Radko Gudas hit on Vesey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Turning quickly isn't against the rules. Hitting someone in their numbers and into the boards is against the rules.

Gudas always does this sort of thing. Really wish the refs let him and McIlrath go.

You are ignoring the text of the rules in which turning quickly – ie, putting oneself in a vulnerable position – mitigates the illegality of hitting someone in the numbers. Thus, Kerry Fraser is quoted multiple times in this thread.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Welcome to the NHL kid.

Don't turn your back to a guy coming to hit you. Be a man and take the hit.

Sweet Lou

May 24, 2015
Gudas had Vesey lined up for a clean hit until the last possible moment. Gudas got his major penalty and Vesey isn't injured. Let it go everyone.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't give the NFL credit for much when it comes to rules, but they did make head hits on QBs black and white, no room for debate. The NHL needs to do the same and get rid of the language that allows for this discussion.

"My views aren't reflected in the realities of this sport. The league needs to change to satisfy my wants."

The "language that allows for this discussion" is not some poorly written oversight. It's by design to allow for the ambiguity of the situation and to keep player safety rules from changing the game.

A. A player leaving it too late to cutback and getting hit by an already committed player is nothing like the inherent vulnerability of a QB standing in the pocket. What your advocating for would be more like a rule that if the QB sees the rush coming he can spin his back to them and become ineligible to be hit and the rush must do everything possible to avoid the collision, throwing themselves out of the play and allowing the QB to complete the pass.

B. The last thing the league needs is more americanization of it's rules. Next thing we know we'll have players trying to draw the charge defensively and deliberately losing control of the puck and shooting it over the glass when they feel contact to draw a penalty.

Last edited:

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I'm a fan of neither team but no doubt Vesey turned at the last second. Gudas had no time to react, he was already lined up to make the hit.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

These turn at the last second hits are so frustrating. Gudas established the direction of his skating. Had Vesey not tried to turn, the hit wouldn't have been nearly this severe.

What's next, players are going to start ducking before hits and HFBoards is going to be up in arms because people are getting cut with skates?

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Nobody is afraid of McIlrath. Hell, Voracek wrestled him to the ground with relative ease. Simmonds beat him in the "retribution fight" and he was giving up a few inches and like 50 lbs (Simmonds getting a knick above his eye does not change that). Go to hockeyfights.com and watch it if your memory is fuzzy.

I'm actually terrified to even mention his name. From now on D.M will be known as "he who must not be named". The fear he causes is second to none. Absolute destroyer.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I love all the "Typical Gudas" posts. As if he has some extensive suspension history.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The last thing we need is players turning their back to opponents to make themselves exempt from being hit. It's dangerous.

That's why we have a middle ground. I even said that Vesey put himself in a bad spot but I also think Gudas did follow through even though contact was pretty unavoidable at that point. At that speed the penalty was fine, in my opinion. No more than that.

I just think it is a bad idea to start interpreting that rule as "if he turns his back late, he is fair game."

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Vesey can't do that. He saw Gudas was coming. Gudas did nothing wrong. It didn't look like he intended to hit him in the back, but how do you avoid it if Vesey just turns his back at the last moment? It's like jumping in front of a car.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
That's why we have a middle ground. I even said that Vesey put himself in a bad spot but I also think Gudas did follow through even though contact was pretty unavoidable at that point. At that speed the penalty was fine, in my opinion. No more than that.

I just think it is a bad idea to start interpreting that rule as "if he turns his back late, he is fair game."

That's what I take issue with as well.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Awesome hit. Vesey shouldn't have turned at the last second.

I have to admit I thought the league was going to hand down a suspension even knowing the kid turned late and gave Radko no time to slow down. But with his track record I was worried. Glad to see the NHL made the correct call and I was wrong:handclap:.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
When did it become common law in society that a person suffering from the outcome of an event is immune to being blamed – either in whole or in part – for its cause? I'd like to put that on my List of Things to Correct Once My Time Machine is Ready.

Children should feel absolutely free to suddenly run into the street wherever they would like to. If they get hit, it's the drivers fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad