Race to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Haven't the isles played like 2-3 games more than everyone that they're trying to catch? They may be 8 pts outta 3rd in the division according to the standings right now, but gotta figure teams will win some or maybe even all of their games in hand. 8 could easily become 12-14 pts behind.
I will still watch this team, but I've accepted (even though not happily) that playoffs are a slim to none chance

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
5 losses in a row and they need to go something like 20-5 to have a snowball's chance in hell to make the playoffs. Yeah, I'm off the bandwagon. Not gonna crap all over this thread, but let's be reality.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
5 losses in a row and they need to go something like 20-5 to have a snowball's chance in hell to make the playoffs. Yeah, I'm off the bandwagon. Not gonna crap all over this thread, but let's be reality.

Thanks for not crapping on the thread and the team. I agree it is unrealistic. I will keep doing the small work on this thread.

I will still root for the players and hope for better days next year. :)

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Thanks for not crapping on the thread and the team. I agree it is unrealistic. I will keep doing the small work on this thread.

I will still root for the players and hope for better days next year. :)

That's all we can do at this point. Look for silver linings. Continued great play from the guys that have been getting it done all year and improvements from the rookies is all I ask.

Great work on the thread by the way. It was fun while it lasted.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Isles have 25 games left and need somewhere near 40 points. Virtually impossible. One shred of a silver lining is that our schedule is generally not as hard as it has been, but at this point it would take a miracle.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
but we are winning with the rookies, that's the problem :)

I'm not suggesting Strome was the difference maker in the wins, not sure why Botta would position it the way he did, other than take a public shot at Snow. Fair or not.

And I like that Strome can continue playing during the Olympic break. He's not been tearing up the AHL like before, though he's been scoring pretty consistently.

I mean, he was replaced by Regin, not like he's tearing things up, one goal since Oct 11th. Isles lack of depth is beyond embarrassing.

Like doublechilli said though, a lot of things need to go perfectly to salvage the season. I think it's pretty clear what needs to happen before the deadline though:

FIRE SALE:
Vanek - gone
MacDonald - gone
Visnovsky - seriously consider offers
Nabokov - seriously consider offers but man, better get a solid goalie back!

Nobody else is likely going anywhere but you never know. For the right return, everyone outside Tavares should be considered "in play"

and when we get all those prospects they wont develop for another 5 yrs, by that time they will replace John Tavares as he will be begging to leave the team.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
This thread will not be closed until the math says we're out. If you want to talk draft there is already a thread for that, go find it.

Now, after last nights loss, making the playoffs becomes that much harder. What are we 7 points out? While not impossible to make up, we'll need to get on a hot and long winning streak. We have to close the gap before the Olympic break, thats imperative.

Apparently some people failed reading comprehension.

Read the bold above! I will decide when this thread will be lock/closed, anymore of "this thread should be closed" or "title changed" be prepared to hear from mod team or myself. Enough!

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
The end of this thread is near. 0.2% chance.

Can we at least un sticky this embarrassment. Does Edmonton/Florida/Buffalo have a thread like this...

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
Apparently some people failed reading comprehension.

Read the bold above! I will decide when this thread will be lock/closed, anymore of "this thread should be closed" or "title changed" be prepared to hear from mod team or myself. Enough!

At least remove the sticky...it's laughable how poorly this team performed when they were so close.

Last edited:

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
At least remove the sticky...it's laughable how poorly this team performed when they were so close.

Don't kid yourself, they were never close. When you go on the tear they did and not pass one single team or make up any points in the race, the handwriting is on the wall. The closest they got was 7 points, that's not close.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
That's all we can do at this point. Look for silver linings. Continued great play from the guys that have been getting it done all year and improvements from the rookies is all I ask.

Great work on the thread by the way. It was fun while it lasted.

:cheers:

Thanks!

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
[/B]

and when we get all those prospects they wont develop for another 5 yrs, by that time they will replace John Tavares as he will be begging to leave the team.

We are taking "expiring" assets and exchanging them for futures. Those same futures can (and should) be flipped for roster players, like Vanek.

But I'm with you - on this team, it rarely happens, especially at the deadline.

Building through the draft, exclusively, is a really dumb way to do things. Betting that every pick will reach max potential in a reasonable timeframe. Crazy.

TheIslesFan

Apr 2, 2008
NY
Rest of the season:
2/6 Flames ...Win
2/8 Avs ...Lose
2/27 Leafs…Win
3/1 Devils…Win
3/2 Panthers… Win
3/4 @ Jets …OTL
3/6 @ Oilers…Win
3/8 @ Flames…Win
3/10 @ Canucks…Loss
3/14 Sharks…Loss
3/15 Sabres…Win
3/18 Wild…Loss
3/23 Blue Jackets…Win
3/25 @Hurricanes…Win
3/27 @Lightning…Loss
3/29 Devils..Win
4/1 Panthers…Win
4/2 @ Sens…Loss
4/5 Caps…Win
4/6 @ Blue Jackets…Win
4/8 Sens …Win
4/10 @ Habs…Loss
4/11 @ Devils…Win
4/13 @ Sabres…Win

My best case scenario…still no dice

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Before the last 6 games, I figured the Islanders could afford to lose 6 and come away with 1 in three and maybe still have a shot.

They have 2 more than can lose and 2 more 1 pointers...and even at that, I think it is a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad