GDT: R2G4: Avs & Stars - Back on the Throne - 4PM

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm just...writing off Cole for this season. The surgery (and also coming back way too soon from it IMO) made him a lost cause from the start.

I hope he can salvage what he can for the final year of his contract and play mostly as a 6/7 guy.

And while he has by no means been great--Connauton at least has been serviceable as the injury fill-in.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I would add Makar to that... But besides that I agree.

Nobody else has shown up at all. A few guys have had decent moments, but nothing at all consistently.

Goaltending has been awful no questions on that and it's probably the #1 reason we are where we are right now... But this team is also chalk full of "passengers" as Bednar often puts it and it's just not good enough.
I would add Kadri to the list. So Cale, Nathan and Nazem. Everyone else has been suspect. Rantanen somehow has 16 points and I don't think hes been particularly good. Doesn't seem to be the Mikko pre pay day. That's the Mikko the Avs paid for and they aren't getting that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The sad thing is there are no obvious changes Avs can make to turn this around. Basically use the same team as last game and hope Francouz finds a playoff mode.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would add Kadri to the list. So Cale, Nathan and Nazem. Everyone else has been suspect. Rantanen somehow has 16 points and I don't think hes been particularly good. Doesn't seem to be the Mikko pre pay day. That's the Mikko the Avs paid for and they aren't getting that.

Rants was pretty similar last playoffs too, the only difference is that he scored or setup timely goals when it mattered so he was given a pass, but he didn't play that great.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Since Grubauer can't stay healthy, same with EJ who's also not getting any younger, I'd say the only thing Sakic needs is Pietrangelo and a goalie. If Pietrangelo isn't happening, there are other options maybe to bring in a solid veteran d-man because Avs can't rely on Byram and Timmins in their 1st year. As far as the goalie situation, it'll be interesting to see what Sakic does. Does he resigns Francouz and goes with the same duo for another year, or Francouz gone, he gets a new 1A or 1B option to go with Grubauer
Frankie is resigned for 2 more years.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Frankie is resigned for 2 more years.
Yeah for some reason I thought his contact is expiring this year. Grubauer has one more year left i believe, wonder if the Avs just gonna go with them at least another year

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I dont think Kadri has been all that great in this series honestly. He's had moments for sure, and when the team was imploding on themselves in game 4 last night Naz was about the only one showing some heart and care.

But he still needs to be better IMO. That entire 2nd line has been pretty underwhelming overall in this series.

Rantanen this playoffs had been the absolute definition of a hockey leech. He has 16 points and if it weren't for Mack and Cale I'm not even sure he would have 5 :laugh:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Everything is pointing towards the Avs winning a cup in 2 years. Goaltending can be upgraded then because both Francouz and Grubauer will have expired contracts, Sakic can get a new starting goalie. Byram and Timmins will be in their 2nd year and have impact, will have a new rookie center in Newhook who should be a big upgrade over JTC and Jost.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I dont think Kadri has been all that great in this series honestly. He's had moments for sure, and when the team was imploding on themselves in game 4 last night Naz was about the only one showing some heart and care.

But he still needs to be better IMO. That entire 2nd line has been pretty underwhelming overall in this series.

Rantanen this playoffs had been the absolute definition of a hockey leech. He has 16 points and if it weren't for Mack and Cale I'm not even sure he would have 5 :laugh:
Oh for sure Kadri hasn't been good this series im just talking as whole hes shown up. I cant say the same about Mikko from the Arizona series to now. We all seen him dominate games and hes done nothing close to that for a good while.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yeah for some reason I thought his contact is expiring this year. Grubauer has one more year left i believe, wonder if the Avs just gonna go with them at least another year
I would try to upgrade and deal with the 3-headed monster if one of Grubauer or Frankie can’t be traded. Frankie’s contract is buriable, would only cost 1M$ per season at worst.

Reactions: the_fan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Everything is pointing towards the Avs winning a cup in 2 years. Goaltending can be upgraded then because both Francouz and Grubauer will have expired contracts, Sakic can get a new starting goalie. Byram and Timmins will be in their 2nd year and have impact, will have a new rookie center in Newhook who should be a big upgrade over JTC and Jost.

Yes, even if the Stars do manage to win this series tonight or later, I think everyone expects that the Avs have a brighter future. Stars Cup Window is ending, Avs is just beginning, so maybe there is some Karma in the entire thing, who knows. And, as mentioned, most teams need to lose a tough one to learn how to win a tough one in the SC playoffs.

Of course, Stars haven't won anything yet. And, if the Avs win, Stars will be on pins and needles, after not being able to close out STL last year with a 3-2 series lead. Still some nail biting on both sides to do!

Reactions: the_fan

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Yes, even if the Stars do manage to win this series tonight or later, I think everyone expects that the Avs have a brighter future. Stars Cup Window is ending, Avs is just beginning, so maybe there is some Karma in the entire thing, who knows. And, as mentioned, most teams need to lose a tough one to learn how to win a tough one in the SC playoffs.

Of course, Stars haven't won anything yet. And, if the Avs win, Stars will be on pins and needles, after not being able to close out STL last year with a 3-2 series lead. Still some nail biting on both sides to do!

I like the stars D a lot and that is a pretty young group. The issue is the two anchor contracts in Benn and Seguin up front. Those are going to be very bad very soon.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Rants was pretty similar last playoffs too, the only difference is that he scored or setup timely goals when it mattered so he was given a pass, but he didn't play that great.
I don't remember him bobbling the puck so much or forcing so many bad passes. He has disappointed me these playoffs. Last year he wasn't perfect but It was better than this.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hum no. Nothing on Frankie here, Makar is coming in, no time to stand there and settle the puck. Makar has the better stick to do that anyway. Makar has to recognize the puck is not flat and settle it or play it in another way. It’s a fluke play but it’s more on Makar than Frankie.

That is no excuse. Watch the play again. It's not like Makar was coming in hot and gave him no time.

I guess Cale should have looked down to see if his goalie left him a puck wobbling on its edge but Franky had plenty of time, and should have left it flat.

Reactions: Quarrth

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Dave Reid just managed to put the blame of Makar turnover on Francouz. When Francouz went back to play the puck, as a goalie you're supposed to leave the puck flat for the d-man to take, Francouz played it and made the puck roll and it kept rolling when Cale tried to pick it up and thats why it rolled off Makar's stick

Way to go Reid! LOL

^^^^oops, beaten to it

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That is no excuse. Watch the play again. It's not like Makar was coming in hot and gave him no time.

I guess Cale should have looked down to see if his goalie left him a puck wobbling on its edge but Franky had plenty of time, and should have left it flat.

What? Frank does not have the time to double touch that puck, Makar is there.

Since when do goalies have to baby the puck for the D?

Makar blew it, it happens, end of story.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What? Frank does not have the time to double touch that puck, Makar is there.

Since when do goalies have to baby the puck for the D?

Makar blew it, it happens, end of story.

Goalies always baby the puck for the defense. You haven't noticed this?

They take an extra second to make sure the puck is flat if they have time, and Franky clearly had an extra second with no one around before Makar got there. It's a routine play on the PP, and that was basically the same setup.

Makar's at fault for not looking down but that's on Franky too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
they both were too casual.

64388915.jpg

Reactions: sethro109

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Goalies always baby the puck for the defense. You haven't noticed this?

They take an extra second to make sure the puck is flat if they have time, and Franky clearly had an extra second with no one around before Makar got there. It's a routine play on the PP, and that was basically the same setup.

Makar's at fault for not looking down but that's on Franky too.
They try to baby the puck if they have time, it’s not an obligation. Frankie did not have time to double touch as Makar is right there, unpressured. It was on Makar to handle that puck, unpressured. Makar had another horrible mishandle in the first. He has the same «jittery » hands that Mack had earlier in his career. His hands will get smoother as he matures.

There is no need to blame Frank on this. It’s Makar’s blunder and he has to own it and come back stronger.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They try to baby the puck if they have time, it’s not an obligation. Frankie did not have time to double touch as Makar is right there, unpressured. It was on Makar to handle that puck, unpressured. Makar had another horrible mishandle in the first. He has the same «jittery » hands that Mack had earlier in his career. His hands will get smoother as he matures.

There is no need to blame Frank on this. It’s Makar’s blunder and he has to own it and come back stronger.

We're not going to see eye to eye on this because I don't understand why you don't think Frank had time to settle the puck?

I counted a full second in between when he left the puck and Makar coasted in and touched it.

That's plenty of time to settle it, and Makar can sit there and wait if he needed to while Dallas is changing. Which he wouldn't have had to because Frank should have had enough time.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
We're not going to see eye to eye on this because I don't understand why you don't think Frank had time to settle the puck.

I counted a full second in between when he left the puck and Makar coasted in and touched it.

That's plenty of time to settle it, and Makar can sit there and wait if he needed to while Dallas is changing. Which he wouldn't have had to because Frank should have had enough time.
Why settle it for Makar if he’s there a second later? Makar has the better stick to settle the puck anyway. It makes no sense for Frankie to be in the way, settling the puck for Makar. That’s how mistakes happen, when you try to do too much and you are in the way. Goalies will take that time when they have more than 1 sec, like 2-3, that’s just a fact. Otherwise they should get out of the way and be in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad