GDT: R2G4: Avs & Stars - Back on the Throne - 4PM

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Oh wow really? He blocked a shot before that? So he can just take the rest of the shift off and avoid blocking any more shots?

I expect the guy who has led all players in shot blocks before not to curl up and duck out of the way of a shot, while he and his team is getting dominated in the playoffs.

There's literally no way to excuse that play by Cole.

So by your logic every goalie should make a save?

Or every shot taken should be a goal?

Just because Cole blocked the most shots in 17'-18' he should block every Dallas shot on that power play?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So Cole blocked a shot, on that same powerplay, less than 5 seconds before the goal. And he should have stopped the second shot? Above the goalie, Above any other player?

Yes why is that hard to understand? I've seen him block three or four shots in a row on the same shift, on multiple occasions. That's why he's so good at it.

The first one was completely harmless and didn't affect him at all.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Tell me why you believe Cole should've blocked two shots in a row above any other avs player, on the same pk, within 5 seconds of cole blocking the first shot?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tell me why you believe Cole should've blocked two shots in a row above any other avs player, on the same pk, within 5 seconds of cole blocking the first shot?

Why do I need to explain to you why Cole should block two shots in a row? That's his job. Especially when the first one was harmless, and all he had to do on the second one was not duck out of the way.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Why do I need to explain to you why Cole should block two shots in a row? That's his job. Especially when the first one was harmless, and all he had to do on the second one was not duck out of the way.

All Francouz had to do was make the save. All Graves had to do was tie up Benn.

Are you serious lol?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
That goal was not Makar's fault. Look at this spinning grenade Franky left him.

It's his job to settle the puck flat and leave it behind the net in a good spot for his D man. He leaves a grenade with no one around and just bails.

giphy.gif
Hum no. Nothing on Frankie here, Makar is coming in, no time to stand there and settle the puck. Makar has the better stick to do that anyway. Makar has to recognize the puck is not flat and settle it or play it in another way. It’s a fluke play but it’s more on Makar than Frankie.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hum no. Nothing on Frankie here, Makar is coming in, no time to stand there and settle the puck. Makar has the better stick to do that anyway. Makar has to recognize the puck is not flat and settle it or play it in another way. It’s a fluke play but it’s more on Makar than Frankie.

Frankie's not entirely blameless though. Yes, Cale f***ed up. He clearly knew it, and rookies make rookie mistakes sometimes. I still say part of the blame should be on Bednar though--Frankie should not have even been in the game at that point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Frankie's not entirely blameless though. Yes, Cale f***ed up. He clearly knew it, and rookies make rookie mistakes sometimes. I still say part of the blame should be on Bednar though--Frankie should not have even been in the game at that point.
I agree. 3 goals in 10 minutes. Put Hutchinson in right then.

1. it gives you 2 full periods to look at Hutch who hasn’t played. Who knows, maybe he earns a start next game.
2. it gives Francouz more time to rest in the likely case that Hutch doesn’t earn a start next game.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree. 3 goals in 10 minutes. Put Hutchinson in right then.

1. it gives you 2 full periods to look at Hutch who hasn’t played. Who knows, maybe he earns a start next game.
2. it gives Francouz more time to rest in the likely case that Hutch doesn’t earn a start next game.

At the VERY least, he should've been pulled after that fourth goal (which was also horrible, even though the floppy PK wasn't helping matters). To keep him in after that just screamed to me that Bednar didn't trust Hutchinson as far as he could throw him, which sends another bad message to the team and the goalie sitting on the bench. If your GM went to the trouble of getting a third goalie who wasn't a minor leaguer or a prospect, and you don't use him after the starter's fourth bad game in a row, then what was the f***ing point.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Pathetic game. That first might have been worse than any stretch of terrible hockey during the 48 point season.

The team, outside of MacKinnon, has looked disinterested in playing since the puck drop of G1. Just send them home.

I don't know what Joe can do, but given how he built this team, I hope he's f***ing pissed off. Guys must have really bought into their own hype after the AZ series because they came out and are likely getting eliminated tonight and have taken a step back from last season. Keep wasting that MacKinnon contract because his extension will make it more difficult for Joe to surround him with talent to help. Not impossible, but more difficult.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
At the VERY least, he should've been pulled after that fourth goal (which was also horrible, even though the floppy PK wasn't helping matters). To keep him in after that just screamed to me that Bednar didn't trust Hutchinson as far as he could throw him, which sends another bad message to the team and the goalie sitting on the bench. If your GM went to the trouble of getting a third goalie who wasn't a minor leaguer or a prospect, and you don't use him after the starter's fourth bad game in a row, then what was the f***ing point.
Seems like everyone at the Avs training camp said Hutch was trash and the worst goalie there. He got the gig because, like Cole, he has “vet experience” whatever the hell that means. How well has that served Cole during his pathetic play in the bubble? Avs brain trust really crapped their pants running this team in the bubble.

also feels like we could have used Kaut this round. And he didn’t even come to Camp.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pathetic game. That first might have been worse than any stretch of terrible hockey during the 48 point season.

The team, outside of MacKinnon, has looked disinterested in playing since the puck drop of G1. Just send them home.

I don't know what Joe can do, but given how he built this team, I hope he's f***ing pissed off. Guys must have really bought into their own hype after the AZ series because they came out and are likely getting eliminated tonight and have taken a step back from last season. Keep wasting that MacKinnon contract because his extension will make it more difficult for Joe to surround him with talent to help. Not impossible, but more difficult.

I think you're getting hyperbole get the better of you here, though that is entirely understandable.

They played worse IMO during the regular season than that first period, but I'd say only one game stands out in my mind--the game against the Rangers where Donskoi got knocked out with a cheap shot by Ryan Lindgren. They were listless and lazy the whole game. At least here they woke the f*** up after that first period, and I'd argue one of the reasons they started out so poorly is because they were constantly looking over their shoulders because they knew the goalie didn't have their back.

And they have absolutely poured it on at times in this series--in fact one could argue they've been the better team overall. They've just let up over a very short stretch in each of the games where Dallas either gets an insanely lucky break or they just have a horrid defensive breakdown, but most of all they're just not getting the goaltending. At this stage you absolutely MUST have a goalie who can bail you out of the occasional flub. Frankie hasn't done that at all this entire series.

There have been periods where the Avs were the ones destroying the Stars when it came to possession, shots, and scoring chances in this series, the difference has been that Dobby was good enough to weather those storms. Frankie hasn't been.

Reactions: Avs71

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seems like everyone at the Avs training camp said Hutch was trash and the worst goalie there. He got the gig because, like Cole, he has “vet experience” whatever the hell that means. How well has that served Cole during his pathetic play in the bubble? Avs brain trust really crapped their pants running this team in the bubble.

also feels like we could have used Kaut this round. And he didn’t even come to Camp.

For reasons Henchy stated (his underlying heart conditions) I'm guessing they just didn't want Kaut in the bubble. That's fine--he likely would never have seen a lot of time. O'Connor has been more than adequate as a fill-in. Kaut's time is next season for sure.

I'm not so sure the coaches and management could've done much more than what they did going into this tournament. And really, let's just pause for a second before blasting them. They looked fantastic save for one game in the round robin--and even then nearly beat Vegas to grab that top seed--and then completely DOMINATED a mediocre Arizona squad. They've also been, for the most part, the better team in this series, but they're not getting the two ingredients necessary for a deep Cup run: Luck and Goaltending.

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
Win or go home, I’d rather go with the unknown in Hutch than watching francouz piss another game away. I don’t believe he can turn it around. I haven’t seen many goalies this slow at reacting to pucks at his feet.
Start Hutch and give Timmins a look, it can’t get much worse.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Hopefully, Hutchinson starts today. At least try something different.

Win or go home, I’d rather go with the unknown in Hutch than watching francouz piss another game away. I don’t believe he can turn it around. I haven’t seen many goalies this slow at reacting to pucks at his feet.
Start Hutch and give Timmins a look, it can’t get much worse.

This is where I'm at too. Let's get a different look in there and I don't care how bad people seem to think he is, he just needs to be ok. We had the hamburglar in there against Nashville a few years ago and he did well in a game #5 scenario as well.

Besides, if Hutchinson is terrible and we get down by 2 or 3 quickly - that's not any different than what's been happening anyways.

Timmins could really help us moving the puck but he's going to have to expect to get hit and make sure he's not playing scared. If he can balance that out, I believe he'd be a boost compared to what we currently have on the back-end right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I would add Makar to that... But besides that I agree.

Nobody else has shown up at all. A few guys have had decent moments, but nothing at all consistently.

Goaltending has been awful no questions on that and it's probably the #1 reason we are where we are right now... But this team is also chalk full of "passengers" as Bednar often puts it and it's just not good enough.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Glass half full??

Our holes are GLARINGLY apparent and Super Joe will have the proper information about what holes need to be filled this off season.
Since Grubauer can't stay healthy, same with EJ who's also not getting any younger, I'd say the only thing Sakic needs is Pietrangelo and a goalie. If Pietrangelo isn't happening, there are other options maybe to bring in a solid veteran d-man because Avs can't rely on Byram and Timmins in their 1st year. As far as the goalie situation, it'll be interesting to see what Sakic does. Does he resigns Francouz and goes with the same duo for another year, or Francouz gone, he gets a new 1A or 1B option to go with Grubauer

LakewoodAvsFan

Oct 16, 2019
Lakewood, CO
This is where I'm at too. Let's get a different look in there and I don't care how bad people seem to think he is, he just needs to be ok. We had the hamburglar in there against Nashville a few years ago and he did well in a game #5 scenario as well.

Besides, if Hutchinson is terrible and we get down by 2 or 3 quickly - that's not any different than what's been happening anyways.

Timmins could really help us moving the puck but he's going to have to expect to get hit and make sure he's not playing scared. If he can balance that out, I believe he'd be a boost compared to what we currently have on the back-end right now.

Who knows, maybe Hutch is one of those players that has some magical ability to be completely different from their regular season self, in the playoffs. I know, grasping for any hope right now.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can Rantanen join the bubble tonight? He might be the most disappointing player on the Avs. The points are there for him, but he has been a total passenger.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Can Rantanen join the bubble tonight? He might be the most disappointing player on the Avs. The points are there for him, but he has been a total passenger.
16 points in 12 games, made a gritty play when he cross checked Heiskanen then Bellemare scores the empty netter for the Avs only win. I mean what more do you want Mikko to do? He's been just fine

Reactions: BleedWell

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
16 points in 12 games, made a gritty play when he cross checked Heiskanen then Bellemare scores the empty netter for the Avs only win. I mean what more do you want Mikko to do? He's been just fine
Agree, I was down on him going into the playoffs but I think he's been pretty good. Don't forget drawing the penalty yesterday to get the 5 on 3

He can be better, but all in all he has produced and is a big + on the plus/minus

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is f***ing pathetic. Cole is one of the best shot blockers in the NHL and led all players in blocks when the Pens won the Cup in 2016-17.

Might as well pull a flamingo out there you p***y.

giphy.gif

This is also f***ing pathetic. Avs have sucked at blocking shots all playoffs.

giphy.gif

That second clip of bellemare and Compher diving around on the ice had me pulling on my hair when it happened. Just so bad. Francouz sucks, but the PK was awful as well yesterday.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2