Radko Gudas

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost's points and possession numbers crashed like plane with AMac.

MacDonald was still awful.

Ghost did look better apart from A-Mac. I also think he was hitting the wall later in the season, which coincided with playing with AMac. He has to adapt to the grind of the longer NHL season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost's possession numbers were worse when he played with MDZ than they were with MacDonald. And much worse when he played with Manning.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ghost's possession numbers were worse when he played with MDZ than they were with MacDonald. And much worse when he played with Manning.

I don't have time right now, but I'm pretty sure I saw a chart that said the opposite. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Interesting, did Ghost really play with Manning that much though? I honestly don't really remember it.

What about Gudas and MDV?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Amazing he did as well as he did, dragging those two dead weights around for over 500 mins

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
All the information is readily available

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=2015&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

Ghost with MacDonald: 49 CF%, 58.6 GF%, 59.5% OZ starts
-interestingly MacDonald's CF was actually higher at 49.4% without Ghost despite the fact his OZ starts dropped to 25.6%

Ghost with Manning: 46.6 CF%, 66.7 GF%, 57.6% OZS

Ghost with MDZ: 48.2 CF%, 40 GF%, 55.9% OZS

And how did the team do during these stretches when each was paired? There's no context to that. Ghost and AMac together performed 7% worse score adjusted in terms of Corsi than the rest of the team. Ghost and MDZ performed 2% better -- yes, with a lower CF%. The stretch in which AMac was paired with Ghost vs MDZ and Manning was when the team was one of the best possession teams in hockey. Those numbers are completely meaningless without context.

This is incredibly deceiving. Do you compare Kris Russell's CF% on the Stars to the Flames and say since the trade he was better than Giordano? Two seperate teams; two separate contexts. One could argue the Flyers were 2 seperate teams this year. Quite easily actually. If AMac was on the team the first 60% of the year, his CF% would be far far lower.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Amazing he did as well as he did, dragging those two dead weights around for over 500 mins

Ghost was an elite point producer, but he was just an OK possession defenseman last season. You can call Manning and MacDonald dead weights but the fact is they (and MDZ) had better CF% while getting harder minutes away from Ghost.

His best numbers by far came with Medvedev but I don't recall too much angst here when Hak ended that experiment because that pairing always looked like a defensive disaster was about to happen.

Last edited:

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Erik Gudbranson signing is awful news for a long term decent contract for Gudas. 3.5mil is a silly deal the panthers gave. I wonder what effect it has on resigning Gudas he had a better year and career than him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It was a one year deal. The contract value is always higher when there isn't multiple years on it.

No one wants a one year deal unless you make it worth their while.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Gudbranson's deal won't affect Gudas. He obviously loved playing here and will want to take whatever keeps him on the team. As long as Hexy offers him something fair, he'll take it. Gudas strikes me as someone who is in it to win, not to make money. He knows what we're building here. I'm sure we'll all be smitten with the deal he gets. Under Hextall, that's been the way it goes

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I believe Hextall did say recently he wanted to sign him long-term

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Erik Gudbranson signing is awful news for a long term decent contract for Gudas. 3.5mil is a silly deal the panthers gave. I wonder what effect it has on resigning Gudas he had a better year and career than him.
Playing wise, they're comparable, but contract wise, they are not. Gudbranson was a recent 3rd overall pick. You're going to get paid for that, unless you're a Yakupov level bust.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It'll be 2-3 years.

And as far as taking money over winning, Gudas is only going to be 26, he's certainly going for the money. Maybe in 6 or 7 years you start thinking about leaving money on the table for a better shot at winning.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
It'll be 2-3 years.

And as far as taking money over winning, Gudas is only going to be 26, he's certainly going for the money. Maybe in 6 or 7 years you start thinking about leaving money on the table for a better shot at winning.
I think Gudas would definitely take years over money. I think long term security will probably be more important to him than higher salary. He was just recently a throw in from a team trying to make the playoffs, then was a healthy scratch to start the season on a team with one of the worst defenses in the league. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with winning though.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think Gudas would definitely take years over money. I think long term security will probably be more important to him than higher salary. He was just recently a throw in from a team trying to make the playoffs, then was a healthy scratch to start the season on a team with one of the worst defenses in the league. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with winning though.
Having Jake and Neuvy on the team gave him a niche for comfort. Jake said when the Flyers got him, that Radko was going to be a player for the Flyers. Having Voracek and Gudas on the team also had an impact on Neuverth. These three may be here for a while.
Radko getting 3@$2.5-3M makes sense. The NHL doesn't do option years but Hexy can let the Gudas camp know that additional years will be out there for him if he plays well. Being wanted in a place where you're comfortable matters.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I'm thinking 2.75-3.25 on a 2-4 year deal, and the number drops to the lower side as the years go up to the higher side of that range, obviously.

So I'd be pretty happy with a 2 year deal at 3.25, a 3 year deal at 3.0 or a 4 year deal at 2.75.

Something along those lines.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm thinking 2.75-3.25 on a 2-4 year deal, and the number drops to the lower side as the years go up to the higher side of that range, obviously.

So I'd be pretty happy with a 2 year deal at 3.25, a 3 year deal at 3.0 or a 4 year deal at 2.75.

Something along those lines.

As Curu will tell you, buying more years means more UFA years so it actually could be cheaper if a shorter deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad