GDT: R2G5: STL @ COL: **COL Leads 3-1** 8:00p (ET) / 6:00p (MT)

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Mine is the Dallas series game 7, I think it was the 1999-2000 season. Closely followed by the Statue of Liberty series. That last game Detroit scored 6 goals or whatever was horrible. I wanted to stick my dick in a Snowblower.
I remember those losses well. The Statue of Liberty game was on my birthday.

f*** Patrick Roy, that was the first time he screwed this team over. The second was when he walked away from his coaching job.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Statue of Liberty was a rough one. Not because it was a gut punch or the game was ever in doubt but because of what came afterwards. The next day of school I walked into my social studies class and my teacher had the score written on the blackboard. She kept it there for the entirety of the class and would periodically point at it, look at me, and then smirk just to rub it in more. I still remember that ****.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I remember those losses well. The Statue of Liberty game was on my birthday.

f*** Patrick Roy, that was the first time he screwed this team over. The second was when he walked away from his coaching job.
ya I never liked Roy and that statue of liberty pose cost us another cup

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Because of last night. Basically going to need Kuemper to pull a Game 6 Finals Patrick ROy performance and you know that aint happening.
You may very well be right, and if I wasn’t actively trying to be optimistic after 19 years of negativity I’d be right there with you in this thinking, but the sky was also falling after g2, series over at 1-1, yet here we are.

Darcy doesn’t need a Roy performance, he just needs the team in front of them to not get lazy, and not puck or MacK watch.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One thing is for sure… Berube has impressed me with his adjustments in this series. In game and between games he’s making the right moves.

What adjustments? The Avs were dominating 3-0, on their way to going to the WCF only losing 1 game to the Blues, and then Darcy and the team stopped playing. Brilliant jedi mind trick adjustment by Berube to get the Avs to stop playing.

This adjustments stuff is nonsense. Always has been. It was the same problem last year. They stopped playing. Then they outplayed Vegas the final two games, but made costly mistakes, got a couple soft goals and lost.

It's never been about adjustments. Never. It's always been about effort and mistakes.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What adjustments? The Avs were dominating 3-0, on their way to going to the WCF only losing 1 game to the Blues, and then Darcy and the team stopped playing. Brilliant jedi mind trick adjustment by Berube to get the Avs to stop playing.

This adjustments stuff is nonsense. Always has been. It was the same problem last year. They stopped playing. Then they outplayed Vegas the final two games, but made costly mistakes, got a couple soft goals and lost.

It's never been about adjustments. Never. It's always been about effort and mistakes.
Than what's the point of coaches?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

I agree that last night had very little to do with tactical adjustments by the blues, but game 2 this year definitely did, and so did Vegas games 2-4 last series. Bednar's done a much better job responding this year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Than what's the point of coaches?

The fact that adjustments haven't been an issue just means that Bednar is good at adjustments and they haven't been the reason they lost. Not that coaches aren't necessary.

I agree that last night had very little to do with tactical adjustments by the blues, but game 2 this year definitely did, and so did Vegas games 2-4 last series. Bednar's done a much better job responding this year.

I don't even think game 2 had to do with adjustments. Remember how awful they looked? They looked just like they looked in the second half of last game, and just how they looked against Vegas in games 2, 3, and 4.

That's how they look when they stop moving their feet and executing on their passes. It's an effort issue. They just get comfortable and stop playing. Then the momentum swings the oppositions way and it's tough for them to get the motor started back up.

Bednar's system relies on speed and puck movement, and above all else effort. It's not a defensive system like defensive teams that sit back and trap don't use much energy. It requires a lot of energy, because they have to forecheck really hard, back check really hard, and skate really hard on the breakout.

When they don't give the proper effort the system doesn't work.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Statue of Liberty was a rough one. Not because it was a gut punch or the game was ever in doubt but because of what came afterwards. The next day of school I walked into my social studies class and my teacher had the score written on the blackboard. She kept it there for the entirety of the class and would periodically point at it, look at me, and then smirk just to rub it in more. I still remember that ****.
My brother kicked my ass from the start of the game until the end. A literal 3 hour ass kicking. He's 13 years older than me and I was 8 at the time.

Yeah. Be thankful you only got teased by your social studies teacher.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the Avs lose this series he should get fired. Not because hes a bad coach but because he cant get this group over the hump. He will be snatched up quickly and be successful elsewhere.

Bednar would be snatched up in a nano second by Vegas and be an absolute thorn in the Avs side for years. I bet you that's why Vegas is waiting to hire someone. He'd fit their team perfectly.

It could end up making it even harder for the Avs to advance, because he'll know all the core player's tendencies, and the best ways to shut them down.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Game 4 2008 playoffs against the Red Wings. I was at that game, it was horrible. The definitive proof that the rivalry as well as the Avs relevance was over. I think I witnessd double digit fights as well that night, people were pissed.

I was 13 living in Hamilton, Ontario going to a local school when that game happened.

I can remember taking my late night shower (so I could sleep in as late as possible in the morning) and sobbing in the shower like an EMO music video.

That's such a distant memory for me that it barely even registers in my lifetime memories but I'm sure you remember every second of that game you attended.

Kind of puts everything in perspective.

I'm jealous you were at that game even though I'm sure you hate a lot of the memories of being there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bednar would be snatched up in a nano second by Vegas and be an absolute thorn in the Avs side for years. I bet you that's why Vegas is waiting to hire someone. He'd fit their team perfectly.

It could end up making it even harder for the Avs to advance, because he'll know all the core player's tendencies, and the best ways to shut them down.
Regardless, if this team ends up blowing a 3-1 series lead to the St. Louis Blues and loses in the 2nd round for a 4th year in a row I don't think Joe Sakic has a choice. Bednar has to go.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
Regardless, if this team ends up blowing a 3-1 series lead to the St. Louis Blues and loses in the 2nd round for a 4th year in a row I don't think Joe Sakic has a choice. Bednar has to go.
Keep Bednar for the regular season and get Trotz for the playoffs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Thats hilarious. One of my teachers whispered the score to me as I was walking out during commencement lol

Reactions: dahrougem2

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Failing to clear was definitely not the gameplan but all of a sudden we had guys like Lehkonen and NAK getting the red line early on their shifts, dumping it in, and going for a change. They must have been coached to play a more conservative formation to avoid limiting odd man rushes but that’s just not our game. We’re great at playing defense in their end and disrupting their breakouts, we’re not as good at playing in our end and when you keep letting them break out like that you suddenly see guys uncomfortable and making mistakes playing a game that’s not our strength and not what we do night in and night out. Of course, it would have all still been fine without Kuemper’s worst goaltending performance in a while but we didn’t need to be in that situation for sure

The approach of gaining the red line and dumping it in worked well in the previous two wins, as the Avs executed that approach well. That approach worked well for the most part again but there was a bit more nervousness and sadly Kuemper couldn't make a save when he needed to.

One thing is for sure… Berube has impressed me with his adjustments in this series. In game and between games he’s making the right moves.
He's made some good adjustments, but taking Perunovich out for game 5 wasn't one of them as it clearly stunted their power play which was their biggest weapon in the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad