Radim Vrbata Pt. 2

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Being a perennial 30 goal scorer is franchise player worthy. Corey Perry has hit 30 ( or been on pace for 30+) goals 5 times in his 9 year career.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If you're scoring 30 goals every year in the NHL nowadays, you're virtually a phenomenal scorer.

I thought you didn't think that much of Burrows with the Sedins when Burrows was doing it (21-25 ES goals). The Sedins got 33 out of Anson Carter....

Playing with the Sedins in form, at both ES and PP then 30 goals (20-22 ES and 8-10 PP) goals should be base expectations. Putting up 30 on any of the other lines would be very, very good.

Last edited:

krag

Feb 13, 2013
Playing with the Sedins in form, at both ES and PP then 30 goals (20-22 ES and 8-10 PP) goals should be base expectations. Putting up 30 on any of the other lines would be very, very good.

I'm not sure what your point is, do you think the other 30 goal scorers are playing on second lines and getting no power play time? There simply isn't that many players potting more than 30 goals a season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I thought you didn't think that much of Burrows with the Sedins when Burrows was doing it (21-25 ES goals). The Sedins got 33 out of Anson Carter....

Prime Sedins?Sure, but not only are the sedins aging and not the best players in the league anymore, but the league has also tightened up defensively over the past few seasons especially in the west.

30 Would be a good result especially considering the season they had last year.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I think this is the right thread. I'm so happy he signed here. We'd be so screwed right now without him.

Lundface*

I think this is the right thread. I'm so happy he signed here. We'd be so screwed right now without him.

Thank the Sedins. He said he's been eyeing a spot beside them for a couple of years.

The twins are easily worth their contracts given how many ways they impact the franchise.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has been a terrific signing.

To the eye test, his play has trailed off a bit after October ... but then he's on a 7-game point streak right now. Mark of a quality player to be able to produce even when not firing on all cylinders.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

To the eye test, his play has trailed off a bit after October ... but then he's on a 7-game point streak right now. Mark of a quality player to be able to produce even when not firing on all cylinders.

I would agree. He doesn't seem as dynamic as he did earlier in the season, but he's still putting up points.

The fact he's been able to put up a few points without the Sedins helps our line-up flexibility, too.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Even after a slightly cold streak, Vrbata is on pace for roughly 33 goals and 30 assists.

This has been an excellent signing.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC

Agreed. If I were to rank Benning's moves, the Vrbata signing tops the list.

JA

Thank the Sedins. He said he's been eyeing a spot beside them for a couple of years.

The twins are easily worth their contracts given how many ways they impact the franchise.

I think Vrbata has shown plenty of individual skill also. He isn't just converting tap-ins and deflecting their set-up attempts. Radim has top-notch offensive skills and I believe, individually, right now he is on par if not better than each individual Sedin. I actually think he's a better player than Daniel right now.

The luxury we have with a player like him is that he can play on any line and provide that line with an offensive boost. He can make things happen independently if need be.

Here are his first 18 goals in a neat package, courtesy of CanucksTV:

yoss

May 25, 2011
Big fan, love those couple no look behind the back assists behind the net to Daniel and I believe Henrik it was that lead to tap ins. Usually dependable on defense and his offensive creativity is a welcome sight. Far less one dimensional than I would've thought prior to season, although that one set-up for him they always use to get him his shot on the left side has been less effective lately.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Big fan, love those couple no look behind the back assists behind the net to Daniel and I believe Henrik it was that lead to tap ins. Usually dependable on defense and his offensive creativity is a welcome sight. Far less one dimensional than I would've thought prior to season, although that one set-up for him they always use to get him his shot on the left side has been less effective lately.

Maybe 'cause nobody passes it to him in his wheelhouse. It's tough for Henrik to make the pass across usually because he has to saucer it over a few sticks but Edler should be teeing him up like Green does for Ovechkin but for whatever reason, Edler can't seem to make that simple pass across (one of the main reasons he needs to be taken off the 1st unit PP).

Vrbata usually ends up having to settle the puck down then he wrists it on net anyway even though the defense and goalie have already shifted over, not that it's a bad thing to just throw it on net sometimes.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Maybe 'cause nobody passes it to him in his wheelhouse. It's tough for Henrik to make the pass across usually because he has to saucer it over a few sticks but Edler should be teeing him up like Green does for Ovechkin but for whatever reason, Edler can't seem to make that simple pass across (one of the main reasons he needs to be taken off the 1st unit PP).

Vrbata usually ends up having to settle the puck down then he wrists it on net anyway even though the defense and goalie have already shifted over, not that it's a bad thing to just throw it on net sometimes.

Yeah I hear that, also think teams have got wise to it, can get predictable, on the PP esp. like opposing teams scouting/coaching have prepared them to defend against it. Worked wonders earlier in the season, still worth a shot as Vrbata can snipe the **** out of it from there sometimes.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Yeah I hear that, also think teams have got wise to it, can get predictable, on the PP esp. like opposing teams scouting/coaching have prepared them to defend against it. Worked wonders earlier in the season, still worth a shot as Vrbata can snipe the **** out of it from there sometimes.

I disagree with that because the Caps have kept their PP the same for a while and it still works. Granted, Ovechkin can score from there like nobody else can but Vrbata is a decent substitute.

The problem is the Sedins aren't a threat to score from their own side because they refuse to cut in and shoot and nobody has a good shot from the point, either :(

If the Sedins started being more aggressive/dangerous on their own side, it'd open up things for the backdoor play.

The 1-3-1 PP is the only one that worked for us, even if it stopped working. We changed out of it and it hasn't worked but we for some reason we don't change back.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I disagree with that because the Caps have kept their PP the same for a while and it still works. Granted, Ovechkin can score from there like nobody else can but Vrbata is a decent substitute.

The problem is the Sedins aren't a threat to score from their own side because they refuse to cut in and shoot and nobody has a good shot from the point, either :(

If the Sedins started being more aggressive/dangerous on their own side, it'd open up things for the backdoor play.

The 1-3-1 PP is the only one that worked for us, even if it stopped working. We changed out of it and it hasn't worked but we for some reason we don't change back.

Well whatever the case, it hasn't been working like it was. Maybe try Clendening on the first unit. Or Kassian, or Horvat for that matter. Tinker around until something clicks. Really all he needs is to be set up w/ more time and space to get the shot off from there, get a screen in front too and it's always a good option if available.

JA

Tonight's goal against the Boston Bruins -- goal #21 of the season, a great goal:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hell of a player, by far the best pure goal scorer on the team. I hate looking back on the past, but man he would have been nice to have during the Sedin's prime years.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Hell of a player, by far the best pure goal scorer on the team. I hate looking back on the past, but man he would have been nice to have during the Sedin's prime years.

sigh if we could replace Samuelsson or Raymond with Vrbata and had this years 4th line we probably beat boston that year. a healthy hamhuis wouldn't have hurt either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad