****ing irritated over that **** show ending. Great win in the bank with a great story for a guy who's been **** on since day 1 (Kang) and the soft tossing Melancon gives up 3 runs to blow it up our *****.

W/E. We're almost a month in and this team is nowhere near championship contending status. B/P is a joke and quite frankly the defense has been flat out poor lately although i'm less worried about that long term.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I don't think a trip to the DL will fix whats wrong with him. He is just finally being exposed for being in the wrong role. Problem is, who replaces him?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Melancon's velocity had nothing to do with tonight. He gave up 1 hard hit ball which came off of a curveball. His cutter wasn't squared up a single time in that outing. His velocity is a concern but it was not an issue in this particular case.

Way too many mistakes in the field as well.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think a trip to the DL will fix whats wrong with him. He is just finally being exposed for being in the wrong role. Problem is, who replaces him?

Uh...yes, a considerable loss of speed is more than "being exposed".

Being exposed would be if he was getting knocked around without losing speed or movement.

For the record I do think he's best suited for a set-up role...but Watson isn't inspiring much faith early on, either.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Its not just Melancon that's a problem either.

Watson is the only guy in the bullpen i feel good about, and even Watson hasn't been that great to start the season.

Watson isn't the same either. His fast ball is flat and centered over the middle of the plate. Thats twice already this season he got burned for that mistake. His velo looks to be down a bit as well. Not as bad as Melancon's though.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Uh...yes, a considerable loss of speed is more than "being exposed".

Being exposed would be if he was getting knocked around without losing speed or movement.

For the record I do think he's best suited for a set-up role...but Watson isn't inspiring much faith early on, either.

He was exposed late last season as well. So that DL trip must be long overdue.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hughes also had a mini meltdown tonight.

While I'm far more comfortable with him on the mound than I used to be, Hughes shouldn't be pitching in the 8th or 9th. He'd be the closer with the worst stuff in history and we have two genuinely great set-up men as it is.

Ah, bullpens...the most fickle thing in sports.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, I wasn't nominating Hughes for closer.

Just stating how good he has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad