OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Apollo, you wanna to ring the Bell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Win this and get one of the 7-8 ugly losses this year(not the streak but when leading after 6)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Season saved ...so far. Tho I wont lie...was tempted to root for a 20 game losing streak to see if Hurdle would be on the hot seat. Then realized his job is safe until he decides to leave so we might as well win .

Lets hope this come back leads to good things. Winning a game we shouldnt have...

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Much needed win, which hopefully flips the script a little bit. One pretty encouraging sign is that both Tucker and Reynolds are usually hitting the ball hard, as is Bell obviously. We'll need Marte and Polanco to get there, and I distinctly remember looking and seeing that Frazier's exit velocity has been abysmal, although that isn't quite his game. But consistently hard hit balls up and down the lineup is one way to kind of have a shot at making up for the lack of power.

We need a little run here against these AL West teams. Take the second of two tomorrow/today (I'm not sure what time it is – I'm in a terminal in Madrid and haven't slept in 36 hours), and then do some more damage on the homestand. We shouldn't face any particularly great pitchers, and the one thing that has become pretty consistent is our old friend RISP. We're getting on base, and maybe we just need a little luck and a win like tonight's to collect a couple more in a row.

I think Reynolds is going to make it very difficult to send him back down. If we do ever manage to have the original three starters healthy at one time, it might be difficult to find him regular at bats, but it's not like those three wouldn't benefit from regular rest, and more importantly, an offense-starved team cannot send a guy like that back. Won't have to make a decision for at least a few more weeks, but I think he might successfully force the issue and relegate Melky to super-pinch hitter. However, you also have to wonder about service time manipulation, especially if all the outfielders are healthy for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Crucial hit from Polanco there, now let's hope Bell can really bring out the dagger.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Good bounce back series.

Going 2-3 on the road against LA and Texas really isn't to bad.

The thing i liked about today's game is the Pirates were able to add on runs late in the game, we have seen many games this year when the Pirates get a few runs early then aren't able to add on.

My only complaint right now is Frazier, if Hurdle is going to keep Frazier in the lineup he needs to at least drop him in the order.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It would be really nice to see the offense keep showing up and go 4-1 on this homestand, which would more or less immediately make up for the losing streak. It's good to see that we have the capability to keep adding runs, especially in a hitter's park/AL lineup, etc. I think that's in no small part due to Tucker and especially Reynolds right now. He should cool down a little bit, but he's similar to Bell in that his production has been excellent since well into last season. I continue to think he might force the issue of a roster spot and playing time, although I also think we might manipulate his service time a little bit, since Shuck and Cabrera are serviceable bench options with everyone healthy.

Frazier definitely needs to pick it up a bit at the plate, although I've been pretty impressed with his ability to pick up the position. I think the hitting may come, but he might be one dimensional. He'd be a very useful player if the hit tool returns and he has at least a bit of power, but it's been a rough first month for him.

The lineup tomorrow will be interesting. I could see Tucker and Reynolds moving up in the order.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If the Pirates are going to start trusting their youth, Will Craig is making a very good case for a call-up to see if he can inject some power into the lineup. If Bell can keep up his surge and Craig can show something in The Show, I'm all for the DH coming to the NL.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If the Pirates are going to start trusting their youth, Will Craig is making a very good case for a call-up to see if he can inject some power into the lineup. If Bell can keep up his surge and Craig can show something in The Show, I'm all for the DH coming to the NL.

I'm for anything that brings more offense. personally, I wish they would squeeze the pitcher a tad more. Too many pitchers nibble the entire game and leads to long at bats and longer games.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don't see Craig having much of a future with the Pirates.

They don't have anywhere to play him.

Pirates had most of their outfield injured this year and still didn't consider moving Bell, i think their sold on Bell as their first baseman.

Speaking of Bell i sure hope their are some contract extensions being discussed.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Glasnow shaping up to be the best pitcher in baseball very soon......just like was for the majority of his minors career.

I may never get over that trade. 1 for 1 it was awful. And that’s not hindsight if you read back through on the day of the trade.

Disgusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad