Race for the Rocket Richard 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You realize that Matthews hasn't won the rocket yet... So according to your own reasoning he isn't the best goal scorer

He is currently leading. Just like McDavid is currently leading the Ross. They are not subjective awards and are based on a defined stat. Where as an award like the Hart as not. I'm also not trying to convince anyone, it's my opinion, I don't expect it care if anyone agrees with me.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Marchand already has one tonight.

He's got a long way to go but if the hockey gods have any love for long-suffering Leafs' fans, he's the one player they won't let catch Matthews.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Matthews has 64 goals in his last 82 games.

How others compare?
-Ovechkin has 52 in his last 82
-Draisaitl has 46 in his last 82
-Zibanejad has 46 in his last 82
-Kyle Connor has 45 in his last 82
-David Pastrnak has 42 in his last 82
-Rantanen has 42 in his last 82

It's pretty astonishing to see. I think this race is almost over, I think if anyone is going to catch him, it's Alex Ovechkin but he's 9 goals back and has some stiff competition left.

The Caps have 3 games vs the Islanders, 2 games vs the rangers, 2 games vs the pens, 2 games vs the flyers, 1 game vs the bruins. Ovechkin has has struggled vs the Pens, Bruins and Islanders. It'll come down to what he does vs the Flyers and Rangers.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

How others compare?

It's pretty astonishing to see. I think this race is almost over, I think if anyone is going to catch him, it's Alex Ovechkin but he's 9 goals back and has some stiff competition left.

The Caps have 3 games vs the Islanders, 2 games vs the rangers, 2 games vs the pens, 2 games vs the flyers, 1 game vs the bruins. Ovechkin has has struggled vs the Pens, Bruins and Islanders. It'll come down to what he does vs the Flyers and Rangers.
I cant wait to see the best goal scorer in the world be recognized as such.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He was the best at the end of last year.

But you said a player is the best until someone takes it from them. Until this season is complete, no one has taken the Hart, Ross, or Lindsay from Draisaitl. So you believe that coming into this current season, and all through this year until game 56 is played for everyone, if someone asked "who is the best player in hockey", the correct answer was Draisaitl?

I find that hard to believe you actually think Draisaitl is the best player in hockey and I think you're only arguing it now because you have to in order to stick with your "whoever wins the Rocket that season is the best goal scorer in hockey" argument.

The irony is no Leaf fan can argue Matthews is the best goal scorer in hockey currently because he hasn't officially "taken" the Rocket from Ovechkin.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I'm not going to handicap him, a win is a win is a win but it's hard to have a final judgement on the issue until the man wins it in a normal year. How can anyone say with a straight face that Matthews is the leagues best goal scorer after winning the Rocket once when the guy who has won 9 of them and won the last 3 prior is still in the league?
The reigns have to be passed over eventually. I doubt OV will be a major threat for the rocket on a year to year basis over the next couple of years. He could be I mean he's OV but age catches up eventually.
Matthews has been among the top goal scorers since entering the league.
Last season he missed it by 1 goal in a season where covid shut things down early. that could have easily become Matthews rocket just like it could have been Pastrnak or Ovechkin solo.
What I ask if Matthews isn't considered the current best goal scorer in the league. then who?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
But you said a player is the best until someone takes it from them. Until this season is complete, no one has taken the Hart, Ross, or Lindsay from Draisaitl. So you believe that coming into this current season, and all through this year until game 56 is played for everyone, if someone asked "who is the best player in hockey", the correct answer was Draisaitl?

I find that hard to believe you actually think Draisaitl is the best player in hockey and I think you're only arguing it now because you have to in order to stick with your "whoever wins the Rocket that season is the best goal scorer in hockey" argument.

The irony is no Leaf fan can argue Matthews is the best goal scorer in hockey currently because he hasn't officially "taken" the Rocket from Ovechkin.

I'm surprised you can't see the different between a voted award and a statistic based award.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
So many haters in here trying so hard to discredit Matthews.
Have we been watching different leagues?
Has Matthews not been among the top goal scorers since entering the league?
How is it foolish to say he's the best goal scorer in the league if he wins the Rocket?
Not like this is the first time he has been in the Rocket race

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

How others compare?

That is actually mindboggling. 64 goals in 82 games lol.

Matthews will win multiple rockets in his career if he stays healthy. Pretty easy to see that

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We had 10's of pages of discussion on it, and it was still you and a couple of other Leafs fans making your claims, and continuing to ignore and every other counter-argument that was made.
That is not true at all. I have not ignored a single counter-argument that you or anybody else has brought. I have addressed everything, brought extensive evidence against each point (even when you have none in the first place), and explained in simple terms why you are wrong. You're welcome to bring anything you think has yet to be addressed, and I'll happily disprove it again for you.
(which is why I ignore you most of the time)
Mhm, but you're not. You're in fact doing the opposite - bringing my name up in every thread you can, when I'm not even part of the discussion.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It’s ironic because he also leads in /60
Goalscoring.. so what’s your point again?

I was wondering if they were aware of that? All the numbers playing out as suggested. Yet some find it surprising. Reminds me of flat earthers, masks don't helpers and lasers start forest firers (sp?).

Reactions: authentic

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not positive what you're asking here, but I'm going to assume that you're asking "Who was better that season if a player won the Richard or a team won the cup?" But it's interesting that you used the word "was", because all the games that happened leading up to that Richard or cup would have been in the past if you're asking after the season. Similarly, all the games this year are in the past. They've already happened. Why does that past matter and not any other part of the past? We don't judge the best goalscorers based on a single night, because we know that variance happens. There needs to be a sense of sustainability in order for someone to be the best. If you're the best "currently", it means you're the most likely to be the best in the foreseeable future. Matthews has been the best goalscorer this season, but when you have someone who has been the best most seasons in recent history, there's certainly some question of who is most likely to be the best in future games. Just like if a team won three straight cups and then lost in the Conference finals, there's certainly a question to whether the best team going forward is actually the cup winner that fourth year or the team that's a consistent winner.

Last I checked Cups and trophies have a finite period.

IdontSpitOnTheIce

Apr 27, 2012
I can see that Matthews is the best goal scorer and that Marner guy looks like a selke candidate with his stick play man what a player but he’s not a center so he’s not getting that trophy ever

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad