Signing(s): Raiders hire Dave Ziegler as GM & Josh McDaniels as head coach

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That was his first mistake when he was a head coach in Denver. He tried to be another Belicheck and the team shut him out.

This is another shot and making his own name.
That's understating it. It's not like he was just prickly in demeanor, he went on a purge. He routinely ran out any incumbent he could on staff or the field.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Which is odd since he was developed before McDaniels got to him.

Probably shouldn't have chosen two of them then.
Tom took a huge leap in his play with McDaniels.

He definitely had a few bad draft picks. Not sure how much influence he had in making those picks though. Either way he has had way more success with his QBs than not.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tom took a huge leap in his play with McDaniels.
He was a Pro Bowler before McDaniels grabbed on to his coat tails.

He definitely had a few bad draft picks. Not sure how much influence he had in making those picks though. Either way he has had way more success with his QBs than not.
He got the management staff fired forthwith and had total control of personnel both years with the Broncos. He ran through a string of QBs his choosing here: Orton, Simms, Brandstater, Quinn, Tebow in addition to taking a run at one year wonder Cassel.

Tom Brady's success went to McDaniels head.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

He got the management staff fired forthwith and had total control of personnel both years with the Broncos. He ran through a string of QBs his choosing here: Orton, Simms, Brandstater, Quinn, Tebow in addition to taking a run at one year wonder Cassel.

I know you didn't just use Pro Bowls as a metric of greatness...

Tom Brady before McDaniels was a 3,500 yd 25 TD 15 INT per year quarterback

Tom Brady with McDaniels jumps to a 4,500 yd, 35 TD, single digit INT quarterback

Reactions: Voight and DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Josh McDaniels: “Hold my Capri Sun!”
Your team just hired a horrible OC who only got to where he is because of his Dad and you're laughing at the Raiders. BTW, your was the Vikings assistant for like 15 years and his mentor just got fired. Real good hires there lol.

Reactions: Voight

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Your team just hired a horrible OC who only got to where he is because of his Dad and you're laughing at the Raiders. BTW, your was the Vikings assistant for like 15 years and his mentor just got fired. Real good hires there lol.
Yep. The Raiders did something much stupider. Whatever happens with the Broncos I can have a laugh at the Raiders ineptitude.

Nepotism is on the table here too. McDaniels hired his little brother off a high school staff to be QB coach.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
That is poor comparable since in McDaniels case he identified and told multiple people who were going to Indy and had them sign on in jobs for him only to f*** them over in process and f*** over the incoming coach who inherited people he didn't hire, etc
He backed out because he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Ballard on how they would run things and realized he couldn't work with him.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

No one is saying he made Brady, but to not acknowledge his input is silly. Brady has said as much.

Those QBs never panned out anywhere, so while they were bad choices, it doesn't really have anything to do with my point about him developing QBs. Those guys could never play.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He backed out because he wasn't seeing eye to eye with Ballard on how they would run things and realized he couldn't work with him.
I thought the uncertainty with Luck played a role as well. I believe that was the same off-season he retired right before the season started.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I know you didn't just use Pro Bowls as a metric of greatness...

Tom Brady before McDaniels was a 3,500 yd 25 TD 15 INT per year quarterback

Tom Brady with McDaniels jumps to a 4,500 yd, 35 TD, single digit INT quarterback
Which is when the league started favoring passing rules too.

The limited sample size of McD being away from Hoodie he's made the offenses demonstrably worse. He shaved a full touchdown a game off the Broncos and in Saint Louis they had the 2nd worst O in the league.

That appeal to authority went around plenty when he was in Denver too. Maybe Brady is glad handling him, maybe Josh has Norv Turner's disease, maybe 16th time will be the charm hiring off the Pats coaching staff, but whatever he may or may not have done for Brady hasn't translated outside of Foxborough. As it didn't for Weiss either.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Yep. The Raiders did something much stupider. Whatever happens with the Broncos I can have a laugh at the Raiders ineptitude.

Nepotism is on the table here too. McDaniels hired his little brother off a high school staff to be QB coach.
Much stupider? Judging people based on how other people did their job is about as stupid as it gets.

As for laughing at the Raiders, the Broncos have lost the last 7 meetings between them so we're doing plenty of laughing at you.

Btw, you come across as McDaniels bitter ex girlfriend.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
No one is saying he made Brady, but to not acknowledge his input is silly. Brady has said as much.

Those QBs never panned out anywhere, so while they were bad choices, it doesn't really have anything to do with my point about him developing QBs. Those guys could never play.
They were all his choices. So good luck with that LV.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Much stupider? Judging people based on how other people did their job is about as stupid as it gets.
Which you did in you prior post.

And are you telling me as a Raider Fan you didn't enjoy the result of yesterday's game? Because I certainly did.

As for laughing at the Raiders, the Broncos have lost the last 7 meetings between them so we're doing plenty of laughing at you.
How's that Super Bowl drought going?

Btw, you come across as McDaniels bitter ex girlfriend.
Oh I always hated him.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He had a GM in Denver and will have one in LV. So either way I'm not going to blame him for every pick that doesn't work out.
Briefly, one of the complaints about Shanahan was he had too much control and after Joe Ellis got him fired Jim Goodman got personnel control after leading some good drafts. Ellis hired McDaniels without Goodman in the room for any of the interviews and they couldn't work together so Ellis sided with his hire and fired Goodman and his sons decimating the management end. McDaniels ran personnel from that point with Brian Xanders as nominal GM. McDaniels made all the decisions.

McDaniels brought Zeigler in to the Broncos and they were screwing the pooch together then so it's not a team up with a great track record.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Orton is completely on McDaniels. He ran Cutler out of town and had to settle for Orton because he's a dumbass. All this in an attempt get Matt Cassell!

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why did he take this job and not Colts job before?

McDaniels didn't like what the GM was telling him about bringing in staff and the logistics of the football team.

I don't like the hire but I'm glad we didn't keep our interim coach and we have a pretty good team already in place. I still hate him though. He will have to give me a reason not to.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
McDaniels didn't like what the GM was telling him about bringing in staff and the logistics of the football team.

I don't like the hire but I'm glad we didn't keep our interim coach and we have a pretty good team already in place. I still hate him though. He will have to give me a reason not to.
It’s been 3 years since Luck retired out of the blue. Cause Brissett was acquired to bridge that year then rivers then Wentz.

had he kept the Indy job, would be out of the top level WB he expected when he arrived.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It’s been 3 years since Luck retired out of the blue. Cause Brissett was acquired to bridge that year then rivers then Wentz.

had he kept the Indy job, would be out of the top level WB he expected when he arrived.

Yeah, and remember that in 2017 while Luck was sidelined, Irsay kept lying to the fans about Luck's shoulder and his potential to return. It's not exactly like that was some clear situation that was destined to work out well. The QB had just missed the entire season.

Not only that, but has anyone here ever planned to leave their job for another one only at the last minute to feel like you don't like what you're hearing? Again, I don't like the hire, but I'm not going to judge him over what happened with the Colts.

Reactions: Voight and DaaaaB's

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
The reason we Bronco fans hate McDaniels so much isn't just the terrible coaching nor the incredibly horrible judgment in trading a 1st round pick to get a 2nd round pick nor the Cutler fiasco or the Tebow pick.

Rather, it is the stain he brought to the franchise by cheating --- illegally taping a 49ers practice with the very same video guy who was involved in Spygate in New England. After that, there no no option other than running him out of town.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The reason we Bronco fans hate McDaniels so much isn't just the terrible coaching nor the incredibly horrible judgment in trading a 1st round pick to get a 2nd round pick nor the Cutler fiasco or the Tebow pick.

Rather, it is the stain he brought to the franchise by cheating --- illegally taping a 49ers practice with the very same video guy who was involved in Spygate in New England. After that, there no no option other than running him out of town.

What do you mean brought... Denver was already stained.

Or are we forgetting that they got caught breaking cap rules in the Elway Superbowl years. Costing them picks and $2m in fines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad