GDT: R2G2: Colorado Avalanche vs Dallas Stars (9:45 ET - 7:45 MT)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Cmon man. Their record going into the third while trailing has been abysmal. 2-3 wins when trailing? That's not entirely on Jared but some of it is. I like Bednar and I think he is the perfect coach for this team but im not going to defend his team unable to mount a comeback when the games matter most.

Pretty sure most teams' records when down going into the 3rd period is abysmal.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As an aside, I know we're down 2-0 but it's absolutely hilarious how much Oilers fans hate us because the media has been pumping out "MacKinnon is the best player in the league" these playoffs.

It's actually hilarious how insecure they are about McDavid and Draisaitl. "But but but Connor is number one!"

Of course he is. But he's not playing right now. So shut up lol.
So funny lol. All morning in my whats app chat this has been a topic of conversation. The Oiler fans cant stand that Mackinnon is even mentioned in the same sentence as Mcjesus.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The annoying thing is that Dallas absolutely suck. We skated circles around them until Cole gifted them that 5-on-3 and they got that fluke GWG off Radulov.

I agree with most of this, but that might have been the softest cross check Cole has ever given anyone, and a huge flop by perhaps the biggest flopper in the NHL.

He does this almost every game. He skates to the front of the net, knowing someone is going to at least touch him, and when they touch him, he flops to the ice. It's pathetic and it's moronic that the refs always fall for it.

Of course it's the friggin ref outside the zone who's probably obstructed from even seeing Pavelski because Cole's in the way, making the call once again in these playoffs. Not the guy staring right at it in the zone.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Richard88 and MarkT

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You know what’s happening, Avs have too much respect for Dal. They have to come with an attitude of « we are going to beat these f***s ». f*** the excuses, f*** the noise, play your game. They can turn this series, they just need the right frame of mind.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You know what’s happening, Avs have too much respect for Dal. They have to come with an attitude of « we are going to beat these f***s ». f*** the excuses, f*** the noise, play your game. They can turn this series, they just need the right frame of mind.

They were caught off guard in Game 1 and Game 2 was close and decided by refs. I don't think Dallas is a better team than the Avs, even with the injuries.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ours is pretty extreme though wouldn't you say? 3 damn wins with this roster? Last night they rolled over and died in the 3rd. This wasn't a round robin game. This is Game 2 when your already down a game. They were lifeless.

They folded, I won't deny that--but that fourth goal Frankie let in by shitting the bed would demoralize just about anyone. But that's not necessarily indicative of their play in this tournament or in the regular season thus far. They just...don't do well against this team. They'll have to figure out why that is this offseason.

Also, they were clearly gassed by the third, especially Makar. Bednar is having to overplay the stars because the depth guys are simply not getting anything done whatsoever.

If there's one continued area of underachievement that frustrates the living f*** out of me that Bednar has failed miserably to address, it's the team's play at 3-on-3. Now THAT, I don't have an explanation for.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Way too tentative. Landy talked about it after game one that they started the game trying to feel out what Dallas was going to do, even though they always talk about just focusing on themselves.

They keep falling into this bad habit.

Reactions: klozge and Metallo

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I agree with most of this, but that might have been the softest cross check Cole has ever given anyone, and a huge flop by perhaps the biggest flopper in the NHL.

He does this almost every game. He skates to the front of the net, knowing someone is going to at least touch him, and when they touch him, he flops to the ice. It's pathetic and it's moronic that the refs always fall for it.

Of course it's the friggin ref outside the zone who's probably obstructed from even seeing Pavelski because Cole's in the way, making the call once again in these playoffs. Not the guy staring right at it in the zone.

giphy.gif

Do you have the clip earlier in this shift when someone failed to clear the puck that lead to this penalty? Cole missed a clear but someone before that had all the space in the world to ice the puck and didnt

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar is having to overplay the stars because the depth guys are simply not getting anything done whatsoever..

It really sucks that our new "added depth" isn't helping our first line.

Donks, Bura, Nuke, Kadri...all gone in this series.

This feels like the two previous playoffs with JTC, Kerfoot and Jost as our second line.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Someone have a clip of Graves on the 3 on 5 with his stick defending a passing lane to BEHIND the net where there wasn't a Dallas player anyways?Meanwhile the cross ice pass gets thru and Pavelski scores.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Do you have the clip earlier in this shift when someone failed to clear the puck that lead to this penalty? Cole missed a clear but someone before that had all the space in the world to ice the puck and didnt

Yeah Nieto and Cole both failed to clear, but Nieto's was the bad one. Rads made a really nice play to hold in Cole's clear.

Nieto also failed to block the cross ice pass to Benn down low that might have prevented Pavelski's flopping penalty.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah Nieto and Cole both failed to clear, but Nieto's was the bad one. Rads made a really nice play to hold in Cole's clear.

Nieto also failed to block the cross ice pass to Benn down low that might have prevented Pavelski's flopping penalty.

Yeah Rads keeping in Coles clear was a really nice play.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It really sucks that our new "added depth" isn't helping our first line.

Donks, Bura, Nuke, Kadri...all gone in this series.

This feels like the two previous playoffs with JTC, Kerfoot and Jost as our second line.

It's a shame that's happening now, but I don't think that those additions have been failures. In fact, those guys up until now have been fantastic additions.

It just might be that the team just...isn't ready yet. That happens.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's a shame that's happening now, but I don't think that those additions have been failures. In fact, those guys up until now have been fantastic additions.

It just might be that the team just...isn't ready yet. That happens.

Also shows just how important key moments are in the playoffs, and how little room for error you have.

Avs dominate Arizona. Then don't show up for game 1 against Dallas. Then have a bunch of breaks go against them in game 2 and can't come back. Now they're down 2-0.

With every team good now, and coaching and goaltending being so much better across the board then it used to be, you have to be firing on all cylinders to win the Cup.

The moment you have a hiccup or two, your season is in danger.

Reactions: Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I was busy and not able to watch it till just now. God am I pissed off.

Pavelski is a cheating piece of shit who should be suspended for that f***ing dive on the Cole cross-check. Usually, refs are reluctant to hand out 5-on-3s and let things go more when there's already a powerplay, but for some reason they allow Pavelski to basically throw himself into the net and get away with it. I can't even count the number of uncalled penalties against Dallas so far when we already had a man advantage (or there was a delayed call).

Then I learned that it's perfectly okay to score by pushing a goalie's pad with your stick. Do the refs really think he only touched the puck with this stick, or did they forget the rule where you can't score by pushing the goalie into the net?

Add in a a lucky goal off Radulov's chest and you have a Dallas win.

Yeah, Donskoi should have been able to keep up with Lindell. Yeah Girard shouldn't have just stood there watching. Yeah, some of our players are playing like garbage, but we still deserved to win that game, and anyone who gives Dallas an ounce of credit for that "win" can kiss my ass.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Very disappointing. Avs aren't as close as I thought they were. There are about 5 teams who would be tougher in a series than Dallas.

Reactions: AvsWraith

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018

giphy.gif
Cole shouldn't have risked the needless cross check when the puck was nowhere near Pavelski, but f*ck me is that not the biggest dive on the planet...I didn't see it in real time but after seeing this, for f*cks sake...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cole shouldn't have risked the needless cross check when the puck was nowhere near Pavelski, but f*ck me is that not the biggest dive on the planet...I didn't see it in real time but after seeing this, for f*cks sake...

It looks worse in the video above. It still looks bad in the gif, but the frame rate makes it look like a mini cross check, when really he barely extended on a very light shove you see about 50 times a game.

What I don't get is why the trailing refs keep making these calls when their partners with the better view aren't? This has led to a bunch of bad calls in these playoffs.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Im sorry I asked. My god this is worst then what I remembered. All that time and space and Nieto shoots it a guy.

Reactions: missionAvs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Very disappointing. Avs aren't as close as I thought they were. There are about 5 teams who would be tougher in a series than Dallas.
Most of us saw this coming. Thats why this whole cup contender shit was premature. The Avs will be legit cup contenders soon its just not this year. They still need to shore up that D and i've always had questions about the goaltending and well...

Reactions: drhiii

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I was busy and not able to watch it till just now. God am I pissed off.

Pavelski is a cheating piece of shit who should be suspended for that f***ing dive on the Cole cross-check. Usually, refs are reluctant to hand out 5-on-3s and let things go more when there's already a powerplay, but for some reason they allow Pavelski to basically throw himself into the net and get away with it. I can't even count the number of uncalled penalties against Dallas so far when we already had a man advantage (or there was a delayed call).

Then I learned that it's perfectly okay to score by pushing a goalie's pad with your stick. Do the refs really think he only touched the puck with this stick, or did they forget the rule where you can't score by pushing the goalie into the net?

Add in a a lucky goal off Radulov's chest and you have a Dallas win.

Yeah, Donskoi should have been able to keep up with Lindell. Yeah Girard shouldn't have just stood there watching. Yeah, some of our players are playing like garbage, but we still deserved to win that game, and anyone who gives Dallas an ounce of credit for that "win" can kiss my ass.
if he should get suspended for anything it should be that spear that the damn refs called a slash.

Reactions: MarkT

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
It looks worse in the video above. It still looks bad in the gif, but the frame rate makes it look like a mini cross check, when really he barely extended on a very light shove you see about 50 times a game.

What I don't get is why the trailing refs keep making these calls when their partners with the better view aren't? This has led to a bunch of bad calls in these playoffs.
Yeah, I missed it live and so I only saw the slow-mo replay which made it look like a major cross check. I've seen Sammy G throw harder cross checks than that. Infuriating, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad