Salary Cap: Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, Bright copper kettles, Phil Kessel's Mittens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

This doesn't sound so good...
My plan? Early retirement? Or, just, which restaurants to hit first?

I'm assume he means his plan in terms of moving and whatnot. Does he move full time? Keep a place in Toronto? Buy right away? Rent first? Live in Mario's Basement?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Phil's plan is already in motion.
He's gonna work out more than he usually does(hitting up Gary Roberts).

He should fly over to NS and help out Sid with his new Hockey School in August as well since Phil had to cancel his Toronto one. The lads can get to know each other and work the puck around a little bit.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Manny Malhotra is 60% for his career

And he's absolutely awful. So therein lies my point.

It's situational and it's insane how big people are on it. Ron Francis was great at faceoffs and he said he didn't care if he won or lost faceoffs in the neutral zone. Why? Because you are almost always going to get possession again before you can allow a goal, so throw out half the draws players take right there.

Then you have the O and D zones where the stat actually does have merit, but you're still dealing with comparing player X at 49% and player Y at 55%......over the course of 82 games! Plus you have the reasoning above which doesn't hold as much weight in your own zone or the other team's, but it's still a factor. I'd love to know how many times the offensive team wins a draw and it results in either a blocked shot or a dump down the boards. I bet it's at least 80% if not 90%.

It's a stat people obsess over that has too many other variable to worry too much about, unless you have a guy winning at a 30% clip or something. Honestly if a guy is at least at 45% I really don't care. Slightly less than that is something the player needs to work on, but the worry ends there.

Thank you, UB, for bringing rationalization and logic to this discussion. It's much appreciated.

That's a 21 man roster. Full rosters are 23. It's unlikely the Pens start the season with anything less than 22, likely 23. So your cap space should be closer to like, nothing.

We just went through all kinds of shenanigans this season because of the cap. We, of all teams, can never assume reasonably good health on the roster (even with Kessel).

So we better damn send a couple of more contracts out of town before the season begins. I don't want to be the laughingstock of the league again.

If Sutter can bring back something of value, sure. But no NHL team is going to give away a guy who can score 20 goals in this league.

Nobody is talking about giving Sutter away. Trading him for draft picks that we have in short supply still is not giving him away. Sending him in a hockey trade obviously isn't giving him away, either. Trading his contract to create more cap space isn't giving him away either.

There are plenty of motivating factors to ship Sutter.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
that scuderi story was pretty epic. real liked martin, but paying a guy like him that much money to help his transition from his 30s to 40s is utter madness.

Honestly... out of all of the older players on our team or those in FA... he's the first player I'd give that to and one I'd have the least amount of worry about still being an effective player at the end of the contract.

His game isn't a physical one. It's based on smart positioning and stick work. And he's a strong skater. So while he might slow down (see Dan Boyle), he still likely has 3 years before that's really even a concern.

He has the ability to play as a top pairing D for the next 2 years at least. His 3rd and 4th year he might slow down a tad, but he'll still likely be a very good 2nd pairing D. Honestly, if we could have dumped Scuds (or bought him out), I'd have ZERO issues giving Martin the same contract he just signed. And this is coming from someone who hates giving older players contracts with term (see my adversion to getting Marleau). Also a lack of speed from a D with smart positioning is less of an issue than it is with a forward. I mean Gill had a career that spanned how long? And he couldn't skate for ****. Martin's contract will not be an issue - even 4 years from now.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Don't read too much into it. He spent what... 6/7 years in Toronto, and was just traded. Now needs to deal with packing, finding a place, moving, and being "the new guy". Talk about having a massive wrench tossed into whatever summer plans he may of had.

Exactly this. It's a life changing event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad